Scotrail

ScottR96

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thinking going to Clach away at Keith on Saturday and stopping the night. The train would be £35.80 if I book it as 2 singles, there's no return ticket available apart from a day return. If I get a day return for Saturday and another day return on Sunday it's £27.50. :1eye

Probably save yourself another couple of quid if you use: https://syt.trainsplit.com/

Just now, Ross. said:

Probably save yourself another couple of quid if you use: https://syt.trainsplit.com/

Tried it, no saving this time. Used it before successfully, wrote down the details and booked elsewhere to save the quid they charge for the service. I'm a bit mean.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Tried it, no saving this time. Used it before successfully, wrote down the details and booked elsewhere to save the quid they charge for the service. I'm a bit mean.

Only used it the once, on my last visit home. Return from Glasgow to Aberdeen, saved me about 27 quid, which was nice.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Thinking going to Clach away at Keith on Saturday and stopping the night. The train would be £35.80 if I book it as 2 singles, there's no return ticket available apart from a day return. If I get a day return for Saturday and another day return on Sunday it's £27.50. :1eye

Ended up spending £41.25 after booking 2 return tickets on Saturday my mistake and having to buy another one for Sunday. I'm a fucking genius. :(

Ended up spending £41.25 after booking 2 return tickets on Saturday my mistake and having to buy another one for Sunday. I'm a fucking genius. :(

P.S. I even fucked up quoting myself. :bairn

Edited by welshbairn

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2018 at 13:07, NorthernLights said:

Hopefully a few less cancellations going forward - ScotRail and RMT settle pay dispute after train disruption

You hoped too soon. They are still having a mare at running the East Coast services.

My expectation is that the Scottish Government will continue to try and placate the public as cancelling Abellio’s contract would be too much grief for them.

Tried out the new Cumbernauld to Edinburgh service today. Long been called for and very welcome as it takes some of the pressure off Croy but to be 20 minutes late and to have more than half the trains cancelled is a rather inauspicious start.

On 12/17/2018 at 16:20, Scary Bear said:

You hoped too soon. They are still having a mare at running the East Coast services.

My expectation is that the Scottish Government will continue to try and placate the public as cancelling Abellio’s contract would be too much grief for them.

There is a break clause in it coming up in 2022. That said, anyone who saw this debate would realise that no government would want to publicly run the trains and be blamed for every time there is a f**k up. National Express, who used to run the Scotrail franchise don't bother getting involved in rail as the returns are very small and the risk for reputational damage too high. 

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

There is a break clause in it coming up in 2022. That said, anyone who saw this debate would realise that no government would want to publicly run the trains and be blamed for every time there is a f**k up. National Express, who used to run the Scotrail franchise don't bother getting involved in rail as the returns are very small and the risk for reputational damage too high. 

I can only imagine the complete f**k up it would be if the Scottish Government ran it. 

They love having Scotrail and then Transport Scotland in between. However, for me the buck still stops with the Scottish Government of the day.

7 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I can only imagine the complete f**k up it would be if the Scottish Government ran it. 

They love having Scotrail and then Transport Scotland in between. However, for me the buck still stops with the Scottish Government of the day.

Wee team Tory talk...

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Indeed seeing Cybernats on social media still blaming the current issues on Westminster is embarrassing.

22 hours ago, drs said:

Indeed seeing Cybernats on social media still blaming the current issues on Westminster is embarrassing.

British Nationalists go all out to blame the Scottish government while their Scottish counterparts blame Westminster.

The truth is somewhere inbetween. Unfortunately nobody is interested in the truth.

46 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Insinuating the Scottish Government would f**k it up because it is the Scottish Government and not A.N. Other government is classic tory cringe tbh.

Getting offended by it is classic SNP cringe. Short of being in favour of independence, they are just your common or garden useless government c***s.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Not in the least. Scotrail's shite. There's only so much to be done by the SG for this reason. I've generalised it so it can be used for most issues:

The Scottish Government can't properly address [thing] because to do so in a timely manner needs cash that can only come from being able to borrow money from a national bank. Because the Scottish Government has limited autonomy it cannot adequately deal with [thing], which otherwise could be dealt with in an independent country.

What you've done is think of it in this way:

The Scottish Government can't properly address [thing] because to do so in a timely manner needs it to not be Scottish. Because the Scottish Government is Scottish it cannot adequately deal with [thing], which otherwise could be dealt with in a non Scottish country.

As far as i’m concerned  the Scottish Government are responsible for the Scotrail contract. When I write to the various SNP Transport Ministers to let them know of various shite aspects of Scotrail, my letter gets punted on to Transport Scotland. Transport Scotland send me a ‘whit can ye dae? Jam tomorrow though’ letter to try and placate me. It doesn’t placate me. 

Just telling me that it’s fucked and the only way they can fix it is by being an independent country doesn’t help, as that’s a thing that may never happen. 

I got that it’s an intolerable situation during the austerity years but some of the Scotrail things are purely down to shite management by Scotrail. The Scottish Government awarded the contract to Abellio and it’s up to them to make sure Abellio perform.

Edited by Scary Bear