Scotrail

ScottR96

4 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Did you book a standard ticket for that trip to Leeds?

I travel down to the Manchester/Leeds area maybe once a year for gigs and have always used the train to get down and back. I've usually managed to get myself a good deal and manage to get down and back for well under £60.

Its an absolute ball ache at times though. You have to rake about for the best times as even the price of the Advanced Single tickets vary wildly.  I usually end up having to switch trains somewhere along the lines to save quite a bit. Train operators release their advanced tickets at different times so there have been times where I've half booked a leg of a journey and left waiting for sometimes weeks or months for the cheaper tickets for the other part(s) of the leg to be released.

It would be great if they had a ticketing system where you can put in your start and end points and get a fair, reasonable price without any faffing about but I doubt it will ever happen.

Split Ticketing website is handy for this.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m heading to Leeds next week from Edinburgh. It’s a 3hr train journey. £120.

Perth to Inverness takes an hour less but it’s £30.

What is the logic/reasonings behind this? I knew my train to Leeds would be pricey but f**k me, it’s cheaper to fly abroad. Trains are fucked.

When I lived in Leeds, Dundee-Leeds-Leeds-Dundee tickets were fucking ridiculous, even with split ticketing/finding the cheapest possible. Good luck, there's no logic behind it at all. 

Guest Flash
5 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What is the logic/reasonings behind this? I knew my train to Leeds would be pricey but f**k me, it’s cheaper to fly abroad. Trains are fucked.

Some tips on buying train tickets on the MSE website, including listing and commenting on the various websites that work out the optimum ticket splitting arrangements (in section 4). 

MSE hidden fares & split tickets

33 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

RMT have voted for strike action across the 15 operators

I read the operators were: Chiltern Railways, Cross Country Trains, Greater Anglia, LNER, East Midlands Railway, c2c, Great Western Railway, Northern Trains, South Eastern Railway, South Western Railway, Island Line, GTR (including Gatwick Express), Transpennine Express, Avanti West Coast, and West Midlands Trains.

So this wont affect Scotrail?

20 hours ago, Shannon said:

They have been big adverts for train drivers in last few years but only a few made it through their selection process. Surely should have simply took on far more drivers when selecting candidates to allow for fall off with retirements / sick leave / holiday covers / late night train cover etc.

They took on plenty at the start of 2020 but Covid prevented them from getting trained at the normal rate.

5 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I assume that is £120 off peak return?

Guest Flash
10 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I read the operators were: Chiltern Railways, Cross Country Trains, Greater Anglia, LNER, East Midlands Railway, c2c, Great Western Railway, Northern Trains, South Eastern Railway, South Western Railway, Island Line, GTR (including Gatwick Express), Transpennine Express, Avanti West Coast, and West Midlands Trains.

So this wont affect Scotrail?

It includes Network Rail who employ the signalling staff, so it’ll probably affect Scotrail services as well.

On the train just now. My carriage is plastered with 'try praying' posters. Whilst this may simply be the new temporary timetable, it feels a bit off that this is allowed on a state run service. The French have the right idea. 

1 hour ago, Eatmygoal said:

On the train just now. My carriage is plastered with 'try praying' posters. Whilst this may simply be the new temporary timetable, it feels a bit off that this is allowed on a state run service. The French have the right idea. 

Maybe that’s the only way to get a train?

Worth giving it a go.

13 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Maybe he’s talking about Stonehaven?

Yes, Stonehaven.  I think these are the cheapest tickets I have ever bought for that particular journey.  for work trips I have to book through our online booking agency and never get it is cheap as I can do so for myself on the ScotRail website.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
13 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Maybe he’s talking about Stonehaven?

Maybe, maybe not. If he'd actually said the name of the place rather than some insular nickname then there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Abody kens it as Stonie.

3 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

My carriage is plastered with 'try praying' posters. Whilst this may simply be the new temporary timetable...

Having to pray that a train turns up on time was already part and parcel of the previous timetable.

Just received an email from Scotrail (see below). I don't have any upcoming journeys booked (in fact I have absolutely no journeys booked with them). My name is also not Abdulrahim.

Screenshot_20220525-114120_Outlook.thumb.jpg.fcd8fe01e03cbe4a55a2732c5ddbc169.jpg