Scotrail

ScottR96

Just now, strichener said:

I'm not a public sector employee that has had years and years of above inflation pay rises that is now greeting because the gravy train has hit the buffers.

Neither have train drivers been this century.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

emoji38.png

My source is myself. The basic isn't 55k.

@19QOS19Gonnae just post your p60 and put an end to this tedious shite mate? Don't think anything less is going to cut it. Exact numbers required.

À la Isa - PEOPLE NEED TAE KNOW!!

16 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

The information I see online quotes the basic salary at £48,360 after completion of probationary period.

From what I can see that figure is from 3 years ago.

This would contradict it.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scotrail-drivers-secure-65-cent-salary-bump-ps51500-547704

Many job sites are quoting figures higher than that as well.

https://www.reed.com/articles/train-driver-salary-benefits

None of us is privy to the basic pay of every train driver in the company but a figure of £55k doesn’t seem an unreasonable estimate to me.  Possibly slightly on the high side but not a million miles away.  That of course doesn’t mean all drivers are getting that.  As in any job there will be a range.

Inside Central Station on BBC Scotland gave a bit of an insight into some of the over promoted, jobsworth and cliquey individuals employed by ScotRail. I am sure most of the drivers aren't as bad but the Central Station staff around 8.5 out of 10 of them seem like complete bangers.

They have been big adverts for train drivers in last few years but only a few made it through their selection process. Surely should have simply took on far more drivers when selecting candidates to allow for fall off with retirements / sick leave / holiday covers / late night train cover etc.

12 hours ago, Shannon said:

They have been big adverts for train drivers in last few years but only a few made it through their selection process. Surely should have simply took on far more drivers when selecting candidates to allow for fall off with retirements / sick leave / holiday covers / late night train cover etc.

I’d quite like to know the person driving my train has made it through the selection process tbh.

I’m heading to Leeds next week from Edinburgh. It’s a 3hr train journey. £120.

Perth to Inverness takes an hour less but it’s £30.

What is the logic/reasonings behind this? I knew my train to Leeds would be pricey but f**k me, it’s cheaper to fly abroad. Trains are fucked.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

What is the logic/reasonings behind this? I knew my train to Leeds would be pricey but f**k me, it’s cheaper to fly abroad. Trains are fucked.

You could do it for under £70 return if you split your tickets at York and choose the right times.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Did you book a standard ticket for that trip to Leeds?

I travel down to the Manchester/Leeds area maybe once a year for gigs and have always used the train to get down and back. I've usually managed to get myself a good deal and manage to get down and back for well under £60.

Its an absolute ball ache at times though. You have to rake about for the best times as even the price of the Advanced Single tickets vary wildly.  I usually end up having to switch trains somewhere along the lines to save quite a bit. Train operators release their advanced tickets at different times so there have been times where I've half booked a leg of a journey and left waiting for sometimes weeks or months for the cheaper tickets for the other part(s) of the leg to be released.

It would be great if they had a ticketing system where you can put in your start and end points and get a fair, reasonable price without any faffing about but I doubt it will ever happen.

50 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

By contrast, I am travelling from Stonie to Glasgow for the Ukraine game next Wednesday - £7.25 out and £4 back (next day)  I do get 20% over 50's discount.