Scotrail

ScottR96

31 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Can anyone suggest what Scotrail are supposed to do in these circumstances? 

magic trains and crews from somewhere.  Or get Networkrail  to cancel maintenance on the  only night they get more than a couple of hours to do the work (or the only night they can close the whole of Waverly station).

On 25/08/2019 at 00:10, peasy23 said:

Yep, absolutely no fucks given by them either. Telling folk not to bother waiting for a train, get the bus or something instead.Screenshot_20190825-000717_Twitter.jpeg

How would you like Scotrail to react in this situation? They are dealing with an above average amount of passengers through Edinburgh due to the Fringe/Rugby and are advising that their service will be busy. There will be plenty of opportunities to talk down Scotrail but this isn’t one of them. 

33 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Only thing you'd imagine they can really do on a night like that is shut Haymarket westbound and institute a queuing system at Waverley to avoid the worst of the overcrowding. Of course the layout of the platforms at Waverley would make that difficult, and there is very little available space before the barriers to queue in.

It was a perfect storm of problems on the track coupled with a larger than usual volume of people wanting a train. I laugh at some of the complaints made to Scotrail on twitter when people say can you not just lay on more carriages/trains. You can’t just flood the tracks full of trains, there is schedules that need to be ran to, staff that need to be put in place as well as getting drivers out to drive the trains. I don’t see what more Scotrail could have done. Their customer service through twitter is actually very good and they do a good job of notifying passengers when they encounter problems. 99% of the time the delays are down to signalling issues or other issues with the rail infrastructure, which has absolutely nothing to do with Scotrail. If the train itself breaks down then fine, blame Scotrail, but it’s Network Rail who deal with the tracks and signals and everything else that goes along with it. Scotrail run and maintain the rolling stock, and put the staff in place to run the trains, that’s it. 

I heard a union official on the radio this morning positively preen herself at the situation (the TSSA are on strike with their members refusing to drive trains in times of shortages, which is current practice). She didn't come over well, not trying to hide her glee at the chaos.

It was a perfect storm of problems on the track coupled with a larger than usual volume of people wanting a train. I laugh at some of the complaints made to Scotrail on twitter when people say can you not just lay on more carriages/trains. You can’t just flood the tracks full of trains, there is schedules that need to be ran to, staff that need to be put in place as well as getting drivers out to drive the trains. I don’t see what more Scotrail could have done. Their customer service through twitter is actually very good and they do a good job of notifying passengers when they encounter problems. 99% of the time the delays are down to signalling issues or other issues with the rail infrastructure, which has absolutely nothing to do with Scotrail. If the train itself breaks down then fine, blame Scotrail, but it’s Network Rail who deal with the tracks and signals and everything else that goes along with it. Scotrail run and maintain the rolling stock, and put the staff in place to run the trains, that’s it. 
My mate was in Edinburgh on Saturday, and although they might be ok on Twitter, he said the lack of info in Waverley was shocking. He had left his car at Croy, so could only get the Queen Street high level train, but he said staff were only interested in trying to get folk on any Glasgow bound train regardless of where they were actually going. He also said the lack of any organisation meant it was basically a free for all trying to board a train and if you weren't the quickest on your feet then you had no chance of getting on one.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

How would you like Scotrail to react in this situation? They are dealing with an above average amount of passengers through Edinburgh due to the Fringe/Rugby and are advising that their service will be busy. There will be plenty of opportunities to talk down Scotrail but this isn’t one of them. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

^^^^^ works for Scotrail

18 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I laugh at some of the complaints made to Scotrail on twitter when people say can you not just lay on more carriages/trains. You can’t just flood the tracks full of trains, there is schedules that need to be ran to, staff that need to be put in place as well as getting drivers out to drive the trains. I don’t see what more Scotrail could have done.

I mainly agree with you but it's not like they didn't have any warning that it might get a bit busy.. Schedules can be and often are temporarily changed. And they can't claim to have no responsibility for the industrial action which made things worse,

Edited by welshbairn

Why do you all want to go places anyway? Poor old Scotrail.

Because we want to experience their new trains, which apparently have been the craze sweeping the nation for the last six months.*

*Except for on their longest routes.

I'm normally pretty lenient with Scotrail but it really was fucking horrendous on Saturday night. I got to waverley well before the last train deliberately because I knew it would be busy. Arrived at 9.45, finally got on a service to dunblane (for Larbert) after 3 cancellations at11.30 or so. The platform was frankly dangerous by that time, there was no effort to stop folk piling on to the platform even though it was clear that not all would get on the train. It's a miracle that nobody ended up on the tracks with all the pushing and stuff going on and there were no staff, no police and no announcements of any kind. I tried to line myself up with where I thought a door would be, no fucking clue how the hundreds of folk who never made it on got home because it wasnt on scotrail rail replacement buses. 

I appreciate it was busy and was expecting to have to wait but it at least needs to be safe for folk and it wasn't. 

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Because we want to experience their new trains, which apparently have been the craze sweeping the nation for the last six months.*

*Except for on their longest routes.

I'm not keen on their "new" trains after my weekend.

Travelled to Glasgow from Aberdeen on Thursday after work on one of their much hyped HST.  The train never managed to leave Aberdeen due to a fault and I had to wait an hour for the next Glasgow train which was thankfully one of their "older" trains.

This evening I took the train back to Aberdeen from Glasgow and it was an HST again.  The guy doing the announcements prior to departure was telling us how much room there was and if we didn't like our reserved seat then feel free to move about.  Once again the train failed to even leave its departure station due to a fault.  We were ushered onto a two carriage train which was a little less roomy!  Annoyingly the train arrived in Aberdeen about 26 minutes late so I don't have the pleasure of at least recouping some of my fare.

Edited by NorthernLights

14 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I'm normally pretty lenient with Scotrail but it really was fucking horrendous on Saturday night. I got to waverley well before the last train deliberately because I knew it would be busy. Arrived at 9.45, finally got on a service to dunblane (for Larbert) after 3 cancellations at11.30 or so. The platform was frankly dangerous by that time, there was no effort to stop folk piling on to the platform even though it was clear that not all would get on the train. It's a miracle that nobody ended up on the tracks with all the pushing and stuff going on and there were no staff, no police and no announcements of any kind. I tried to line myself up with where I thought a door would be, no fucking clue how the hundreds of folk who never made it on got home because it wasnt on scotrail rail replacement buses. 

I appreciate it was busy and was expecting to have to wait but it at least needs to be safe for folk and it wasn't. 

It appears that a train failed between Haymarket and Linlithgow and there was a trespass incident. Crosscountry cancelled some of their trains too which wouldn't help. Surprised they kept the station open- the time problems happened at Glasgow Central on a Saturday night last year, the Scotrail staff scarpered due to abuse and BTP cleared the station and shut the gates. 

I think more needs to be done in the planning of these events all round. The Fringe has made things busy enough, but to allow a full house rugby match was madness and to a lesser extent Hibs were playing as well. When stuff like that is on at Cardiff and Newcastle, both their stations have restrictions getting in for ages after. 

55 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It appears that a train failed between Haymarket and Linlithgow and there was a trespass incident. Crosscountry cancelled some of their trains too which wouldn't help. Surprised they kept the station open- the time problems happened at Glasgow Central on a Saturday night last year, the Scotrail staff scarpered due to abuse and BTP cleared the station and shut the gates. 

I think more needs to be done in the planning of these events all round. The Fringe has made things busy enough, but to allow a full house rugby match was madness and to a lesser extent Hibs were playing as well. When stuff like that is on at Cardiff and Newcastle, both their stations have restrictions getting in for ages after. 

It was clearly a perfect storm and like I said, I am sympathetic to that. But you cant have literally thousands of people standing on cramped platforms waiting for trains that aren't coming. Its madness. 

47 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Surely it’s up to ScotRail to stop selling tickets and letting people onto platforms when it’s obvious they’ve ran out of space.

While I agree with the latter how the hell do you "stop selling tickets". Thousands of people will have purchased day returns in the morning, it isn't like everyone will be turning up for a train at 10pm without a ticket.

16 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

While I agree with the latter how the hell do you "stop selling tickets". Thousands of people will have purchased day returns in the morning, it isn't like everyone will be turning up for a train at 10pm without a ticket.

Majority of which will be day returns. As soon as it goes above a certain amount of purchases then contingency plans should be in place including a restriction on machines at certain stations.

Edited by gannonball

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Majority of which will be day returns. As soon as it goes above a certain amount of purchases then contingency plans should be in place including a restriction on machines at certain stations.

What number though? So people that want to buy a day return at travel in the afternoon will not be able to get tickets either AND be accounted in your calculation for even though they have already travelled?