Scotrail

ScottR96

47 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It takes months to train new drivers, there has been a shortage of them for years, yet it's the SNP's fault that it's finally came to a head after.. 7 weeks of public ownership? 

It's not like they had zero influence over Scotrail prior to this year. Having enough drivers for the railway to function should have been a stipulation of any contract between Holyrood and the private sector. 

We were in Glasgow for a concert last night and the amount of trains cancelled between Edinburgh and Glasgow was scary and this was during 'rush' hour.

On the way through the ticket guy, who never really checked tickets, announced that as of Monday it is an emergency timetable being implemented. I have no idea whose fault it is but this is going to make travelling by train worse than ever and will put people of even trying it if they have an alternative.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It takes months to train new drivers, there has been a shortage of them for years, yet it's the SNP's fault that it's finally came to a head after.. 7 weeks of public ownership? 

Previously the Scottish Government deferred things to Transport Scotland who deferred things to Scotrail.

If you query an MSP they defer to Transport Scotland who in turn write to tell you it’s up to Scotrail to sort. It never gets sorted.

This is government in Scotland. It’s not very good. I am an independence supporter who will no longer vote SNP.

The SNP have been in complete control of Scotland since 2011 so it’s right that they are getting criticism.

Edited by Scary Bear

22 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Why should it take 18months to train a driver?

Doesnt strike me as rocket science.

Nicely done.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Lurkst said:
Where do I sign up?

To any other TOC who pay far more than that...

Do they? I can't imagine in any other country, that actually has a decent train service. Drivers get anywhere close to that.

Do they? I can't imagine in any other country, that actually has a decent train service. Drivers get anywhere close to that.
Scotrail drivers are the lowest paid by quite some distance tbh.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Why, when you buy a ticket on the application, do you then need to download it, then activate it? Surely that should be done automatically?

If you don't activate it you can get a refund if you don't use it.

28 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
33 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
If you don't activate it you can get a refund if you don't use it.

I figured there might be something like that, What about the download part though? Why would you not download it?

I've no idea. I've never noticed that before tbh.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Labour are a joke right now but deaffliating is a huge step and I think presently staying in is clearly the least worst option for trade unions.

As far as industrial action goes it would be well justified by real terms wage cuts and the SNP clearly looking to scale down rail travel in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Labour are a joke right now but deaffliating is a huge step and I think presently staying in is clearly the least worst option for trade unions.

As far as industrial action goes it would be well justified by real terms wage cuts and the SNP clearly looking to scale down rail travel in Scotland.

They're scaling down rail travel because A. They've they've inherited a company without enough drivers, and B. The drivers union is encouraging their members not to cover the shortage. Anything that makes the SG look bad is good for Labour. Labour have been actively supporting Conservative rule in Scottish Councils as the better option than sharing power with the SNP. 

Edited by welshbairn

OK then, Scotrail is renationalised, this is what the branch office of Labour wanted for years, what would Labour have done differently than the present Scottish government has done ?? All previous franchise holders negotiated with the rail unions and everybody seemed happy with the way things were going until nationalisation exposed the driver shortages for everyone to see. Scotrail for years was the only company up here training drivers, other companies poached trained drivers to fill their driver vacancies. LNER, XCOUNTRY, TPE, AVANTI WEST COAST all poached drivers from Scotrail all offering better salaries and a less intensive way of working, fewer stops. The question Labour and the tories and the rest have to answer is, what would you have done differently??