Scotrail

ScottR96

It isn't.
They train you and then place you.
Sorry, I know people who have gone through that system and were successfully placed.
Exactly they are a company you pay for training who as part of that give you a work placement that may or may not result in a job. How exactly is that going to bust the railway union strikes.

What they are doing is standard and is not as you initially claimed a supplier of "contractors". Your on a placement as part of training you are paying this company to provide. They are not supplying contractors.

Nobody said anything about "contractor rates".
Oh and you're wrong.
Again.
Right at the bottom of this page:
IT Academy | Sparta Global
is the following:-

After building your skills through your training, projects and practical learning, you’ll work as a Spartan consultant on exciting projects with our clients
Ah it's consultants now, I thought we were talking about contractors. Two totally different things but nice wriggling.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:
That sort of system may work for IT companies, but even taking someone at the most basic level of train maintenance, they will have served a 4 year apprenticeship as a mechanical or electrical technician, (rail operators prefer their maintenance workers to be dual trained on both the electrical and mechanical systems), will have at least an HNC in a mechanical or electrical field, as well as an SVQ Level 3. Electricians are required to hold even more qualifications (17th edition, high voltage training etc), and that’s before you even get into the safety aspect that varies from depot to depot, things like trackside awareness, PTS etc. Thats the minimum you would need to even change a brake pad on a train. Train maintenance guys are working beside 25Kv main lines, if you even get within a metre and a half of that kind of voltage it throws you about 20 feet away and you are almost certainly dead. It’s not the kind of job that people would hold those sort of qualifications for and then sit around the house waiting for a phone call. Anyone who has took the time to get trained to that level, will more than likely already be employed in the rail industry. I understand you were only putting a suggestion out there, but there is so many things wrong with trying to implement something like that, that any sensible person could see in an instance that it’s completely unworkable. 

Same thing applies with signallers, shunters, drivers. You don’t hold the qualifications to work as a signaller unless you are already working as a signaller. I think some people underestimate just how many people are required in order for trains to run without disruption. Taking on ‘promising school leavers’ isn’t going to cut it im afraid, unless you are happy to travel on a rail network ran by a bunch of 18 year olds. 

No ICT company I know is going to pay contractor rates to a kid straight out of school with a few weeks at a training agency behind them. I suspect he has seen the Spartans glossy social media platforms on his hours of daily silver surfing.

I will be honest I don’t really know what he’s talking about, as I’ve never heard of a service like that for contractors. It certainly doesn’t exist in the rail industry, for the reasons I’ve explained above, and it would be completely unworkable as a solution for the Government to cover striking workers. Strikes last days or weeks at the most, what is this pool of qualified rail workers doing for the other 50 weeks of the year? Sitting waiting for a phone call for 5 days work, or going out and getting a 2 year contract within the rail industry? 

There’s rail contract jobs in London paying £45p/h, 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday. Absolutely no one in their right mind is going to be sitting there in some ‘contractor pool’, waiting for Grant Shapps to give them 2 days work. 

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

‘National Conversation’ :lol: 

Karen on Twitter and the Chief Mammy running the country both think that scum drinking on the train is a disgrace = here ends the 'National Conversation'. 

I'm not arguing semantics with you.
Just admit you were wrong and gie us peace.
Only one person talking shit here and it ain't me so will be admitting nowt. Contractor / consultant = Semantics lol. If you don't know the difference (wee clue about £1500 per day for starters) then I presume you haven't worked in IT for a very long time.

You have cited a training agency youngsters can pay to give them a crash course which includes a work placement as an example of a model that railway companies could use to run a service while their employees are on strike. I suspect you need to spend more time out in the real world and less time on line.

Speaking of which off out for a few beers in the Ayrshire sun and watch Goodwood and Galway races.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not saying I agree with the model.

I'm simply saying that they train and place people to become consultants.

Not one of them will talk about being a Spartan on site.

Do you think Scotrails fleet of trains maintain themselves? Every single night of the week there is maintenance schedules taking place all across Scotland, to keep the millions of passengers who travel on these trains every year safe. 

Walk me through how you become a consultant that has the academic and safety qualifications in order to be allowed to work on trains? Go to a local college one night and walk out with an apprenticeship and an HNC? It requires manual work, by people trained over a number of years to be able to carry out the job safely. You just simply don’t get ‘mechanical’ consultants. You might get engineers with a mechanical degree as a consultant, but he’s hardly going to be under trains changing brake pads. 

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS I didn't say it DID exist in the rail industry. I said that IMO, this is the way it could go.

The problem with you and Billy Jean is that you don't fucking listen. 😂

Honestly, what a pair.

You suggested it would be a solution to replace striking workers. I simply explained why it’s an absolutely ridiculous idea that wouldn’t even be considered by anyone with half a brain. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I might be able to answer that one.

They'll use a body shop which put it's employees through an intensive training program.

Large companies do this already to take advantage of finding cheap programmers for large IT systems. They use a body shop company who take promising school leavers and people without qualifications and/or experience and put them through 12 weeks of intensive training  (without pay by the way) before integrating them into the large company teams. They are not employees of the large company. They remain employees of the body shop (sometimes for a fixed number of years) and in that way can be hired and fired en-masse without the large company having to declare it publicly. It's a very successful business model and if it works for IT systems, I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work in the rail industry.

That would be my guess.

And it wouldn't take very long to get to the point where you had a pool of people capable of stepping in at a moment's notice who are not union members.

For ticket collectors and bin men?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Karen on Twitter and the Chief Mammy running the country both think that scum drinking on the train is a disgrace = here ends the 'National Conversation'. 

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 

Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.

Just now, Clown Job said:

Not even allowed on the train if you’re drunk apparently 

Rather leave vulnerable women who are intoxicated at the platform than allow them a safe journey home.

I get the point here, but anyone drunk is vulnerable surely?

Not trying to distract from the utter wallopers that are scotrail.

20 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I get the point here, but anyone drunk is vulnerable surely?

Not trying to distract from the utter wallopers that are scotrail.

No you’re spot on

A taxi can also refuse you if you’re drunk 

So how do they expect people to get home after a night out exactly? 

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

No you’re spot on

A taxi can also refuse you if you’re drunk 

So how do they expect people to get home after a night out exactly? 

Well according to the 1872 licensing act you shouldn't be drunk in a public place so the problem shouldn't arise 😂

6 minutes ago, RiG said:
How it started...

How it's going...

Absolutely pathetic.

Seen this reply on here and it wouldn’t surprise me if this happens in the future.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Why does the SG treat the Scottish public with such utter contempt? 

Because they don’t like people having fun. 

22 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Seen this reply on here and it wouldn’t surprise me if this happens in the future.

Because they don’t like people having fun. 

It’s just fuckin lazy government. I bet when this ‘national conversation’ happens they will say anti social incidents on trains are way down. 

But that’s in the same way you’d have less car accidents if you banned driving. 

Tackle the culture of folk drinking irresponsibly and put in measures so that folk that want a drink and families wanting a quiet trip can get on the same train. But that’s too hard and too much effort, just ban the booze. 

Yeah there won’t be any kind of ‘national conversation’ at all, that’s just buzzword nonsense.
The decision has already been made by the people that matter and the results of some lip service survey and/or focus group findings won’t make a slightest bit of difference to anything.
The only question now is what this fun police government we keep electing is going to go after next. Alcohol in airports would be my guess.