Scotrail

ScottR96

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nurses wouldn't get paid more if train drivers were paid less. It's ridiculous to compare salaries. 

I didn't say they would and no it is not.

Would you now like to clarify why it is "pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT"?

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
It was the bloke Hogg, the union organiser, I heard make the comparison on Radio Scotland yesterday. I don't think he should be the spokesman.

He's the RMT guy.

Is he the guy that comes across as really thick?

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Would you now like to clarify why it is "pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT"?

I'd hazard a guess that the old guys who negotiated the OT deal are gone and have been replaced by guys earning a higher salary and can live quite comfortably on the basic pay. The emphasis has changed from securing more money, to doing less work.

Not saying it's wrong, just an observation.

Explain to me why it is.

Maybe go and have a look at Scotrail's tweets from a couple of weeks ago. I expect that's played a major part. And the responses from the public would suggest it won't be an entirely one sided opinion from the public like you suggest either.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Explain to me why it is.

Maybe go and have a look at Scotrail's tweets from a couple of weeks ago. I expect that's played a major part. And the responses from the public would suggest it won't be an entirely one sided opinion from the public like you suggest either.

I'm not fussed about looking at historical tweets.

I simply asked about why it is "pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT".

Are you able to articulate this?

I simply asked about why it is "pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT".

I've given you an answer. If you can't be bothered going to look and put 2 and 2 together then I doubt you're that interested in the answer.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 minutes ago, sophia said:

I've given you an answer. If you can't be bothered going to look and put 2 and 2 together then I doubt you're that interested in the answer.

No, no you have not but if you cannot defend it, that's ok but be aware I'm the person on the Clapham omnibus (probably not driven by someone getting £50k) that is taking a view on this 

No, no you have not but if you cannot defend it, that's ok but be aware I'm the person on the Clapham omnibus (probably not driven by someone getting £50k) that is taking a view on this 

People choosing to take their days off doesn't require defending m8.

It will naturally divide opinion. Pay disputes always will. But if you ever decide to look at the tweets I've told you to you'll see some reasoned views about it and not the daft "but but Nurses!?!" argument.

17 minutes ago, sophia said:

Is that because there are no trains for you to catch ?

When it comes to pay rises etc, comparing professions and salaries is utterly pointless. It doesn't matter who you are, what you do, or what you're paid. Everyone should be entitled to remuneration that at least matches the rise in cost of living, and anyone who has any form of bargaining power in these negotiations should absolutely be trying to get themselves that as a minimum. Anything less is a loss in real terms.

Doesn't matter if you earn £20k or £50k, and it doesn't matter if you work for the NHS, fly a plane, or collect bull semen for a living. People live to their means with mortgages and car finance or whatever, and fill their cars and heat their homes with the same rocketing fuels as everyone else. The minimum you should expect is a rise that ensures your money holds the same value year on year. The offer being discussed here doesn't come close to that.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd hazard a guess that the old guys who negotiated the OT deal are gone and have been replaced by guys earning a higher salary and can live quite comfortably on the basic pay. The emphasis has changed from securing more money, to doing less work.

Not saying it's wrong, just an observation.

Interesting take but businesses would rather pay OT than give another person the job the pay is irrelevant. 

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

People choosing to take their days off doesn't require defending m8.

They're effectively working to rule to force a better pay deal, which they're quite entitled to do. Doesn't mean that they won't deservedly catch some of the blame for the disruption.

They're effectively working to rule to force a better pay deal, which they're quite entitled to do. Doesn't mean that they won't deservedly catch some of the blame for the disruption.

Workers don't deserve blame for taking their days off in any industry.

54 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Doesn't matter if you earn £20k or £50k, and it doesn't matter if you work for the NHS, fly a plane, or collect bull semen for a living. People live to their means with mortgages and car finance or whatever, and fill their cars and heat their homes with the same rocketing fuels as everyone else. The minimum you should expect is a rise that ensures your money holds the same value year on year. 

The world's smallest violin is playing over here, for anyone on £50k a year who chose to put themselves up to their eyeballs with mortgage payments and car finance. They should have used some of that money to build up a healthy buffer against the rising cost of living instead. That's basic financial prudence. 

A question that you don't address is where is the money coming from to now hike their wages to £55k fully in line with the cost of living - as opposed to a more modest increase that closes the gap with the average employee. Ultimately the rest of society pays for that through government funding - or, in this case, even higher fares - as well as even more price inflation. 

It absolutely does matter what the starting salary is then.