Scotrail

ScottR96

I had read back what I wrote and realised I missed out the part where I bought the ticket [emoji23]
I'm reading that as you couldn't get through the barriers because the machines were only offering off-peak tickets. So you didn't buy one of them and as a result you missed the train?

Scramble!

Given that neither passengers scarecely respect them, and Scotrail often cancel them, and don't enforce them, its a big who gives a f**k from me.

I'm not even convinced there should be seat reservations on trains. Not when theres no limit to the amount of people who can get on, nor any requirement to book yourself on a train.

Not giving a f**k about numbers doesnt square with offering seat reservations for me.

Scotrail should just operate a policy of X number of seats per carriage which are strictly enforced in the event that someone who really needs a seat cant get one.

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Given that neither passengers scarecely respect them, and Scotrail often cancel them, and don't enforce them, its a big who gives a f**k from me.

I'm not even convinced there should be seat reservations on trains. Not when theres no limit to the amount of people who can get on, nor any requirement to book yourself on a train.

Not giving a f**k about numbers doesnt square with offering seat reservations for me.

Scotrail should just operate a policy of X number of seats per carriage which are strictly enforced in the event that someone who really needs a seat cant get one.

Bang on. Factor in the number of reserved seats that aren’t actually used as people have travelled on another service. I will miss dithering old fuds (and women) being unable to understand the simplest of seat numbering system though. 

Not bothered about reserved seats as I don't have any friends. For a hypothetical group of 4 though, it would be nice to book a table for a long journey.
Is that fair on hypothetical group of 3 or 4 who get on several stations earlier than you, have a longer journey but for whatever reason, did not or could not book a specified train?

Not saying it is or isnt btw, just saying that this is where the system is a bag of shite tbh.

How come this sort of thing seems to work fine in every European country other than our own? Go on a long distance train on the continent and it'll either be a train with compulsory reservations or they'll be recommended and people will move when asked to if they are in a reserved seat (even if you don't know the language you can usually make your point and they'll move, at least in my experience). It doesn't help that Scotrail always seem to have too few carriages on certain services mind you (my wife often gets the 2.49 or whatever train from Inverness to Perth and has a reserved seat but instead of 3 carriages it had always had 2 any time she's used it which mean that reservations are voided).

Getting the train home late last night, I encountered the world's most cheerful and friendly ticket inspector. Making his way through the busy carriage, every single ticket he checked was accompanied by chat like "Alright mate, how's it going" ... "You have a good night" ... "Nice to see you, pal" ... "You look after yourself" and so on. 
When he left, people were smiling and laughing at his OTT performance.

Of course, it's entirely possibly he was taking the utter piss. But even if he was, he even went to the trouble of marking my ticket like this which made me laugh out loud when I found it in my pocket this morning. 

image.png.20898e8b50b98eb4615719c095fa423f.png

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Getting the train home late last night, I encountered the world's most cheerful and friendly ticket inspector. Making his way through the busy carriage, every single ticket he checked was accompanied by chat like "Alright mate, how's it going" ... "You have a good night" ... "Nice to see you, pal" ... "You look after yourself" and so on. 
When he left, people were smiling and laughing at his OTT performance.

Of course, it's entirely possibly he was taking the utter piss. But even if he was, he even went to the trouble of marking my ticket like this which made me laugh out loud when I found it in my pocket this morning. 

image.png.20898e8b50b98eb4615719c095fa423f.png

Reminds me of a trip in Yorkshire where the ticket man had a comedy quip for everyone, depending on their destination. E.g. "Dewsbury? Be glad you have a return ticket!" Very funny, but became repetitive. Had the carriage in good spirits though.

I suspect this is more a wider rail issue but for some reason you can't buy advance tickets on Scotrail routes between Inverness and the central belt beyond the 14th of December. Given these are meant to be available 12 weeks in advance to get the best fares and all that jazz it's pretty poor to only have advance tickets a fortnight ahead of the current date.

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

I suspect this is more a wider rail issue but for some reason you can't buy advance tickets on Scotrail routes between Inverness and the central belt beyond the 14th of December. Given these are meant to be available 12 weeks in advance to get the best fares and all that jazz it's pretty poor to only have advance tickets a fortnight ahead of the current date.

It's because Inverness is being sold off to the Americans if the Tories get elected.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

It's a bit weird, they're available according to the National Rail site right through to mid Feb, but when they switch you to Scotrail to buy a ticket for say, Dec 20th, they've disappeared. Sounds like they're trying to rake in as much as possible over Christmas, not sure if that's legal.

Don't the train timetables get updated mid-December? They do in Europe and I'm sure it's still the case here. Could be that the new timetable hasn't been uploaded yet so the booking system isn't returning any available trains?
Aye, 15th I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't the train timetables get updated mid-December? They do in Europe and I'm sure it's still the case here. Could be that the new timetable hasn't been uploaded yet so the booking system isn't returning any available trains?

The trains are available, just not cheap advance tickets over Christmas.

Edited by welshbairn