Scotrail

ScottR96

A normal thing to do would be to incentivise advanced purchases and advertise that.
A very weird thing to do is suggest (quite incorrectly) that your customers are criminals for not doing that.
Scotrail weird is then actually caring enough to get genuinely huffy on your works twitter account about it.
Whole thing reeks of a preamble to binning conductors on trains tbh.

f**k Scotrail. I will be buying on the train from now on

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

A normal thing to do would be to incentivise advanced purchases and advertise that.

A very weird thing to do is suggest (quite incorrectly) that your customers are criminals for not doing that.

Scotrail weird is then actually caring enough to get genuinely huffy on your works twitter account about it.

For as long as I've been alive and travelling the rule is to buy a ticket at the station if possible, even if there's a queue, and if not you can buy it on the train. This isn't news. There are plenty people on here who brag about getting away with not buying a ticket, so it's not like it's a rarity.

6 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Network Rail's twitter feed is full of people moaning about. Network Rail working at night and level crossing being down to long for trains.

These people should be encouraged to cross when the barriers are down and the complaints would stop immediately. If it wasn't for the problem it would cause the driver I'm sure we could all support this.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

For as long as I've been alive and travelling the rule is to buy a ticket at the station if possible, even if there's a queue, and if not you can buy it on the train. This isn't news. There are plenty people on here who brag about getting away with not buying a ticket, so it's not like it's a rarity.

They have always advised that as the best way to travel, Two weeks ago when they started this pish I got the train from Motherwell to Glasgow. I arrived and there were queues at the ticket machine and the manned booths. My train was due in 1 minute so I thought I'd buy on the train. The conductor never appeared so I went to the wee both on platform 6 and the employee behind that charged me £7.50 (peak fee) for an off peak travel. This is the first time in about 10 years this has happened so they are obviously being c***s about it. I wasn't trying to bump anyone, there is also fuckin barriers there.

They must have a policy of being c***s now. Even on their social media.

They have always advised that as the best way to travel, Two weeks ago when they started this pish I got the train from Motherwell to Glasgow. I arrived and there were queues at the ticket machine and the manned booths. My train was due in 1 minute so I thought I'd buy on the train. The conductor never appeared so I went to the wee both on platform 6 and the employee behind that charged me £7.50 (peak fee) for an off peak travel. This is the first time in about 10 years this has happened so they are obviously being c***s about it. I wasn't trying to bump anyone, there is also fuckin barriers there.

They must have a policy of being c***s now. Even on their social media.
I had to buy a ticket at that wee booth the other day, no machine at Carfin and you never see a conductor on that train and noticed they have a load of papers pinned up on the wall giving every station and details of what ones do or don't have ticket facilities and when they are or aren't staffed, the b*****ds.

Whenever i get the train from airdrie into glasgow i always buy on the train. Most of the time there is no conductor and they think they will catch me with the gates at queen street. One of life’s great delights is asking for a single from bellgrove rather than airdrie

Get it up you scotrail

54 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Whenever i get the train from airdrie into glasgow i always buy on the train. Most of the time there is no conductor and they think they will catch me with the gates at queen street. One of life’s great delights is asking for a single from bellgrove rather than airdrie

Get it up you scotrail

Unless It was the express that hadn't stopped there.

I had a 'conversation' with a conductor on the East Kilbride to Glasgow Central train last year on this topic.

Usual story, I'd had to run to make the train so jumped straight on and bought my ticket from the conductor. He gave me a mini lecture (I'm in my mid-30s) about how there's a ticket office at East Kilbride and I should buy my ticket there before I get on the train. I asked him why, since he was in the act of selling me a ticket at that precise moment so it obviously wasn't an issue at all. He just told me that I should. I've been using that train service on and off for my whole life and this issue had never arisen before.

It was very strange. He was quite insistent that I should buy tickets from the ticket office in future but could not explain any benefit to me of doing so, or any problem for him due to me not doing so.

I was back in Scotland for a few months last year and had to use Scotrail's service often. I found them to be appalling. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff, very poor communication, regular cancellations (including of a train already in motion, bizarrely), unannounced platform changes (more than once very shortly before departure).

Just generally shite.

Edited by JTS98

On 19/11/2019 at 20:46, anotherchance said:

Especially bad during the like of mental snow or Hurricane Bawbag.

Sandra from Larkhall, riddled with the menopause, with zero idea of the intricacies of rail infrastructure (and even less basic thinking skills) giving it the “wee bit ae bad weather and the trains cannae cope!!!!” patter.

Scotrail's problem is the fact that their service is so routinely awful that when genuine one-off problems occur they have absolutely no good will to fall back on. 

The sooner the current lot get emptied the better. 

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I had a 'conversation' with a conductor on the East Kilbride to Glasgow Central train last year on this topic.

Usual story, I'd had to run to make the train so jumped straight on and bought my ticket from the conductor. He gave me a mini lecture (I'm in my mid-30s) about how there's a ticket office at East Kilbride and I should buy my ticket there before I get on the train. I asked him why, since he was in the act of selling me a ticket at that precise moment so it obviously wasn't an issue at all. He just told me that I should. I've been using that train service on and off for my whole life and this issue had never arisen before.

It was very strange. He was quite insistent that I should buy tickets from the ticket office in future but could not explain any benefit to me of doing so, or any problem for him due to me not doing so.

I was back in Scotland for a few months last year and had to use Scotrail's service often. I found them to be appalling. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff, very poor communication, regular cancellations (including of a train already in motion, bizarrely), unannounced platform changes (more than once very shortly before departure).

Just generally shite.

Scotrail: Just Generally Shite. That should be their new advert.

On the ticket purchasing thing, on the busy platform at Kirkcaldy - the one to Edinburgh - the staff hang out at the doors to the platform and check you have a ticket.  If you don’t have a ticket they send you back to the ticket office to get one.

If they were that bothered about it, put ticket machines and barriers at every station. There's never been any barriers at Kirkcaldy. A few years ago they decided to try to recreate a barrier with two goons standing in front of the door. I'd left my ticket on the train, thinking I wouldn't need it. They genuinely thought they were going to get people to pay for a ticket at the door leaving the station. It's like they didn't realise you could just ignore them and walk past them.

Useless service tonight, I got on the only train on platform 17 it departs 10 mins late, turns out I'm on a different train and the on board screen is broken and the crew didn't bother to advise of the late platform alteration. Now freezing at Inverkeithing.