Scotrail

ScottR96

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"If two munters are shagging in an empty carriage" could become the new "If a tree falls in the woods"

The good Bishop Berkeley would be delighted to see his contemplations carried on in such a fashion into the 3rd millennium. 

3 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I have to confess that I have no memory of that event. I'd have been in my mid twenties.

Me as well, wasn't even aware that happened, even though I was born and brought up just a few miles from there (I would have been 8 years old at the time) I had absolutely no knowledge of this disaster till reading of it here and had to Google it just now to find out more. 

Not strictly ScotRail related, though it clearly has a knock on effect, but I see yet another Sleeper train has broken down. You’d have to be a mentalist or big into recreating 1960’s Bond films to even consider travelling on those heaps of utter shite.

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

Not strictly ScotRail related, though it clearly has a knock on effect, but I see yet another Sleeper train has broken down. You’d have to be a mentalist or big into recreating 1960’s Bond films to even consider travelling on those heaps of utter shite.

Saw my sister off in a new one from Inverness to London. She got mixed up with her room  number so we ended up checking out a first class cabin. Fucking fabulous tbf, with an ensuite shower. Second class is pretty cramped but ok, and the lounge bar looked ok but not room for too many. Arrived on time. If you treat it like the cost of a hotel and flight it's not too bad. Seems to be finally getting more reliable and hopefully the remaining gremlins get sorted out.

I love sleeper trains. It looked like European sleepers were finishing up when Deutsche Bahn ended some of their services but ÖBB have taken over many of the routes. We did Prague to Köln a few years back and it was great. Also done London to Edinburgh a couple or times and looking forward to trying the new compartments. Not sure if paying the extra for the en suite and breakfast would be worth it although having a shower in the morning is a huge benefit.

55 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I love sleeper trains. It looked like European sleepers were finishing up when Deutsche Bahn ended some of their services but ÖBB have taken over many of the routes. We did Prague to Köln a few years back and it was great. Also done London to Edinburgh a couple or times and looking forward to trying the new compartments. Not sure if paying the extra for the en suite and breakfast would be worth it although having a shower in the morning is a huge benefit.

Think you get free use of the showers at the arrival station.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

A sleeper on the continent sounds great.

Once tried a sleeper in the USA from Washington to Chicago.  Hardly slept at all.  Most of the level crossings are not signalled so the train driver blew the horn every ten seconds for almost the entire trip.

15 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
Think you get free use of the showers at the arrival station.

You never used to - and Euston didn't actually have any unless they do now it's getting refurbished? You had to go to King's Cross or St Pancras and pay to use theirs? It may be different now mind you.

You get entry to the Virgin First Class Lounge at Euston for £5 with 2nd Class, free with Ist. 

I'm not knocking the principle of the Sleeper, I would love to do a proper long journey on one however Aberdeen / Edinburgh to London just doesn't feel worthwhile. There is no way you will get there feeling any better than a morning flight imo.

Different if you can get on the train around 6pm, have a nice dinner then unwind and arrive in your destination around 7.30am.

Isn't great when you wake up in Motherwell (is it ever?) and have to be bussed to London though.

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

I'm not knocking the principle of the Sleeper, I would love to do a proper long journey on one however Aberdeen / Edinburgh to London just doesn't feel worthwhile. There is no way you will get there feeling any better than a morning flight imo.

Different if you can get on the train around 6pm, have a nice dinner then unwind and arrive in your destination around 7.30am.

Isn't great when you wake up in Motherwell (is it ever?) and have to be bussed to London though.

You can get on the train in Inverness at 8pm, leaves at 8.45, arrives at Euston at 7.50, feeling a damn sight better than getting up at 4.30 am for the flight and rush hour trains from Gatwick or Heathrow.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You can get on the train in Inverness at 8pm, leaves at 8.45, arrives at Euston at 7.50, feeling a damn sight better than getting up at 4.30 am for the flight and rush hour trains from Gatwick or Heathrow.

Tbh you’re right - I was using cities of civilisation like Aberdeen and Edinburgh in my example. 

10 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Tbh you’re right - I was using cities of civilisation like Aberdeen and Edinburgh in my example. 

Aberdeen in board from 2100 for a 2143 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800  North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Aberdeen at 0739 have to leave train by 0745

Inverness  in board from 2000 for a 2045 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800  North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Inverness at 0842 have to leave train by 0845

Fort William  in board from 1920 for a 1950 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800 North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Fort William at 0957 have to leave train by 0958

Glasgow  in board from 2200 for a 2340 departure arrives at Euston at 0707 have to leave train by 0730 North bound board from 2230 for a 2350 departure get into Glasgow at 0722 have to leave train by 0800

Edinburgh  in board from 2300 for a 2340 departure arrives at Euston at 0707 have to leave train by 0730 North bound board from 2230 for a 2350 departure get into Edinburgh at 0723 have to leave train by 0800(if it can stop)

15 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Aberdeen in board from 2100 for a 2143 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800  North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Aberdeen at 0739 have to leave train by 0745

Inverness  in board from 2000 for a 2045 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800  North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Inverness at 0842 have to leave train by 0845

Fort William  in board from 1920 for a 1950 departure arrives at Euston at 0749 have to leave train by 0800 North bound board from 2030 for a 2115 departure get into Fort William at 0957 have to leave train by 0958

Glasgow  in board from 2200 for a 2340 departure arrives at Euston at 0707 have to leave train by 0730 North bound board from 2230 for a 2350 departure get into Glasgow at 0722 have to leave train by 0800

Edinburgh  in board from 2300 for a 2340 departure arrives at Euston at 0707 have to leave train by 0730 North bound board from 2230 for a 2350 departure get into Edinburgh at 0723 have to leave train by 0800(if it can stop)

Solve for x

• 3 weeks later...