Scotrail

ScottR96

Regarding Levenmouth getting a railway line and station. Do you any of you have any idea what avenues they used to achieve this?

The railway line goes right through my village but there's no station. Just over 2000 people live in my village, plus another 2500 in the next village, 700 in the next village after that.

Furthermore, the old platform from when there was a station still partially exists.

A working but basic station could be up & running in 6 months I reckon. All you'd need would be a platform and 1 or 2 ticket machines plus maybe a bus shelter type structure. You wouldn't even need a bridge over the line because there's an underpass (again, from when there was a station) which is in good condition and is still used regularly by dog walkers, and old people to get to the bowling club.

My village is Wormit btw.

Regarding Levenmouth getting a railway line and station. Do you any of you have any idea what avenues they used to achieve this?

The railway line goes right through my village but there's no station. Just over 2000 people live in my village, plus another 2500 in the next village, 700 in the next village after that.

Furthermore, the old platform from when there was a station still partially exists.

A working but basic station could be up & running in 6 months I reckon. All you'd need would be a platform and 1 or 2 ticket machines plus maybe a bus shelter type structure. You wouldn't even need a bridge over the line because there's an underpass (again, from when there was a station) which is in good condition and is still used regularly by dog walkers, and old people to get to the bowling club.

The station building still exists at Bo'ness. But the old station was on the closed line to Newport so it will need a whole new build from scratch.

9 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

One of the strongest arguments for Levenmouth was regeneration, given it is the largest urban area without access to the railway and it has 6 datazones in the most deprived 5% in Scotland. And of course the business case would need to stack up.

Perhaps if the railway ever went back to St Andrews (not as easy as Levenmouth because the tracks are no longer in place) then a Dundee Crossrail could include a new station at Wormit. But the location for a station at Wormit would be on the outskirts near the bowling club, so the bus to Dundee would surely be a better option for those in Woodhaven.

That is a good point. However, I do think that even if it was still just people from Wormit, Gauldry, & Balmerino that used the station, it would still pay for itself within a few years. Although the majority of passengers would only be going to & from Dundee, there would still be a reasonable proportion who would head the other way, mostly Kirkcaldy, Markinch, & Edinburgh I would imagine.

I wonder if there is anywhere I can find data, regarding station profitability. Especially for a station near a population centre of around 4000.

That is a good point. However, I do think that even if it was still just people from Wormit, Gauldry, & Balmerino that used the station, it would still pay for itself within a few years. Although the majority of passengers would only be going to & from Dundee, there would still be a reasonable proportion who would head the other way, mostly Kirkcaldy, Markinch, & Edinburgh I would imagine.

I wonder if there is anywhere I can find data, regarding station profitability. Especially for a station near a population centre of around 4000.
The ORR release data on the station usage statistics and it will be the nearest info you can get. You are also talking about £2 million for a new station.

Lack of groupsave options will clearly result in people doing the sensible thing and staggering their arrival to the rugby across several trains rather than travelling at the same time, together. Any fool could see this.....

Ask them if it helps avoid large crowds, I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can just imagine the conversations across the country....

"Got a spare ticket for the rugby m8, you fancy it?

"Eh.... Dunno, are Scotrail doing groupsave?"

What do you mean imagine I always check this before attending any event.

19 hours ago, The Naitch said:

ScotRail have outdone themselves tonight. Absolute chaos at Edinburgh Waverley.

The train back to Glasgow via Airdrie at half ten was absolute carnage. Rammed full, roasting hot and stopped half a dozen times between stations. Got a wee bit better after all the mutants got off at Bathgate.