Scotrail

ScottR96

The trains are available, just not cheap advance tickets over Christmas.

Exactly. It’s annoying as needing to travel on 15th and 29th December and the cheap fares aren’t available yet.

I questioned this with their twitter team but they said they’re not privy to when the cheap fares will show up.

8 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Exactly. It’s annoying as needing to travel on 15th and 29th December and the cheap fares aren’t available yet.

I questioned this with their twitter team but they’d said they’re not privy to when the cheap fares will show up.

Looks like they won't be, advance fares are available up to the middle of February, just not around Christmas. You're probably better off booking a bus than paying up to 4x the rate.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Looks like they won't be, advance fares are available up to the middle of February, just not around Christmas. You're probably better off booking a bus than paying up to 4x the rate.

Looks like those advance fares through January and February have been put out today though the dates they are available don't match up with info on the Scotrail website. Citylink Gold for me then.

Looks like those advance fares through January and February have been put out today though the dates they are available don't match up with info on the Scotrail website. Citylink Gold for me then.

If it weren’t for LNER, Citylink Gold would eat all of my travel business out of Inverness.

That’s the cheap fares for the 15th just gone up tonight. About time.

Getting the train home late last night, I encountered the world's most cheerful and friendly ticket inspector. Making his way through the busy carriage, every single ticket he checked was accompanied by chat like "Alright mate, how's it going" ... "You have a good night" ... "Nice to see you, pal" ... "You look after yourself" and so on. 
When he left, people were smiling and laughing at his OTT performance.
Of course, it's entirely possibly he was taking the utter piss. But even if he was, he even went to the trouble of marking my ticket like this which made me laugh out loud when I found it in my pocket this morning. 
image.png.20898e8b50b98eb4615719c095fa423f.png
I am sure I have had the exact same ticket inspector in last week as got the same smiley face and really nice cheerfulness on a recent train journey back into Ayrshire from Glasgow.

Getting the train home late last night, I encountered the world's most cheerful and friendly ticket inspector. Making his way through the busy carriage, every single ticket he checked was accompanied by chat like "Alright mate, how's it going" ... "You have a good night" ... "Nice to see you, pal" ... "You look after yourself" and so on.  When he left, people were smiling and laughing at his OTT performance.

Of course, it's entirely possibly he was taking the utter piss. But even if he was, he even went to the trouble of marking my ticket like this which made me laugh out loud when I found it in my pocket this morning. 

image.png.20898e8b50b98eb4615719c095fa423f.png

I once got that smiley face with the words 'over-carried, please take home'. I missed my stop at Lairg (having been chatting to a wid for ages) and got told to get off at Golspie and wait in the pub for 3hrs until the train with another guard came back down from Wick. On the trip back:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now approaching Lairg. If you have a ticket for Lairg, this is where you should alight this time around."

On 29/11/2019 at 13:30, Mark Connolly said:

It's because Inverness is being sold off to the Americans given away in exchange for chlorinated chicken and hormone growth beef if the Tories get elected.

Bargain, imho.

My fault, not Scotrail’s, but bought a return Edinburgh to Glasgow this morning on one of the terminals without realising it was off peak. 
The cost of upgrading to peak is pretty scandalous though, cost the same to upgrade a single leg as the original return price. 
Or as Scotfail would say the off peak discount is very generous.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's experience travelling from Maybole to Dumfries. First train is delayed by a problem with a train ahead. So late into Kilmarnock and the Carlisle train has left. 90 minutes until the next one so they authorised a taxi for two passengers. £136, the taxi driver said but a bargain for Abellio as the fine for holding the Carlisle train for a few minutes would be far greater. And apparently it's a regular gig for local taxis.

Today's experience travelling from Maybole to Dumfries. First train is delayed by a problem with a train ahead. So late into Kilmarnock and the Carlisle train has left. 90 minutes until the next one so they authorised a taxi for two passengers. £136, the taxi driver said but a bargain for Abellio as the fine for holding the Carlisle train for a few minutes would be far greater. And apparently it's a regular gig for local taxis.
The amount spent on taxis is scary. The last time I checked it was an £80 fine for every minute the train was late, it's possibly more now. So aye, it would be cheaper with the taxi.

22 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Fines for delaying trains can run into several millions. As Abellio would get fined for every other delay minute that train (and the ones it delays) causes.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
27 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

The amount spent on taxis is scary. The last time I checked it was an £80 fine for every minute the train was late, it's possibly more now. So aye, it would be cheaper with the taxi.

the fine per minute depends on the route the train is on.

17 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Would've been held at least 5 minutes though as your train arrived 4 min after the Carlisle train was supposed to depart, and then it would need to wait for you to get to the other side of the station. Scotrail would've wanted to keep it <5 min late to maintain their on time PPM %age. Plus it may have interfered with WCML trains if it misses its slot at Gretna Junction.

Guest bernardblack

My train into Edinburgh last sunday was so busy, at some stops they were asking people to get off and wait for the next train. Then the bloke on the tannoy said something along the lines of...”I wouldn’t get the train this time of year”