Scotrail

ScottR96

24 minutes ago, gannonball said:

In english please.

I got all excited talking about Scotrail. What number do you cap the tickets at? If you cap tickets you will be stopping people from travelling even at times when it is quieter.

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

I got all excited talking about Scotrail. What number do you cap the tickets at? If you cap tickets you will be stopping people from travelling even at times when it is quieter.

A number where the remaining capacity of trains is far less than the return tickets yet to be activated at the gates. This should only be a last minute plan for safety though. However Scotrail have struggled for years to grasp that events that tens of thousands of people are attending will require extra capacity. 

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

It was clearly a perfect storm and like I said, I am sympathetic to that. But you cant have literally thousands of people standing on cramped platforms waiting for trains that aren't coming. Its madness. 

I agree, Waverley isn't great at coping when things go wrong and hard to queue people. 

57 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Majority of which will be day returns. As soon as it goes above a certain amount of purchases then contingency plans should be in place including a restriction on machines at certain stations.

I don't think Scotrail would be permitted to do that under the rules, and I'm not sure there is a function for knowing that in real time- you have 3rd party sellers, you have ST holders, network tickets etc. It takes the statistics people a long time to work out the train usage at stations and even they are partly guessing.

When I was in London and railway or tube stations got too busy they just closed the gates for people entering. Happened quite often. Presumably they don't have the procedure in place here, with staff and police knowing what to do.

36 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

To give Scotrail their due, they do have a queuing system to get into Haymarket after rugby games. I can’t be arsed with queuing so I just go to the pub until the queues die down.

I normally just keep on walking and get the train from Waverley - you miss the busiest services and it means you get a seat.

58 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

To give Scotrail their due, they do have a queuing system to get into Haymarket after rugby games. I can’t be arsed with queuing so I just go to the pub until the queues die down.

Problem would be solved if people stopped going to watch rugby.

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Full of people with little interest in sport. And of women.

Only go to brag to the rest of their pals at the accountancy firm about how they had a can of beer on the train at 11am and how the atmosphere was amazing. 

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

When I was in London and railway or tube stations got too busy they just closed the gates for people entering. Happened quite often. Presumably they don't have the procedure in place here, with staff and police knowing what to do.

Might work in theory, and folk in London will be used to it, but imagine the reaction on closing a gate in front of hundreds/thousands of pissed up entitled Tories rugby fans. Would not go down well. 

Not that I use trains but say you buy the wrong tickets online, who do you go to, to sort it out?
I presume this dosnt happen a lot?
Do you have to print the tickets off aye? If so, speak to the booking office staff before you print them off. I'm not 100% on this process tbh but there is something in my head about an admin fee if you change tickets. Not entirely sure what that applies to though.