Scotrail

ScottR96

32 minutes ago, RiG said:

As @virginton said earlier, if your business model is based on drivers having to regularly work beyond their normal contracted hours so your company can deliver a (barely) functioning service then you might want to look at how you are doing things because that approach is not going to last.

ETA: That fucking name change still a thing then :lol: 

They claim they're short staffed because driver training was curtailed during Covid, and it will take till October to catch up.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

NMC balloted their nurses last year and had a turnout of 30%. They can't complain about their wages if they don't bother to fight for it when given the chance. They should be fighting for better work conditions ahead of money anyway. My Mrs is a community nurse and her workload and conditions are ridiculous.

A lollipop man does more work than you.

Is it not Union strategy rather than individual preference though, to keep the pressure up on wage negotiations?
If it was Union strategy it would have already been balloted on and passed by the members. A union cannot implement an OT ban without a ballot, as that is industrial action.

No one associated with the union (or any employee) should be caught dead muttering about withholding OT as a tactic. They absolutely should do it, but you don't talk about it as you are liable to get bagged.

Not to worry - Little Miss Regrettable has spoken and apparently, just like our health service, our train service is better than other parts of Great Britain.  When there is no train to take you home or you have been lying on a hospital trolley for hours waiting to be seen, you will be able to bask in the glory of this and applaud our leader for her sterling efforts.  It could be worse you could be waiting on a ferry to take you to the islands!

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

How hard can it be to learn to drive a train anyway? It's not like you even need to steer, it's just stop and start 😉

I got sacked from being a train driver. Got caught overtaking.

I got off at Haymarket earlier (easy now!) and heard a tranche of announcements that a good three quarters of the services due were cancelled (confirmed by my glance at the boards). This was circa 17.30.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I got off at Haymarket earlier (easy now!) and heard a tranche of announcements that a good three quarters of the services due were cancelled (confirmed by my glance at the boards). This was circa 17.30.

Did we have actual trains in 1730?

5 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

How hard can it be to learn to drive a train anyway? It's not like you even need to steer, it's just stop and start 😉

Well said ,it’s got to be easier than being a bus driver, as they have to take the money and issue tickets ect ,while the trains have the advantage of clippies on board ,train drivers don’t know there born . 

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Did we have actual trains in 1730?

Your joke falls down due me including the full stop separator. 

Although trains, in some form, have been around for over 2000 years.

Or maybe as long as the train drivers take to realise they’re a bit skint without the overtime they’re used to seeing every month.
If they can't live off their basic wage then I've no sympathy tbh.

They've previously said this about introducing reduced timetables:
483863525_SmartSelect_20220518-203709_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.245234d1f5b1ca22eff13df3278e4d4d.jpg
Surely they need to revisit this and revise the timetable to get the timetabled later trains on, even if it's at the cost of fewer trains during the day?
Or alternatively, they could just agree a deal to pay their employees properly so they can have a functioning timetable.

This.

To me it appears that in a rush to reduce services, Scotrail have looked at the last train times in a covid, lockdown, nobody travelling on trains situation and applied it a time when everything is open.

Bonkers.

22 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

A vital public service is run on the hope drivers will take up overtime 

Totally normal situation we have here 

image.gif.65f4de099d91948ac960cd26b4cc3478.gif

It's what happens when said vital public service is run primarily for profit rather than to deliver a service.

With driver salaries being what they are, paying enough drivers to cover all services without relying on overtime etc would be less profitable.

I've said it before but public transport in Scotland in its current state simply isn't fit for purpose as part of the 24/7 society we now live in. That no part of our railway runs 24 hours a day is complete nonsense, and the main reason it doesn't is because it wouldn't make a profit.

Edited by Todd_is_God

It's what happens when said vital public service is run primarily for profit rather than to deliver a service.
With driver salaries being what they are, paying enough drivers to cover all services without relying on overtime etc would be less profitable.
I've said it before but public transport in Scotland in its current state simply isn't fit for purpose as part of the 24/7 society we now live in. That no part of our railway runs 24 hours a day is complete nonsense, and the main reason it doesn't is because it wouldn't make a profit.
And yet they want/expect folk to give up their cars and rely on this shit show....