Scotrail

ScottR96

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is a 'ticket examiner' a now, new reinvented 'conductor'?

I seen a few of the latter were up last week at £33k a year and they've all gone and are now replaced with the former, on ~£28k a year.

A ticket examiner I guess would work at the station where there isn't an automated barrier 

I seen a few of the latter were up last week at £33k a year and they've all gone and are now replaced with the former, on ~£28k a year.
Not yet. Two different roles. TE's get slightly less because they just sell tickets whereas Conductors operate the doors as well so it's regarded as a safety critical job. I think in time the idea will be to just have TEs on trains.

26 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

£5k extra a year to turn a key and press a button 🤣

I don’t think you quite understand how incredible the safety responsibility is. It’s a highly, highly skilled job which only those passing the most strenuous concentration tests can manage. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not yet. Two different roles. TE's get slightly less because they just sell tickets whereas Conductors operate the doors as well so it's regarded as a safety critical job. I think in time the idea will be to just have TEs on trains.

Take it conductors still do PTS and route knowledge?  

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

£5k extra a year to turn a key and press a button 🤣

TBF, you then take on the safety responsibility of train dispatch. If your employer wants you to take more responsibility it's fair enough to get more cash than another colleague that doesn't take that on.  

22 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We sold Dianna Moran, the Green Goddess ? A tad extreme but I did wonder why she vanished off our screens.

Still fighting fit in her 80s...

2_Diana_Moran_SJ_076a.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Take it conductors still do PTS and route knowledge?  

TBF, you then take on the safety responsibility of train dispatch. If your employer wants you to take more responsibility it's fair enough to get more cash than another colleague that doesn't take that on.  

Pretty sure that the employers wanted to remove that responsibility - because it is a completely pointless anachronism - a few years ago, only for the unions to call rounds of strikes and contrive utter bullshit excuses to keep it. 

Newly-nationalised ScotRail has published the salaries of its senior management for the first time.

The operator is required to disclose leadership pay to bring it into line with other non-departmental public bodies. 

Politicians had previously called for a full disclosure but it has taken ScotRail three months for the information to be published.

Transport Scotland said the salaries were "commensurate with market rates"

The RMT union said it believed the operator deliberately postponed publishing salaries of senior staff while negotiations over industrial action by its members were ongoing.

ScotRail has said its pay is reflective of having to attract and retain individuals with the skills required to lead the operator.

BBC Scotland can reveal chief operating officer Joanne Maguire earns between £180,000 and £185,000 in her role as ScotRail's most senior official.

The former vice principal at the University of West of Scotland had no previous experience in the rail industry before securing the role, which was announced last December.

Meanwhile, interim finance director James Griffin is paid between £170,000 and £175,000 and David Lister, who is safety, sustainability and asset director, has a salary in the range of £150,000 to £155,000.

Mr Lister is also given £7,500 as part of a car allowance.

The operator also confirmed service delivery director David Simpson earns between £135,000 and £140,000 and commercial director Lesley Kane is paid between £130,000 and £135,000. Both are also in receipt of the additional car payment.

Interim HR director Marie-Therese Weighton and interim communications director David Ross are both paid between £115,000 and £120,000.

The Scottish government set up a separate organisation called Scottish Rail Holdings (SRH) to help oversee ScotRail after it was taken into public ownership on 1 April.

It has also published the salaries of its executives.

SRH has two people on its senior team, chief executive officer Chris Gibb and finance director David Lowrie.

Both Mr Gibb, who is paid £120,000, and Mr Lowrie, who earns £108,000, are part-time and are contracted to work three days a week.

The highest-paid executive in Scotland's rail industry remains Alex Hynes, who is the managing director of Scotland's Railway. 

It is made up of around 150 rail groups tasked with improving Scotland's rail network.

The former managing director of ScotRail earns up to £335,000, which is paid by Network Rail.

When he was originally appointed to lead ScotRail in 2017, Mr Hynes' basic pay was reportedly £255,000-per-year.

The figures have been published after a turbulent period for Scotland's railways.

In recent weeks, services have been disrupted due to action by the Aslef and RMT unions over pay and conditions for staff.

In May, ScotRail introduced a temporary timetable which cut about 700 daily services after drivers refused to work on their rest days.

And last month, the operator cancelled 90% of its trains during three days of strike action by the RMT union.

'Obscene'

Both the RMT and Aslef have now agreed to suspend industrial action after agreeing a 5% pay increase for their members as well as a freeze on compulsory redundancies for five years.

After details of the top earners were published, Mick Hogg, the RMT's regional organiser for Scotland, branded executive pay in the Scottish rail industry as "obscene."

He said: "A lot of our members are annoyed by the size of these pay packets and feel they far outweigh what they bring to the table and what they have offered our members.

"In my opinion, they deliberately postponed publishing these figures as part of a ploy over negotiations.

"Our members have been portrayed as greedy rail workers looking for a fast buck.

"But it as clear as day as to who the greedy are and it's the executive teams running Scotland's rail network."

Both the RMT and Aslef have now agreed to suspend industrial action after agreeing a 5% pay increase for their members as well as a freeze on compulsory redundancies for five years.

Not sure you can suspend something that never happened. Taking a chance saying this when the votes haven't been counted yet either.

I realise this isn’t about Scotrail, but given there has been chatter about inheritances etc on this thread I’d thought I’d share this hilarious idea here

Inherit your parents debt!

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I realise this isn’t about Scotrail, but given there has been chatter about inheritances etc on this thread I’d thought I’d share this hilarious idea here

The sort of idea befitting a government in a death spiral. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I hope to f*** my old man and old dear haven't seen this!

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I didn't know until recently that 30-35 year term mortgages were a thing, never mind being a popular choice in the FTB market. 

Presumably those terms have been promoted after the financial crash to try and keep the housing bubble going, and so here we are with the 'logical' extension. 

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

I didn't know until recently that 30-35 year term mortgages were a thing, never mind being a popular choice in the FTB market. 

Presumably those terms have been promoted after the financial crash to try and keep the housing bubble going, and so here we are with the 'logical' extension. 

My son had to take one like that, his might even be 40. The positives are, it's a start, his repayment is much less than rent. But he knows he'll need to up the money and shorten the time when he renews his deal.

The next "offer" will be a never ending mortgage, which isn't unlike the latest proposal.

We called it a council house in my day.

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure you can suspend something that never happened. Taking a chance saying this when the votes haven't been counted yet either.

Poster simply states a fact - that there's an ongoing ballot on the matter which hasn't even closed yet, let alone the votes been counted and announced. The topic being discussed was executive pay within Scotrail where there has been no industrial action, and no pay deal has been agreed. Pretty simple stuff that the writer of the article really should have got right.

It's entirely possible that strike action could still be called and the post quoted by @19QOS19 is completely wrong and misleading, yet a simple clarification still attracts down votes from the usual suspects?. Some place.!!