Scotrail

ScottR96

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

That was a nice 4 months or something of trains 7 days a week.

I thought I clocked a board about Sunday strikes last weekend, but assumed it was maybe left over from last time round.

Doubt the drivers will get much public support tbh. Unlike the conductors etc who were striking last time round, they are very well paid in the grand scheme of things.

I thought I clocked a board about Sunday strikes last weekend, but assumed it was maybe left over from last time round.
Doubt the drivers will get much public support tbh. Unlike the conductors etc who were striking last time round, they are very well paid in the grand scheme of things.

There aren't any strikes with Scotrail drivers, no idea if other companies or grades are but I imagine it's an old sign. The reason for shortages is because a lot of drivers aren't working on their days off just now.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Is this a recurrence of the nobody/very few people being contracted to work Sundays issues? The problem therefore being that they are dependent on overtime in order to run their service? 

Yep, an absolute clowncar organisation. 

51 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There aren't any strikes with Scotrail drivers, no idea if other companies or grades are but I imagine it's an old sign. The reason for shortages is because a lot of drivers aren't working on their days off just now.

Yet

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is it about overtime rates or lack of staffing?

I know they’re going to be phasing in driverless trains on the Glasgow Subway
Wouldn’t surprise me if this is the future of the rail network also 

Let’s hope so.

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I know they’re going to be phasing in driverless trains on the Glasgow Subway

The Orange has been able to run driverless since its upgrade in the 70s.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

Is this a recurrence of the nobody/very few people being contracted to work Sundays issues? The problem therefore being that they are dependent on overtime in order to run their service? 

I think that's been the issue since the 70s. Rail staff and the unions wrote their own contracts and have retained a lot of the conditions. Good on the lazy b*****ds. I wish it was me.

Having introduced the summer timetable yesterday, Scotrail will announce on Thursday a "temporary" reduction of services by around one third.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think that's been the issue since the 70s. Rail staff and the unions wrote their own contracts and have retained a lot of the conditions. Good on the lazy b*****ds. I wish it was me.

I have little time for the syndicalists at the RMT and similar transport unions, but surely railway companies could avoid this issue by employing more staff and having their rest day at some other time in the week. If that's not allowed then the terms need to be changed for new employees.

It's completely absurd that an essential public service is running on goodwill and overtime. 

I saw a board in Central station yesterday which was relating to Sunday action on TransPennine Express.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Is it about overtime rates or lack of staffing?

This turn of events ranks as only surprising in its timing, coming as it does, only a very short while after the welcome news on ridding us of the needless private interest. I found the Aslef chap on the radio this morning unfocussed and his aggressive delivery seemed to be as political as it was unattractive.

This turn of events ranks as only surprising in its timing, coming as it does, only a very short while after the welcome news on ridding us of the needless private interest. I found the Aslef chap on the radio this morning unfocussed and his aggressive delivery seemed to be as political as it was unattractive.

Pay talks are always held at this time of year.