Scotrail

ScottR96

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Without bothering my arse to do too much digging,  how the f**k has the dispute been resolved with Scotrail still reliant on overtime?  Surely the main aim from their point of view would be to implement a 7 day modern rota?

Because the union rep already said that while they are more than happy to give up their overtime they'd want paid for it anyway.

They'll never give that bargaining chip up because it means they can do this as often as they like.

47 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

5% which they accepted instead of 4.2% which they rejected 2 months ago is a difference of 0.8%

0.8% of £50k is £400 per year or £33 per month.

On £50k all of that increase will be taxed at 40% with NI thrown in.

What did I miss?

The extra money for working rest days.  The extra money for working Sundays.  The £2.5k per year if Scotrail hits financial targets.

This deal is worth way more than the 5% headline.

13 hours ago, MotownClic said:

So is the £195 monthly target bonus.

For getting to the right destination on time?

12 hours ago, superbigal said:

Presumably when all the newly trained drivers hit the tracks in due course, then overtime (which I assume has a premium) will be binned ?

Aye, that'll be right.

"How is that new guy working Sunday, that was always my shift"?

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Without bothering my arse to do too much digging,  how the f**k has the dispute been resolved with Scotrail still reliant on overtime?  Surely the main aim from their point of view would be to implement a 7 day modern rota?

I'm sure I heard last night that Scotrail are looking to recruit an additional 200 drivers. I've not dug too deep either but Scotgov has only just taken this back into state ownership and if the previous private operator used a model which relied on fewer drivers (staff in general) and more overtime, that's going to take time to resolve.

On 20/06/2022 at 10:28, strichener said:

Congratulations on your first post! 

I am really interested on where there is a statement that the public sector consists of higher skilled workers.  I think you may be misunderstanding the words that you are reading.  If anything the report content would imply the exact opposite of that.

I look forward to your second post which might even be able to show some evidence of a half truth or misinformation.  I have my doubts.

Sure, apologies for delay, was away on holiday and I left you questioning your indefatigability (which I salute)!

Grauniad summary: https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/mar/27/public-private-sector-pay

ONS publication : https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20160107050914/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lmac/public-and-private-sector-earnings/2012/estimating-differences-in-public-and-private-sector-pay.html#tab-Differences-between-the-public-and-private-sectors

Due an update this year so we can shortly have the same argument over again, which I know you love!

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We should hope that's not the case.

The Scottish government are on the hook for funding half of this pay rise meaning public service cuts (as I warned right at the start of this discussion).

There will have to be fare increases to pay for the rest of it.

But power to the people and unions and all that bollocks

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And the very people who actually believe in that principle will be the first in line to complain when fares rise and public service cuts are made to pay for it all - as though the two things are somehow not connected.

Shouldn't be much of a price hike to pay a few drivers an extra £33 a month, should it?

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Partly, yes.

Of course it is.

As expenses increase, fares will increase.

The wage bill is extortionate.

I might be wrong but I think it's in the ball park of £250 million per annum.

5% of that is an extra £12.5 million every year from here on in.

Someone will have to pay for that.

A quick check of Abellio's accounts shows them making a loss for the last few years before they lost their franchise and they had an enormous debt. That's why fares keep going up.

Train companies made a loss through the years everyone was locked up in their houses? Shocked.

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, makes you wonder why the Dutch wanted to continue their contract if it was nothing but a loss maker for them. 

Raise fares, cut staff, cut services, get a bigger subsidy from the government.  May ways to change it from loss to profit.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Raise fares, cut staff, cut services, get a bigger subsidy from the government.  May ways to change it from loss to profit.

It was that sort of performance that led to them being binned. Not terrific business sense if that was the plan.