Scotrail

ScottR96

8 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Made that mistake once going to an away game at Falkirk. Got on the train that I thought was going to Grahamston and panic set in when it pulled away from the platform five minutes early. Spoke to the conductor who advised I was on the wrong train. Had to get off at Larbert and get another train heading towards Edinburgh. Thankfully made the game in time :lol: 

Euphs?

5 hours ago, Ylf said:

What’s the best site to go on for cheap rail travel? Thinking of going to Manchester but the train is quite expensive. Cheers

If you're planning well in advanced, in the next 12 weeks or more then you can set up a ticket alert on the Trainline. When the cheaper advanced fares become available you'll get an email letting you know.

https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert

7 hours ago, Ylf said:

What’s the best site to go on for cheap rail travel? Thinking of going to Manchester but the train is quite expensive. Cheers

You'll probably save more buying well in advance than if you went to different sites. Though TPE does have an extra discount for 18-25 railcard holders, there's some £9.65 Edinburgh to Manchester singles if you're travelling in March: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/student-train-tickets

If you're older but still < 31 then buy a digital railcard for £30 and get a 1/3 off.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

If you're planning well in advanced, in the next 12 weeks or more then you can set up a ticket alert on the Trainline. When the cheaper advanced fares become available you'll get an email letting you know.

But don't buy tickets with them.

Edited by Ginaro

59 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

But don't buy tickets with them.

Agree with this don't purchase your tickets from the Trainline but go directly to the train operator as they are cheaper and better at paying compensation for any delays. 

8 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I've found this to be pretty hit and miss especially since Scotrail started releasing their cheap fares seemingly at random so the Trainline doesn't send out an email until the following day meaning that most of the cheap tickets have already gone. Also, the alert is not great for lines that have more than one operator running on them as some operators release their cheap tickets at different times but you'll only get one alert from the Trainline.

For example, LNER run one train a day from Edinburgh to Inverness and (normally) release their cheap tickets well in advance of Scotrail. If you sign up to an alert for Edinburgh to Inverness you'll get a notification that cheap tickets are available triggered by LNER releasing their cheap tickets but then nothing to let you know when Scotrail release their cheap tickets for the same route.

16 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ll take a photo of it next time i’m on it. It’s  a really bad refurb of an old set of carriages. I’d need sunglasses on to cope with the lighting. 

I'm gonna suggest it's not the refurbished ones but the ones transferred from GWR that have still to be done up, the harsh lighting was in them. 

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm gonna suggest it's not the refurbished ones but the ones transferred from GWR that have still to be done up, the harsh lighting was in them. 

Possibly. The interiors aren’t ancient though and look like the seats and lighting have been recently replaced. Badly.

Edited by Scary Bear

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Possibly. The interiors aren’t ancient though and look like the seats and lighting have been recently replaced. Badly.

If it's carriages are in a white livery and you pushed a button to open the doors then it's the refurbished set.

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If it's carriages are in a white livery and you pushed a button to open the doors then it's the refurbished set.

No, i’ve see that one at Waverley. It wasn’t that one. It had doors you had to pull a handle to open.

49 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
 No, i’ve see that one at Waverley. It wasn’t that one. It had doors you had to pull a handle to open.

It is definitely the ones from GWR then and not the refurbished one.

It has been refurbished. Possibly by GWR (Great Western Railways). It’s a shitshow.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It has been refurbished. Possibly by GWR (Great Western Railways). It’s a shitshow.

Aye well of course every Mark 3 carriage has been refurbished at least once since they were built in the 1970s. :rolleyes: But it's only the ones that have been refurbished to meet the RVAR 2010 and PRM-TSI regulations which will allow them to carry on in service after 2019, which should be referred to as "refurbished".

Edited by Ginaro

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Aye well of course every Mark 3 carriage has been refurbished at least once since they were built in the 1970s. :rolleyes: But it's only the ones that have been refurbished to meet the RVAR 2010 and PRM-TSI regulations which will allow them to carry on in service after 2019, which should be referred to as "refurbished".

f**k knows what that even is. I’ll take photos next time i’m on. Now...please leave me alone. This is like being in some sort of traincarriagespotters forum now and I deeply regret my outburst.

My train has a Happy Halloween sticker on the outside of it where the Scotrail logo is. Current. Just keep it on all year round. It’ll be Halloween soon enough. Good thinking. 

Scotrail status update: quirky.

My train has a Happy Halloween sticker on the outside of it where the Scotrail logo is. Current. Just keep it on all year round. It’ll be Halloween soon enough. Good thinking. 
Scotrail status update: quirky.

Has that got anything to do with the RVAR 2010 regulations, do you think?