Scotrail

ScottR96

23 hours ago, virginton said:

Train drivers were offered more money, went on strike, and are set to accept ba higher rate of pay. At no point did they face 'less money'. 

It's really not up to them because they are now working for a government-owned organisation and so it is the public that now pays their wages and expects a service that isn't a total fucking omnishambles in exchange. 

The public isn't paying for the pay rises of Scotrail staff, the Scottish Government are the largest shareholder in Scotrail.  Any wages rises come out of any potential profits Scotrail make, if in the unlikely event Scotrail makes a loss the Scottish Goverment doesn't fund those loses.  If anything the Scottish Goverment is likely to receive a dividend from the annual profits from Scotrail which will allow them to increase Goverment spending.

2 minutes ago, WhaleOilBeefHucked said:

The public isn't paying for the pay rises of Scotrail staff, the Scottish Government are the largest shareholder in Scotrail.  Any wages rises come out of any potential profits Scotrail make, if in the unlikely event Scotrail makes a loss the Scottish Goverment doesn't fund those loses.  If anything the Scottish Goverment is likely to receive a dividend from the annual profits from Scotrail which will allow them to increase Goverment spending.

Scottish Government - Profits?

I think you should rethink this.

Just now, WhaleOilBeefHucked said:

The only time in recent history where Scotrail wasn't profitable was when nobody was using the trains during lockdown.  Companies which have monopoly tend to be profitable.

I think they got a guaranteed profit from meeting performance targets in their contract, paid by Government subsidies. No railway is profitable in the UK without tax payer subsidies, at least we won't be doling out cash to shareholders and the Dutch government anymore.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I think they got a guaranteed profit from meeting performance targets in their contract, paid by Government subsidies. No railway is profitable in the UK without tax payer subsidies, at least we won't be doling out cash to shareholders and the Dutch government anymore.

The Government subsidies are included in the income of the Scotrail , this does allow them to make a profit and pay Shareholders a dividend.  The point I was trying to make is that the Scottish Government won't be funding any losses or paying wages, they may receive a dividend due to Scotrail making a profit each year which they can use for anything they wish.  If they wanted they could use the dividends to increase the wages of other public sector workers.

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I will hold my hands up, I fucked up and I half read an article and was looking at the Abellio accounts rather than the Abellio ScotRail accounts.

Read this article - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14762449.abellio-making-1-million-profit-month-scotrail-franchise/

"NEW ScotRail operator Abellio made a profit of £1 million a month after taking over the railway franchise last year. "

"Previous accounts showed that First Group's profits from the ScotRail franchise increased steadily from £14.2m to £19m during its final three years as operator."

On 18/06/2022 at 15:38, Bairnardo said:

The public "actively pay their wages"? 

Are you one of these folk that goes up to coppers giving it "I pay your wages mate!!!"

Scotgov has actively pushed the "arms length" company line, but even if it hadn't, the idea that the priorities of the Scotrail employees should suddenly shift, a couple of months post-nationalisation, to being dedicated servants of the hard working public (these people are working marks just like the rest of us) and they should forego their rights to industrial action and collective bargaining is an absolute minter. 

And ALL of that aside, its difficult to believe that your issue here is with the extra couple of percent they have fought for, when the entirety of their wages, overtime, any bonuses etc now comes out the public purse. Why don't you just be honest and tell us you don't thik these people deserve to earn what they earn, based on your arbitrrily arrived at beliefs on who is worth what?

The French railways who know a thing or two about industrial action either aren't or have very strict rules about striking seeing as they are providing an essential service. Not sure how or when that came about but it makes sense, especially if we are serious about moving to a climate negative country.

6 hours ago, WhaleOilBeefHucked said:

, if in the unlikely event Scotrail makes a loss the Scottish .

😂😂😂

The profit that First or Abellio made is far, far less than the subsidy provided by the Scottish Government.

Edited by strichener

On 18/06/2022 at 09:01, strichener said:

I see some public sector slacker has taken exception to the fact that the public sector can't continue with the claim that they are the poor cousins in the employment market. 

Typically not confident enough to actually provide an opinion but does the P&B equivalent of the "sorry they don't speak to the public" rebuff that you get when you want to speak to someone in the council that can actually resolve issues - uses a dotting account 

@quirks

Yup, your own source went on to state that public sector workers are higher qualified than private sector so not comparing like for like. You've a habit of half truths and misinformation.

I presume you're at the vanguard of a campaign for cleaner's wages for nurses, teachers, etc?

7 hours ago, WhaleOilBeefHucked said:

The Government subsidies are included in the income of the Scotrail , this does allow them to make a profit and pay Shareholders a dividend.  The point I was trying to make is that the Scottish Government won't be funding any losses or paying wages, they may receive a dividend due to Scotrail making a profit each year which they can use for anything they wish.  If they wanted they could use the dividends to increase the wages of other public sector workers.

So scotgov pays subsidies to scotrail and could receive dividends back if/when scotrail makes a profit

Do you see the issue here? Thats like taking a bank loan to stick in a savings account

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

So scotgov pays subsidies to scotrail and could receive dividends back if/when scotrail makes a profit

Do you see the issue here? Thats like taking a bank loan to stick in a savings account

It’s worse than that surely.  Any dividends received would be subject to 37.5% dividend tax I would assume.  That would be payable to the UK exchequer.

Scotgov gives money to Scotrail that allows it to potentially make a profit.  A good chunk of any profit is then handed to Sunak rather than Scotgov.

The above could be completely wrong of course.  I’m not intimate with the dividend details of the arms length company.  There may be special arrangements that fiddle any dividend tax due.

12 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Neck Oil is the name of the product he was drinking not some generic term for beers

Yeah its Beaverton - the Hillhead Bookclub in Glasgow does some of their stuff. It's really nice. 

However going my the choice of tipple on the return leg of the journey, I am (snootily) surmising that it wasn't  Beaverton IPA consumed on the train. 

I however am most likely quite wrong : )

13 hours ago, quirks said:

Yup, your own source went on to state that public sector workers are higher qualified than private sector so not comparing like for like. You've a habit of half truths and misinformation.

I presume you're at the vanguard of a campaign for cleaner's wages for nurses, teachers, etc?

Congratulations on your first post! 

I am really interested on where there is a statement that the public sector consists of higher skilled workers.  I think you may be misunderstanding the words that you are reading.  If anything the report content would imply the exact opposite of that.

I look forward to your second post which might even be able to show some evidence of a half truth or misinformation.  I have my doubts.

Edited by strichener

On 19/06/2022 at 10:44, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I've never had any conductor mentioning not being allowed alcohol on a train before, I think similar to what VT said when it comes to individuals it's disproportionate. Basically if you look like a scrawny wee jakey they'll probably chance it but if you're a handsome tall hard c**t they'll not chance it. 

Some very revealing outcomes being shared right enough. 

PCD (Pre-Covid Days) the used to regularly get the evening train Aberdeen to Glasgow. Have a couple of bottles of wine or some tines. If train left at 18.40 it was due at GQS at 21.22 ( 22mins into the then no drinking between 9pm and whatever time it stopped in the morning ). Finishing last glass of wine or can at 21.10 and quite often the conductor would mention you can't drink that now, need to put it away. Seemed ridiculous as was on GQS left to stop and and was obviously getting off.

Nowadays no fucks given by any staff.

This week's strikes are definitely on. Guardian:

2m ago
Rail strike to go ahead after last-minute talks fail to resolve dispute, RMT union says
The rail strikes are to go ahead after last-ditch talks failed to resolve a dispute over pay, jobs and conditions, the RMT union has said.

5 hours ago, strichener said:

Congratulations on your first post! 

I am really interested on where there is a statement that the public sector consists of higher skilled workers.  I think you may be misunderstanding the words that you are reading.  If anything the report content would imply the exact opposite of that.

I look forward to your second post which might even be able to show some evidence of a half truth or misinformation.  I have my doubts.

Oh and welcome to P and B !!

FTFY