Scotrail

ScottR96

They're going to have to clarify that story as there's no way they're actually striking for twelve days in a row the month before Christmas. If so, then good luck keeping their family off the street this winter, all in the name of whatever syndicalist nonsense battle the RMT leadership are up to fighting now.

Public transport should be nationalised and as part of that process, its workers should be both given a public sector contract and have their right to strike abolished. 

There’s some very angry, shouty man from the RMT on the BBC Nine tv programme just now. They’re not going to gain much public support or get much interaction with the management, if this bloke is representative on their discussion process. It was a stream of confrontational cliches to the presenter bloke; “no resolution”, “let me be crystal clear”.

11 hours ago, deegee said:

There’s some very angry, shouty man from the RMT on the BBC Nine tv programme just now. They’re not going to gain much public support or get much interaction with the management, if this bloke is representative on their discussion process. It was a stream of confrontational cliches to the presenter bloke; “no resolution”, “let me be crystal clear”.

May have been the same thick shouty Union rep on the radio this morning...he was utterly hopeless.  He was asked a number of times as to why the 4.78% offer had not been put to a vote (the exec committee decided on their behalf that it wasnt good enough) he replied that the RMT are a democratic organisation and that there was no need for all union members to vote on it.

The 4.78% offer is over two years but to me that's pretty good in this day and age of low inflation (we got 0.9% at my work this year)

Blatantly clear that their proposed strike is timed for COP26 as a bargaining chip - he denied this  whilst conceding that no trains at all will run in Scotland over a two week period if the strike goes ahead.

Why are pretty much all Union reps un-educated and shouty?

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

May have been the same thick shouty Union rep on the radio this morning...he was utterly hopeless.  He was asked a number of times as to why the 4.78% offer had not been put to a vote (the exec committee decided on their behalf that it wasnt good enough) he replied that the RMT are a democratic organisation and that there was no need for all union members to vote on it.

The 4.78% offer is over two years but to me that's pretty good in this day and age of low inflation (we got 0.9% at my work this year)

Blatantly clear that their proposed strike is timed for COP26 as a bargaining chip - he denied this  whilst conceding that no trains at all will run in Scotland over a two week period if the strike goes ahead.

Because the upper echelons of trade unionism is an overwhelmingly male environment. Toxic masculinity, aggression and being seen as tough are seen as positive character traits. 

As we all saw when Richard Leonard was Labour leader this comes across appallingly to most normal people.

It's a shame because I want unions to be good but the model is shite.

In their defence (the workers) they've been striking for months every Sunday. I doubt it's really hurt the company or punters given the country still isn't on it's feet. It'll have hurt the workers' pockets more given they get extra on a Sunday. They will be planning the strikes for COP26 as it's their only chance of getting any joy. If the company stands their ground here then I doubt there will be another offer. IMO it's a shambles they never accepted the offer they were given as I doubt they'll get anything better in this climate. If I was an RMT member I'd personally be more pissed off with them than the company right now.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Blatantly clear that their proposed strike is timed for COP26 as a bargaining chip

Of course the RMT are using COP26 as leverage and they should be applauded for doing so. This dispute has been rumbling on for months and the Scottish Government have had ample time to deal with it, but have chosen not to.

It isn’t all about a pay rise either. It’s about rest day working enhancements and assurances over pensions and redundancies. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying but we aren't in a time of low inflation at all at the moment.

Fairplay using COP to their advantage. 

I'm not an expert but 300 less trains a day doesn't seem a great move.

Staffing a 7 day service for 6 days then hoping for the best on a Sunday also seems a shoddy way to do things.

Am I right in thinking there was a rest day bonus payment that ended, and the drivers managed to get the payment back, but not the rest of the staff ?

2 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

The GMB guy for the Glasgow cleansing workers was saying that an £850 wage increase a year worked out at £6.50 a week after tax and insurance. 

Interesting maths from him. 

I heard that too and was lying in my bed trying to work it all out.  Why was he not challenged on this. £850 per year increase sounds pretty good to me.

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It must be decent to have a union who actually do things for ye, with this though I am selfishly wondering how the f**k I get to work.

RMT largely have the government over a barrel in the way the vast majority of unions in the UK do not. Trains being cancelled very quickly gets people irate whereas in many cases a day or two of strike action is met with a shrug of the shoulders. 

RMT haven't had leverage over the last 20 months, granted, since for large periods of it pretty much no-one would be using the trains, but in normal times they can cause havoc very easily. People needing to get to work become angry very quickly when the trains are off, which usually results in RMT getting most of what they ask for. Whether that will continue now that WFH has become more accepted is a different question, though. Most people will be comfortable just explaining they can't get it in, work the day from home and be done with it.

I therefore don't think RMT will have as much leverage as they used to as a result. They may well create a pile of seething commuters demanding action, but it will be markedly less than before.

Staffing a 7 day service for 6 days then hoping for the best on a Sunday also seems a shoddy way to do things.
Am I right in thinking there was a rest day bonus payment that ended, and the drivers managed to get the payment back, but not the rest of the staff ?
Don't think the drivers ever lost their bonus(they were due to go from one every Sunday they worked to a one off one) as their union (ASLEF) done a better job last time they sat round the table.

Something like that, I played golf with a guy who is a ticket collector and they certainly had the payment removed, result being none of them now work on a Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is #deadlineday for Scotrail to avoid the strikes. We’ll find out at 1700 what happens. I don’t know enough about it, all I know is 2 of the 3 rail unions have already accepted Scotrails last offer. Are RMT the good guys for shunning the offer or are they just being a bunch of dicks?

On 15/10/2021 at 13:26, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

My mate works for ScotRail and is in the RMT and he says that is the issue. They want the same bonus as the drivers (ASLEF).