Scotrail

ScottR96

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I used Scotrail, covid n that, but may have to get a train from Elgin to Aviemore in June. So, thought I'd pop on to the Scotrail app to see what this pleasure may cost me. £26.10 for two less than 45 minute train journeys. Now, I understand that there are no advance tickets on sale or anything like that and that it would be charged as two separate singles from Elgin - Inverness - Aviemore. But it struck me as obscene to be charging that for a single journey of less than an hour and a half.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:45, Ekhibee88 said:

That's way too much for on the day fare. I think walk up fare for that distance should be lower, its a not a great distance either, advances are a bit restrictive on this relatively short journey. Last time I split my ticket at Perth.

The difference by splitting the tickets on that particular journey is startling...last time I went up to Dundee I split it twice at Stirling and Perth and it worked out at maybe £21 as opposed to the £43 they were wanting for a straight day return. Had a weirdo ticket collector on the way back down though:

"You realise this would be invalid if this train didn't stop at these stations?"

"Err...no. Do any go between Glasgow and Dundee that don't though?"

"No."

It's a big Alan Partridge shrug from me then.

On 12/04/2021 at 17:16, Hillonearth said:

The difference by splitting the tickets on that particular journey is startling...last time I went up to Dundee I split it twice at Stirling and Perth and it worked out at maybe £21 as opposed to the £43 they were wanting for a straight day return. Had a weirdo ticket collector on the way back down though:

"You realise this would be invalid if this train didn't stop at these stations?"

"Err...no. Do any go between Glasgow and Dundee that don't though?"

"No."

It's a big Alan Partridge shrug from me then.

Little known one, is an off peak return to Perth is valid from 8am from Glasgow. 

You can split to Aberdeen at Perth and  Montrose.

I had a guard say my Glasgow to Edinburgh ticket was invalid on a Glasgow to Falkirk Grahamston service. Now the you can get the train right through on that route. I knew it was valid.

• 4 months later...

Scotrail have finally introduced a ticket allowing you to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow from the other and return the next or week rather than having to make the return journey the same day. The prices haven't gone down well though especially the peak time charge of £30 for a return. 

Scotrail have finally introduced a ticket allowing you to travel to Edinburgh or Glasgow from the other and return the next or week rather than having to make the return journey the same day. The prices haven't gone down well though especially the peak time charge of £30 for a return. 

Sales in Glasgow to Eskbank open return tickets will plummet.

This just goes to show how utterly fucked the prices are here when folk are talking about buying two singles to save money. It really is a total shambles.

£30 GLA to EDI return is far too expensive. If the Scottish Government want to get people off the roads they must make significant cuts to fares when Abelio hand control over.

It’s one of the worst and one of the most expensive systems in Europe. If the Scottish government were really serious about reducing car journeys and emissions they’d sort this out. They won’t, though.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was having a look at rail season ticket options. The flexible tickets don't seem to offer much, if any, saving. Anyone else tried it, because either I'm doing it wrong or it's a shite offer? I hope it's just the former.

I posted this on the Covid thread, has anyone arrived a more positive conclusion?

• 1 month later...

Said it a million times I hope they never sort out their pricing shambles as its subsidising folk who just do a tiny bit of research.

It's often worth getting a railcard if there is two of you travelling too, even for one off journeys. Me and my pal going to London at weekend took 60 quid off the journey for the price of a 30 quid railcard. Except the rail card didn't cost 30 as you can get one for 10 quids worth of clubcard vouchers.

I'm a big fan of breaking journey's for fun days out too. A 20 quid return to Falkirk the other week allowed me to get my breakfast at Haymarket, onto Falkirk for an admittedly underwhelming look at their horses, into Linlithgow for pints before heading into Edinburgh for tea and then back home working out at 4 quid per train.

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Said it a million times I hope they never sort out their pricing shambles as its subsidising folk who just do a tiny bit of research.

It's often worth getting a railcard if there is two of you travelling too, even for one off journeys. Me and my pal going to London at weekend took 60 quid off the journey for the price of a 30 quid railcard. Except the rail card didn't cost 30 as you can get one for 10 quids worth of clubcard vouchers.

I'm a big fan of breaking journey's for fun days out too. A 20 quid return to Falkirk the other week allowed me to get my breakfast at Haymarket, onto Falkirk for an admittedly underwhelming look at their horses, into Linlithgow for pints before heading into Edinburgh for tea and then back home working out at 4 quid per train.

You know how to live.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Me and Mrs. Back get the two together railcard whenever we make our infrequent trips to London.  That with booking in advance makes 1st class very affordable.

Me and some mates did some groundhopping down to Blackpool a few weeks back (not 1st class for a lads weekend on the piss) and still saved a few quid with that.

Railcards are brilliant.