Scotrail

ScottR96

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I did that at first and then noticed. Still no joy.

Positive. Scotrail website 

Im trying to get Dundee Edinburgh return 23 August but dont want tied into particular train back. It definitely used to give you day return options as well as advanced singles.

ETA i split journey at Inverkeithing and now have the day return options on seperate legs. So im sorted but you cant seem to do it Dundee to Edinburgh.

You may need to pick a specific train but it will still give you the option to pick an off peak return. 

Tickets are a bit of a joke these days. I’m going to Aberdeen tomorrow and there were no cheap tickets when I booked. Got a cheap single to Montrose (could have went Arbroath or Dundee to make it cheaper) and a single from Portlethen to Aberdeen for the barrier. Total cost about £10 as opposed to about treble that. Granted I technically don’t have a ticket between Montrose and Porty but f**k them. Quite a lot of cheap tickets to Arbroath due to the new trains that terminate there.

I was looking at prices for getting the train to County away against Celtic in October and I'm getting the timetable not confirmed nonsense. Only the 7.55 am LNER train had any discount.

I will wait and see if Celtic banter their way into the Europa League before I book anything though.

I might try the fancy bus, but I despise the A9.

I was getting similar hassle for away trips to Dundee and Arbroath but the cheap fares showed up yesterday.

Network Rail are taking the piss out of the 12 week policy. It’s been more like 6 weeks these past few months.

46 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It doesnt. Im escalating this to twitter

Works fine for me. Choose two advance tickets then just choose the drop down and change it to an off-peak return. 10.21 and 16.03 I selected.

18 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I was looking at prices for getting the train to County away against Celtic in October and I'm getting the timetable not confirmed nonsense. Only the 7.55 am LNER train had any discount.

I will wait and see if Celtic banter their way into the Europa League before I book anything though.

I might try the fancy bus, but I despise the A9.

is that game within 12 weeks?not that that seems to mean anything nowadays

go for the LNER train,theyre nicer anyhow

15 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

is that game within 12 weeks?not that that seems to mean anything nowadays

go for the LNER train,theyre nicer anyhow

They're available now for £17 return, much cheaper than LNER.

P.S. @Sherrif John Bunnell better be fast though, says only one seat left at those prices. :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

It’s good that Leven is getting a railway station. Maybe not that good for me, because getting a seat on commuter services through Kirkcaldy will be even worse. Still, should help house prices in Leven and make commuting from there a bit easier. Handy for the football too.

When is it happening?

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s good that Leven is getting a railway station. Maybe not that good for me, because getting a seat on commuter services through Kirkcaldy will be even worse. Still, should help house prices in Leven and make commuting from there a bit easier. Handy for the football too.

When is it happening?

It should be open in about 5 years time 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

When is it happening?

The place will be fucking reeking as well when the c***s take their pigs and chickens to market.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I thought Fife was already full of railway stations for places nobody has heard of. Do they really need more?

Yes because traipsing on some shan public bus to the ground from a total bin like Kirkcaldy is unacceptable. Glad to see the good guys once again sorting this out. 

Image result for salmond smug gif

On 02/08/2019 at 15:47, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/02/caledonian-sleeper-train-overshoots-platform-edinburgh-waverley?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Surely the H+S Executive should be all over Serco re. their appalling performance? (Was going to say track record but .......)

Not sure if it’s been reported in the press, but this particular issue was found to be the fault of GBR railfreight, who run the locos. When the northbound unit split off, either the driver or a track worker has made a very big mistake and closed off all air pressure between the loco and the train, stopping the brakes applying. I would imagine whoever is responsible won’t have a job for very long. 

I thought Fife was already full of railway stations for places nobody has heard of. Do they really need more?

St Andrews doesn’t have a station either. They’re also campaigning.

It's for all the folk who can't afford to live in Edinburgh

Didn’t you see the adverts? Fife is great. It has a bridge and beaches and stuff.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Extraordinary thread on railways in general. Almost all of them in the UK are owned by other countries state railways. We pay for shit trains in Scotland so people in Holland get cheap tickets and nice trains

Italy! Are they going to reverse all the way to London?

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Extraordinary thread on railways in general. Almost all of them in the UK are owned by other countries state railways. We pay for shit trains in Scotland so people in Holland get cheap tickets and nice trains

It’s official, Virgin Trains will be no more from December this year. a consortium of Italian state railway Trenitalia and First Group will be taking over running the West Coast Mainline from that date https://t.co/K3WSCESKmq

— Jon Stone (@joncstone) August 14, 2019

Except Abellio's Scotrail parent company had to loan them £10m, and other companies like Deutsche Bahn and SNCF didn't receive dividends. https://www.railmagazine.com/research-hub/reference/from-the-archives-how-much-money-generated-by-uk-rail-goes-overseas Plus there are trains on the continent operated by UK companies as well.

And the reason why Dutch trains are better is probably because their government subsidises its railway by more than twice the amount in that the UK govt does (France and Germany pay three or four times more).

47 minutes ago, Jason King said:

I imagine the likes of the rail network in France and Germany also doesn't have to put up with the utter dregs of society that Scotrail seemingly employ.

I actually find Scotrail train and station staff, for the most part, to be okay.