Scotrail

ScottR96

I never really understood the need for a sleeper. Either go the day/night before, or get up early. The sleeper gets to Watford, or somewhere, in the middle of the night then lies in a siding for a few hours.
Few years back when some plane caught fire at Heathrow BA cancelled all the domestic flights so it was down to get the sleeper. TBF even the walk up fare wasn't too bad but the standard of the cabin was appalling didn't even have a socket to charge my phone.

Guy in the bar wouldn't serve me booze either for some reason as I was going to Edinburgh and had to wait until some point after departure before getting some cans. The recliner seats looked more comfortable than the bed as well.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Went for the 3:30 train from Queen St to Helensburgh with the aim of getting off at Dumbarton Central. Train is running 6 minutes late but we get on at Queen St fine. Get to Hyndland and the driver announces that the train will stop at Dalmuir (as normal) and then Cardross (skipping the 3 Dumbarton stops). Advises that anybody wanting to go to Dumbarton should change at Dalmuir for a subsequent service that was due at 4:01. 

Off we all get at Dalmuir to get the train that'll take us to Dumbarton Central. Said alternative? 

Is running 5 minutes late. 

Scotrail tweeted to explain that there had been a fault on the train that meant they had to skip stops. What kind of train fault lets you stop at Dalmiur and Cardross but skip the 3 stations in between? It's not like we were holding up subsequent services because the next train on our line was running 5 minutes late and had extra stops between Dalmuir and Dumbarton. I know Scotrail swear that they don't skip stops to ensure that they can make up time for their final stop on a service and that if they skip stations then it's to avoid congestion, but that was clearly bollocks on the train I was on. They skipped the 3 Dumbarton stops to try to make up time to finish in Helensburgh without being too late.

Well yes, because the train soon starts its return journey back to Edinburgh so you don't want to have another late running service, especially in the peak when there's more chance of it delaying other trains as well.

On 22/06/2019 at 08:43, Sergeant Wilson said:

I never really understood the need for a sleeper. Either go the day/night before, or get up early. The sleeper gets to Watford, or somewhere, in the middle of the night then lies in a siding for a few hours.

The sleepers are actually very popular and the majority of the rooms are sold. Don’t know how long that will continue though as the reliability of the new fleet is shocking and a quick look on twitter will show how angry their passengers are with the service so far.

The sleepers selling point seems to be aimed towards business people who have to be in London for work/meetings and don’t want to fly down the day before and pay for a hotel in London. 

On 26/06/2019 at 17:06, welshbairn said:

Handy if you have to be in the centre of London early in the morning from Inverness or Aberdeen, and especially if you have too much luggage to get on the plane without paying a fortune. Most people sleep really well on them with the gentle trundling. You're basically paying for a hotel with free travel.  The new trains are more expensive and don't work, so maybe it's no longer an option.

Posted before I seen this. I noticed on Twitter that the Fort William - London sleeper got cancelled due to a fault with the loco in the middle of nowhere at about 2am, with the passengers eventually getting to Glasgow at about 6am and using the Virgin service to get to London. Funny thing is that this is nothing to with Caledonian Sleeper, but actually GB Railfreight who operate the locos. CS taking all the flak for it though. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve never used the sleeper but is there a shower to use? Or do people just wear the clothes they’ll be in the next day and turn up to their London meetings with a sweaty, creased shirt on?

There is a shower in what I think they call ‘Club’ rooms. 6 of the 10 rooms on each sleeper coach have a toilet and shower. I think that’s their selling point to business people that they can sleep, shower and be back up the road in one day. 

Although I believe it is the plumbing for the showers and toilets that has been causing a lot of the problems. Passengers being woken during the night with water leaking out the roof etc. Ive heard some horror stories regarding the quality of the plumbing that was done in Spain. 

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve never used the sleeper but is there a shower to use? Or do people just wear the clothes they’ll be in the next day and turn up to their London meetings with a sweaty, creased shirt on?

Stab in the dark here but I'm guessing people might not sleep in the clothes they're planning to wear the next day! 

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You get access to the Virgin First Class lounge at Euston with shower facilities. 2nd class passengers have to pay a fiver for a token.

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Stab in the dark here but I'm guessing people might not sleep in the clothes they're planning to wear the next day! 

So if there was no shower area, you’d then have to go queue to change in a cramped shared toilet area along with the rest of the carriage all planning to do the same thing at about the same time as you get into London. Also does nothing about the sweat point, unless you’re a sweaty nonce who showers at night rather than in the morning after getting up.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So if there was no shower area, you’d then have to go queue to change in a cramped shared toilet area along with the rest of the carriage all planning to do the same thing at about the same time as you get into London. Also does nothing about the sweat point, unless you’re a sweaty nonce who showers at night rather than in the morning after getting up.

You have a personal shower in each of the club rooms. It’s not a shower area like you get in the swimming baths or a gym. 

If you don’t book a room with a shower then you will be unable to have a shower. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I see the posh rooms on the new trains have showers if they ever get them to work. Either that or you can have one at Euston in the Virgin 1st class lounge as I said. Hardly slumming it.

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ha. I believe that's a whole new thread in itself. 

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

You have a personal shower in each of the club rooms. It’s not a shower area like you get in the swimming baths or a gym. 

If you don’t book a room with a shower then you will be unable to have a shower. 

I was only responding to CR. He hadn’t mentioned there being showers in the post I quoted.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Someone should make it, I don't think Honest_Man#1's called me a nonce before in one of these threads.

*sweaty nonce.

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Seen this video this morning. This will show you exactly what the room is like and the facilities on board if it takes your fancy. Although I would say this guy got quite lucky with his experience as it was quite incident free, I don’t think the majority of passengers got so lucky. 

https://youtu.be/r8nwTEXSZEY

That's the Club Rooms? They look utter shite. 

200 quid for an inferior standard of accommodation to that you would get at the Salvation Army.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

That's the Club Rooms? They look utter shite. 

200 quid for an inferior standard of accommodation to that you would get at the Salvation Army.

Aye for the price you’d be better just paying London hotel prices and getting a proper room with a bathroom that you can shower and then still use. 

I wouldn’t mind trying it once just to see but does appear to be madness if there’s people choosing that regularly.

On 20/06/2019 at 08:43, TheScarf said:

Sounds like the polar opposite of the Inverness services to Glasgow.  2 carriages taking people from the 7th biggest settlement in the country to the biggest.  That's even before you take people getting on at Aviemore and Perth into consideration.  This is on a Friday too.

On 08/04/2019 at 12:35, virginton said:

If you wanted a better train service then you shouldn’t have chosen to live in an irrelevant teuchter outpost tbh.