Scotrail

ScottR96

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

I imagine the likes of the rail network in France and Germany also doesn't have to put up with the utter dregs of society that Scotrail seemingly employ.

^^^ failed the interview

I always find it interesting when folk talk about how good the railways are in places like Germany and Italy. Yes, the high speed services are usually fantastic and yes, the ticket prices are usually good value but the smaller lines, commuter lines and the like are often on a very limited timetable, with old stock and are prone to cancellations. If you spoke to a random German or Italian who only ever went on a LNER from London to Edinburgh then a Scotrail train to Glasgow or Dundee, they'd probably think the trains are good in the UK.

Having been on a couple of actual Trenitalia trains from Milan to/from Rimini earlier this year...

Yes the high speed trains are easily of same or better standard than what Virgin, LNER or X Country provide on long distance services here.

The newer trains are about same as a standard Scotrail train (i.e. the new 385's) but there is a lot of ancient stock still rattling about the Italian network on the local routes.

We honestly don't have it that bad here.
It's generally the rail infrastructure that lets Scotrail down & that's not within their control - that's National Rail's remit.

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully we get Mussolini's great grandson in charge of the timetabling. 

That is one of history’s great urban myths , mussolini only ever got 1 train on time , when he went to Rome to accept the king’s offer to run the country in 1922 . ( not that the king had much choice in the matter )

other than that under il duce  the trains were as shambolic as ever 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Effing autocowrong

I always find it interesting when folk talk about how good the railways are in places like Germany and Italy. Yes, the high speed services are usually fantastic and yes, the ticket prices are usually good value but the smaller lines, commuter lines and the like are often on a very limited timetable, with old stock and are prone to cancellations. If you spoke to a random German or Italian who only ever went on a LNER from London to Edinburgh then a Scotrail train to Glasgow or Dundee, they'd probably think the trains are good in the UK.

I'm not a daily commuter so doesn't necessarily affect me, but I would happily take a slash in service/quality if it meant I was paying a fraction of the prices we're paying here. Pretty sure we (Britain) have the most expensive train service in Europe and the quality doesn't exactly reflect that.

A petty point to raise I know, but it's frustrating as f**k having to squat down when using the ticket machines. Unsure if it's countrywide but in Dundee the PIN pad sits at around waist level.
Not a problem for all you small bois but it's a tough life for the #massive units like myself.

30 minutes ago, parxyz said:

A petty point to raise I know, but it's frustrating as f**k having to squat down when using the ticket machines. Unsure if it's countrywide but in Dundee the PIN pad sits at around waist level.
Not a problem for all you small bois but it's a tough life for the #massive units like myself.

You can bend, people in wheelchairs can't stand up.

Edited by Adam101

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

You can bend, people in wheelchairs can't stand up.

Oh dear, that’s rather inconsiderate of me. Probably should’ve realised, apologies.

Edited by parxyz

1 hour ago, parxyz said:

Oh dear, that’s rather inconsiderate of me. Probably should’ve realised, apologies.

I wouldn't worry, wheelchair users don't give a f**k that we have to bend down to push them around because the handles are set for @Bairnardo and @throbber