Scotrail

ScottR96

On 19/05/2022 at 14:39, welshbairn said:

They claim they're short staffed because driver training was curtailed during Covid, and it will take till October to catch up.

Presumably these new drivers will pretty much all have rostered rest days during the week eliminating the need for overtime payments, if this isn't the case then it's a complete farce.

Last night the trains were a shambles, loads of cancellations but the 2 trains I got only had 2 carriages, I'm not an expert but what is stopping forming long trains when there are clearly trains available to do it with.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Nobody has suggested overtime should be compulsory. I don't think anyone thinks the drop off of drivers agreeing to do it since the pay negotiations started is coincidental either.

It's pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT. But I can assure you it's not because ASLEF have told them to stop doing it.

If you are suggesting work / life balance considerations have suddenly, like an epiphany, struck a huge number of like minded individuals, surely this infers that they are happy with their already generous salary?

If you are suggesting work / life balance considerations have suddenly, like an epiphany, struck a huge number of like minded individuals, surely this infers that they are happy with their already generous salary?

I'm not suggesting anything. I merely pointing out to welshbairn that this decision by a lot of drivers has not been sanctioned by ASLEF.

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

Presumably these new drivers will pretty much all have rostered rest days during the week eliminating the need for overtime payments, if this isn't the case then it's a complete farce.

Last night the trains were a shambles, loads of cancellations but the 2 trains I got only had 2 carriages, I'm not an expert but what is stopping forming long trains when there are clearly trains available to do it with.

Train into Edinburgh and back yesterday - both absolutely packed and the shorter, ancient ones where if you’re sitting opposite people there’s barely any legroom. Presumably if they are cutting hundreds of services a day they should at least have the more ‘modern’ trains kicking about to use. Farce.

13 minutes ago, sophia said:

How are you arriving at the "generous" bit?

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I merely pointing out to welshbairn that this decision by a lot of drivers has not been sanctioned by ASLEF.

What is "pretty clear" about their group action?

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Nobody has suggested overtime should be compulsory. I don't think anyone thinks the drop off of drivers agreeing to do it since the pay negotiations started is coincidental either.

It's pretty clear why a lot of drivers have stopped doing OT. But I can assure you it's not because ASLEF have told them to stop doing it.

Weren't these the conditions chosen by your predecessors, way back?

ie better to get the OT than create more jobs.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Weren't these the conditions chosen by your predecessors, way back?

ie better to get the OT than create more jobs.

This was certainly true of many workplaces.

Time and a half and double time was cherished as part of the deal and greedily protected.

9 minutes ago, sophia said:

Because it is obvious and if you want to be obtuse about it, it says more about you than you might like to admit.

I'm not being obtuse in the slightest. Comparisons of large salaries to nurses and calling them "generous" is Daily Mail fodder. Iv never yet came across a generous employer. Only ones who pay what's required to get the people with the skills they need. 

If you know of any who pay more than the going rate to secure their operations, let us know cos il be sending my CV to those ones (before they go bust)

You inference seems to be that people who you see as generously recompensed somehow has less right to fight for more. 

Because it is obvious and if you want to be obtuse about it, it says more about you than you might like to admit.
Nurses wouldn't get paid more if train drivers were paid less. It's ridiculous to compare salaries. Nurses are underpaid for the work they do, I think that's a more important issue rather than having a pop at folk on better salaries.

As I said earlier though, if Nurses aren't going to vote (30% turnout) when their useless union eventually ballots them for strike action then it's hard to feel sympathy for them tbh.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm not being obtuse in the slightest. Comparisons of large salaries to nurses and calling them "generous" is Daily Mail fodder. Iv never yet came across a generous employer. Only ones who pay what's required to get the people with the skills they need. 

If you know of any who pay more than the going rate to secure their operations, let us know cos il be sending my CV to those ones (before they go bust)

You inference seems to be that people who you see as generously recompensed somehow has less right to fight for more. 

No, not at all.

Train drivers are far from special but they have obviously been successful in historically fighting for very generous terms and conditions as compared to where many find themselves in 2022.

I don't necessarily think they will carry public opinion with them in their quest getting even more.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nurses wouldn't get paid more if train drivers were paid less. It's ridiculous to compare salaries. Nurses are underpaid for the work they do, I think that's a more important issue rather than having a pop at folk on better salaries.

As I said earlier though, if Nurses aren't going to vote (30% turnout) when their useless union eventually ballots them for strike action then it's hard to feel sympathy for them tbh.

It was the bloke Hogg, the union organiser, I heard make the comparison on Radio Scotland yesterday. I don't think he should be the spokesman.