Scotrail

ScottR96

For some reason Scotrail have closed their reservation service for all trains which appears to mean that the only tickets you can purchase are ones that you buy on the day. In the case of Edinburgh to Inverness services there are no advance singles and the cheapest single ticket is £50 [emoji38]

Unless it is CVODI related (and I can't think why it would be) this seems like a final chance for them to gauge the public before they give up the franchise.
What day you want to travel? I've found tickets as low as £5 in February.
P.S. Scrap that, tickets are advertised but they won't let you buy them. Could be a temporary glitch or something to do with the shortage of drivers due to Covid.

It's maybe to do with the timetable change in January. I've no idea if the website has updated to the new times/it's been finalised by the company but that would be my bet.

10 hours ago, RiG said:

For some reason Scotrail have closed their reservation service for all trains which appears to mean that the only tickets you can purchase are ones that you buy on the day. In the case of Edinburgh to Inverness services there are no advance singles and the cheapest single ticket is £50 :lol:

Unless it is CVODI related (and I can't think why it would be) this seems like a final chance for them to gauge the public before they give up the franchise.

I've noticed this as well. There's no cheap advance fares on any routes. It's all open returns, which are much more expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2021 at 23:17, welshbairn said:

What day you want to travel? I've found tickets as low as £5 in February.

P.S. Scrap that, tickets are advertised but they won't let you buy them. Could be a temporary glitch or something to do with the shortage of drivers due to Covid.

Yes, it's definitely due to 'a shortage of drivers' (in February, so not established) and not the operators being a shower of robbing b*****ds. 

1502716658339.jpg.e8be02e02bb3b8f3a089a7c6d745cd56.jpg

2 hours ago, smpar said:

Usually a £5 return from Pollokshaws East to Wishaw, £8.80 today going from Crossmyloof, which is a shorter journey.

b*****ds are at it.

That sounds like the peak time fare from Crossmyloof. Pollokshaws East has options to avoid Glasgow and change at Newton however which might explain the lower fares too.

That sounds like the peak time fare from Crossmyloof. Pollokshaws East has options to avoid Glasgow and change at Newton however which might explain the lower fares too.

Both of those prices are peak returns. It just doesn’t make any sense considering Crossmyloof to Central is one stop and takes 6 minutes, Pollokshaws East to central is 4 stops and takes twice as long.

You’d need to get a third train if you went to Newton.

Both of those prices are peak returns. It just doesn’t make any sense considering Crossmyloof to Central is one stop and takes 6 minutes, Pollokshaws East to central is 4 stops and takes twice as long.

Pollokshaws East to Wishaw is £8.50 peak return on the ScotRail app. £5.80 off peak.

5 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm having a few days in Glasgow in February and am heading through to Musselburgh for the racing on a Sunday. Queen St to Wallyford return is £26.30. Queen St to Waverley £14.20 return and Waverley to Wallyford £4.30 return. Absolute robbing b*****ds

Get off at Haymarket. 

5 hours ago, smpar said:

The fares drop as you go further towards Newton. Langside is cheaper, and it drops at Kings Park and Croftfoot still. Shawlands, 1 stop close to Glasgow is £8.70. Clearly a hangover from when you could change at Newton. 

Also it's £9.10 from Pollokshaws West to Wishaw which is like 10 mins walk from Shaws East. Fares don't make a lot of sense in Glasgow suburbs. 

Edited by flyingscot

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of Scotrail dropping the alcohol ban anytime soon? I’m sure they used social distancing as the main reason for introducing it, so now that that’s been relaxed, train cans should make a return.

I’m sure they will for the rugby anyway.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Any chance of Scotrail dropping the alcohol ban anytime soon? I’m sure they used social distancing as the main reason for introducing it, so now that that’s been relaxed, train cans should make a return.

I suspect they might keep it so they can deal more easily with annoying drunken arseholes. I've never had a problem with a can on the table even when they're checking tickets.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

I don't fancy my commute to work without a few cans.