Scotrail

ScottR96

I'm sure that all of you on here who are praising these strikes from people who are already predominantly on over £40 to £50k will be happy to pay more in tax and/or prices to cover the increases. Fair play to you.
We already pay higher taxes - my last pay rise worked out as 1.6% after tax and not the headline 3.25%.

The headline about education strikes is also nonsense - teachers have already settled this year - it's the support staff (in education) who are being balloted along with other non-education council staff

I'm not at all against teachers and binmen asking for raises. I've been a teacher myself so have sympathies.

I wouldn't class someone earning well above median wage without any savings to get them through tough times to be financially prudent.
It's not bin men and class room assistants per se, the headlines are slightly misleading. It's all Council employees (teachers negotiate separately to other Council workers). The cleansing workers and classroom assistants are being pulled out as realistically they are the areas most likely to have a significant effect within the Council sphere. It's not even a given it will happen. The joint union ballots don't even close until mid July and the threshold required to legitimise any strike is difficult to achieve in big workforces like those served by Unison and the GMB.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
The usual suspects moaning about workers having the audacity to ask for more - I assume these same people are content with their wages and wouldn't dream of asking for a wage rise?

You mean the failed History teacher?

Who is the failed history teacher? 

It would be nice to be able to say, okay lads, inflation is running at 10 percent, so the top one third earners are going to be income taxed at 15 percent more. The middle third in the public sector will receive something in line with the train drivers. 

Increase the minimum wage to at least the rate of inflation. 

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm not at all against teachers and binmen asking for raises. I've been a teacher myself so have sympathies.

I wouldn't class someone earning well above median wage without any savings to get them through tough times to be financially prudent.

It's understandable that a teacher with a family will look to move from a small flat to a bigger place, maybe a house with a garden when time served salary increases. Accommodation is a big slice of most people's budget and I don't know how they could have been expected to predict the triple whammy of Brexit, pandemic and war hitting prices and interest rates like they have.   

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Again, your same weird hangup about folk having savings and financial prudity. Neither have anything to do with folk fighting for their right to try and get a raise that means their money holds at least the same value year on year, and why would you accept just going ahead and doing the same job for effectively less than you did the year before, above median or not?

Everyone will feel the effects of the fuel price increases etc, some very obviously more than others. But likewise, absolutely everyone has the right to fight their own battles to be the least worse-off they can be at the end of the day. Prudent or not.

Edited by 'WellDel

Again, your same weird hangup about folk having savings and financial prudity. Neither have anything to do with folk fighting for their right to try and get a raise that means their money holds at least the same value year on year, and why would you accept just going ahead and doing the same job for effectively less than you did the year before, above median or not?
Everyone will feel the effects of the fuel price increases etc, some very obviously more than others. But likewise, absolutely everyone has the right to fight their own battles to be the least worse-off they can be at the end of the day. Prudent or not.
You might also be forgiven for thinking that the savings for which you have sacrificed over the years, might be better spent in the future than using them to enable to daylight robbery of the Big 6 energy companies whilst our govt do f**k all, and so choosing to fight for the value of your labour rather meekly accepting some mandating that your savings are not in fact your savings, but a buffer to allow companies to f**k you and the media cheer them on.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't know where it would fit in in the curriculum but I'd certainly be all for it. It's not just young folk who are shit with money. I have relatives and work colleagues well older than me who just can't seem to live within their means. Fair play to anyone who spends what they don't have on a regular basis. I'm too much of a shitebag for that.

Cut out Religious Education for a start, and teach budgeting instead. Imo.

I've never said I have a problem with anyone asking for a raise. I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.

It's really not a hangup, I mentioned it once and people disagreed so I entered into a discussion about it. That's how conversations usually work.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

You asked a question and I answered it honestly.

You don't like the answer? Fair enough.

As for what Bairnardo thinks? The guy is perpetually one of life's victims. I couldn't give a f**k what he thinks.

mrw-i-get-downvoted-on-a-sub-that-i-created-and-only-has-two-subscribers-including-me-151187.gif

Are there any workplaces that could have a proper old school ‘bricks lobbed at people breaking the strike’ type of strike?

My dad was a union rep in the 70s and while he was in a fairly relaxed union, some of the related ones in his workplace weren’t averse to beating up people who were hostile to them in disputes etc.

Serious question. These agency workers drafted in to fill in for those striking. Where the tap dancing f**k are these agencies going to get available far less qualified staff from? 
It's likely unworkable "look at us stopping the country being held to ransom by greedy public servants" dog whistling.

Nothing the gammon hates to see more than someone fighting for, and getting something that they aren't just being handed for licking the boot.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Where did you teach that you only got a £ above minimum wage?