Scotrail

ScottR96

9 minutes ago, Empty It said:

VikingTory is very bitter about train drivers getting paid more than him for pushing a few buttons and looking out a window.

Imagine the horror of him mistaking Sigismund I for Sigismund II in a paper though.. 

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

You been pumped and dumped by a train driver lately or something? You seem very down on the profession other than just about the pay.

Tedium and monotony are quite possible, but that's when remaining switched on and focused is essential, losing concentration for only seconds could be costly, whether it's on the move or during station duties on a driver only service. That's why memory and concentration tests are a big part of the recruitment process, and which have very low pass rates due to their stringent nature. And when there's a fault on a train with a couple of hundred restless passengers on board that the driver needs to try and fix himself, or something goes wrong on the network or with infrastructure and they're dealing with the on track situation as well as fielding calls from the signaller and the control room at the same time, stress definitely comes into play.

But, aye, as you say it's basically just being paid to sit and look out the window all day...

That's a very good try but forgive me, it is a semi skilled job, a very well paid semi skilled job but semi skilled nevertheless.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Or alternatively now only an increase of 56% after inflation since 2001.  Such a hard done by profession.

As for stress, here is a quote from a driver -

"My main complicated decision I have to make every day is to whether to have a pain au raisin or pain au Chocolat with my coffee" (c) @Chicken Wing

Aye, that was definitely a serious post he was making as well. 

That's a very good try but forgive me, it is a semi skilled job, a very well paid semi skilled job but semi skilled nevertheless.

What's the difference between a skilled and semi-skilled job out of interest?

6 hours ago, sophia said:

Not arguing with anyones perception of the jobs skill level, just pointing out that high focus and concentration levels are required, and that it can indeed at times be a stressful job, contrary to the suggestions in a previous post.  You're really giving the Greenock guy a run for his money as the most tedious poster on this one.

Not arguing with anyones perception of the jobs skill level, just pointing out that high focus and concentration levels are required, and that it can indeed at times be a stressful job, contrary to the suggestions in a previous post.  You're really giving the Greenock guy a run for his money as the most tedious poster on this one.
Why on earth are you up at this ungodly hour on a Saturday?...

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
36 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Why on earth are you up at this ungodly hour on a Saturday?...

Unsociable hour no doubt, but that lever won't push and pull itself.

You?

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Only on this one? 

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Lots of cargo rail, little passenger…Union jobs explains the pay.

Don't the freight companies own a lot of the rails (or at least get priority)?  The information will be out there somewhere but I imagine there's more freight trains in America than passenger trains as well.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Don't the freight companies own a lot of the rails (or at least get priority)?  The information will be out there somewhere but I imagine there's more freight trains in America than passenger trains as well.

I took a train from Washington to Savannah and every so often it would have to pull into sidings to let freight trains pass. It took forever, I flew back.

I also went on a fantastic train journey from Nuevo Laredo on the Texas border to Mexico City, stopping on route. The Peso was so cheap at the time I went first class and airconditioned for £6. :lol: Sadly the line's freight only now. :(

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Yes, just one of the problems.

Based on some of the posts above, here's a suggested TV add for Scotrail, LNER etc hunting for train drivers (in the style of the Royal Navy one):

If you can work a microwave then you can push a button, and if you can see a button then you can see out of a window, and if you can do all that... then you can drive... a 14 carriage Azuma train!

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Suggested TV add for Scotrail, LNER etc hunting for train drivers, in the style of the Royal Navy one:

If you can work a microwave then you can push a button, and if you can see a button then you can see out of a window, and if you can do all that... then you can drive... a 14 carriage Azuma train!

I was born in Kilwinning, but I was made in Scotrail

On 27/05/2022 at 20:50, 19QOS19 said:

Very good emoji38.png

Come on now, I've played Train Simulator. You should be glad you actually get paid as much as you do.

Football managers, too. Piece of piss.