Scotrail

ScottR96

Clicked Aberdare instead of Aberdeen when checking fares. WTF! You can fly from Inverness to Bristol return for less than £80 and the train to Aberdare from there is £20. Can't think why, but they must be actively trying to persuade people not to take the train.

image.thumb.png.e870b3ede2c8c009b2996c7b63d14f45.png

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Clicked Aberdare instead of Aberdeen when checking fares. WTF! You can fly from Inverness to Bristol return for less than £80 and the train to Aberdare from there is £20. Can't think why, but they must be actively trying to persuade people not to take the train.

image.thumb.png.e870b3ede2c8c009b2996c7b63d14f45.png

Only 18 hrs journey time though.  Considerably shorter than a FlyBe FlyMaybe flight.

Such luxury doesn't come cheap.

in a slight departure from the topic on this board im going to slag off network rail,not scotrail

used to be a piece of piss getting a reasonably priced train from the highlands to the south,you waited till 12 weeks from the journey then got your booking in

cant remember the last time I was able to do this, the prices are always quoted at the full rate because network rail haven't confirmed the timetables,every fucking time and im getting sick of it.im also led to believe that for all scotrails many problems,a lot of the bother with delayed trains etc in this country is due to network rails lack of maintenance of the infrastructure,dunno if that's true or not

5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

in a slight departure from the topic on this board im going to slag off network rail,not scotrail

used to be a piece of piss getting a reasonably priced train from the highlands to the south,you waited till 12 weeks from the journey then got your booking in

cant remember the last time I was able to do this, the prices are always quoted at the full rate because network rail haven't confirmed the timetables,every fucking time and im getting sick of it.im also led to believe that for all scotrails many problems,a lot of the bother with delayed trains etc in this country is due to network rails lack of maintenance of the infrastructure,dunno if that's true or not

Consider the Citylink Gold bus from Inverness to Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's brilliant!

34 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I got a return between Glasgow/Inverness mid September for £20 last week - no seat reserevations but still a sound deal!

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How do i buy an offpeak day return online?

It only seems to offer two advanced singles or an open return on the website now.

I know i can buy an open return but are they not more expensive?

Gona have to ask the obvious question but you sure it hasn’t automatically selected an early train?

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

How do i buy an offpeak day return online?

It only seems to offer two advanced singles or an open return on the website now.

I know i can buy an open return but are they not more expensive?

On what website?

Are you sure you've not selected two different dates for outbound and return?

20 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Gona have to ask the obvious question but you sure it hasn’t automatically selected an early train?

I did that at first and then noticed. Still no joy.

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

On what website?

Are you sure you've not selected two different dates for outbound and return?

Positive. Scotrail website 

Im trying to get Dundee Edinburgh return 23 August but dont want tied into particular train back. It definitely used to give you day return options as well as advanced singles.

ETA i split journey at Inverkeithing and now have the day return options on seperate legs. So im sorted but you cant seem to do it Dundee to Edinburgh.

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 14/07/2019 at 16:41, The Golden God said:

Shay Logan tweeting at ScotRail to complain about his train from Manchester to Carlisle, then when they point out his error, rather than delete or apologise, he doubles down and calls them liars. 

Was Aleksandar Tonev driving the train?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/02/caledonian-sleeper-train-overshoots-platform-edinburgh-waverley?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Surely the H+S Executive should be all over Serco re. their appalling performance? (Was going to say track record but .......)

The unions warned the government not to give Serco the contract, but they went ahead anyway. They have turned the sleeper service into something that the regular users didn't want, and they are making an utter shambles of doing even that. Mentioned it further up the thread, but Network Rail have apparently given them warnings already that if the reliability of the trains doesn't improve then they will consider barring them from their infrastructure.

The unions warned the government not to give Serco the contract, but they went ahead anyway. They have turned the sleeper service into something that the regular users didn't want, and they are making an utter shambles of doing even that. Mentioned it further up the thread, but Network Rail have apparently given them warnings already that if the reliability of the trains doesn't improve then they will consider barring them from their infrastructure.  

Which government? Doesn’t really matter, they’re both fucking hopeless with awarding contracts.

On 19/07/2019 at 12:22, highlandcowden said:

Yeah I've had this problem a lot recently as well and sometimes you'll find that you can get advance tickets for Inverness to Aberdeen but not Inverness to Edinburgh. Definitely getting harder and harder to get those advance tickets and the normal priced ones are extortionate. I've been using the Gold bus more and more these days. Scotrail / Network Rail are just pish. 

I was looking at prices for getting the train to County away against Celtic in October and I'm getting the timetable not confirmed nonsense. Only the 7.55 am LNER train had any discount.

I will wait and see if Celtic banter their way into the Europa League before I book anything though.

I might try the fancy bus, but I despise the A9.