Scotrail

ScottR96

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

No doubt emboldened by the rail workers, that's the post office striking now.

They want more than 2% too.

I'm sure this will all end well and that money will be magically found for everyone.

Pay freeze last year and a 2% offer for this year. Inflation is currently 9%.

Of course, the post office workers are the problem here.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

No doubt emboldened by the rail workers, that's the post office striking now.

They want more than 2% too.

I'm sure this will all end well and that money will be magically found for everyone.

They found enough to pay the bankers' bonuses in 2008, so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Between food and energy price rises plus tax changes the entire country has effectively been given a paycut (Great Reset in action obviously).
Industrial disputes will be become far more frequent. 
Aswell they should, because anyone who doesn't think many, many employers will seek to use the situation opportunistically is a moron. This is exactly the time for average working people to protect themselves.

The man of the people mask is slipping again. Effective pay cuts for all unless you're of vital importance, FFS  :P

Perhaps they should all go self-employed. That was Oaksoft's magic bullet a few years back.

56 minutes ago, BFTD said:
The man of the people mask is slipping again. Effective pay cuts for all unless you're of vital importance, FFS  [emoji14]
Perhaps they should all go self-employed. That was Oaksoft's magic bullet a few years back.

Hes doing that on the Work Colleagues thread, his "just find a job you like doing, idiot" shtick is about to get going again

Edited by Bairnardo

Demands for inflation matching pay rises aren't realistic when inflation is running more than double the target rate. I'm all for public sectors getting inflationary pay rises when things are on target, which hasn't often happened in the decade of austerity, but there isn't the money to do it now.  It would also run the risk of a supply side inflationary problem widening if all public workers were given 9%.

I work in the third sector. I haven't had an inflationary pay rise of more than 1.5% in the last 10 years (1% this year). We are funded by both national and local government to provide certain services and are normally subject to 3 year funding cycles. There is no proposal, nor any realistic expectation, that any extra money would be made available under current contracts. 

The nurses had a go.
Followed by rail staff and now posties.
I wonder who will be next in line to demand a massive pay increase?
Maybe the police?
Fire brigade must be due a strike again surely.

For it to be considered a massive pay increase they'd have to be asking for a payrise above inflation surely? I don't think any of the ones mentioned have asked for such a thing.

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

For it to be considered a massive pay increase they'd have to be asking for a payrise above inflation surely? I don't think any of the ones mentioned have asked for such a thing.

Well no, because the inflation rate itself is 'massive' by most historical contexts. 

I'm much more sympathetic to workers on the average wage or lower keeping track with inflation (a squeeze on higher earners is long overdue), but the fact remains that the 9% inflation isn't going to convert into 9% higher turnover for businesses, or 9% growth in the everyday economy. The windfall will largely be collected by primary energy suppliers who are now quite rightly being taxed on that (and more should follow). 

The combination of price rises, wage demands and increased costs for most businesses spells a significant recession. The sensible fight for unions should be for improved conditions (reduced working hours, recognition of existing unpaid labour etc.) rather than just adding to an inflationary spiral that leads nowhere good. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The nurses had a go.

Followed by rail staff and now posties.

I wonder who will be next in line to demand a massive pay increase?

Maybe the police?

Fire brigade must be due a strike again surely.

It's not the Posties, they work for Royal Mail which is a separate entity to the Post Office

On 02/06/2022 at 16:25, Bairnardo said:

The automation of peoples jobs is totally separate debate tbh, probably well worth a thread in its own right. But I certainly don't think a pishy wee Scotrail trains dispute can be blamed for hastening the advancement of this type of technology on a worldwide scale. Theres no one signing off unlimited overtime over at Boston Dynamics because a few trains got cancelled in Scotland.

I certainly don't see a single advantage for society in handing peoples jobs over to machines. 

Any union thats workforce is prime candidates for automation that aren't using some of the campaigning capital for Universal Basic Income are doing their members a major disservice 25 years from now.

On 27/05/2022 at 23:14, sophia said:

That's a very good try but forgive me, it is a semi skilled job, a very well paid semi skilled job but semi skilled nevertheless.

A bit like a Chemist, who is good at finding stuff that's written down* and selling aftershave, tweezers and fanny pads.

*Sean Lock

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

It really annoys me they can cause such massive disruption over a pay dispute without having to strike.

It’s absolutely intolerable our service runs on goodwill and overtime 

Why should drivers have to work overtime and on their rest days to maintain a service? Working too long hours and not having a break could lead to safety concerns. Should a driver cause an accident due to exhaustion, no doubt you would be the first to complain.

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why should drivers have to work overtime and on their rest days to maintain a service? Working too long hours and not having a break could lead to safety concerns. Should a driver cause an accident due to exhaustion, no doubt you would be the first to complain.

If that's the case they should be banned from doing it and contracted hours only enforced.