Scotrail

ScottR96

On 9/12/2018 at 22:38, 19QOS19 said:

The 4 for 48 has confused me. Not sure what that is. But I've had a few cans.

They still do a Friends and Family Railcard if that's what you mean? And the Kids Go Free tickets (2 kids for every paying adult).

If it's a Friends and Family Ticket I'm not sure what that is.

I remember going down to Glasgow in the early 00s and you could get a Friends & Family return ticket.  I think it was valid for 3 or 4 people and it was something like £45.  I've not seen it as an option in years so I think its safe to say it was discontinued a number of years ago now.

I was pleased to see that the Scotrail staff on the front line are capable of applying common sense.  The other week I had an advanced ticket but between me buying said ticket and the day engineering works had been announced and my train was now a bus for the majority of the journey.  I tried to swap for a train that was leaving Glasgow 20 minutes earlier.  However the customer services were like we can refund you the ticket but you'd need to buy a ticket for the other train which would leave me £30 worse off.

Thankfully when I turned up at Queen Street relatively early and asked where is the bus they were like just get on the earlier train I had tried to swap my ticket for. 

1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

I remember going down to Glasgow in the early 00s and you could get a Friends & Family return ticket.  I think it was valid for 3 or 4 people and it was something like £45.  I've not seen it as an option in years so I think its safe to say it was discontinued a number of years ago now.

Scratch that, apparently you do still get them

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/group-discounts

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

I was pleased to see that the Scotrail staff on the front line are capable of applying common sense.  The other week I had an advanced ticket but between me buying said ticket and the day engineering works had been announced and my train was now a bus for the majority of the journey.  I tried to swap for a train that was leaving Glasgow 20 minutes earlier.  However the customer services were like we can refund you the ticket but you'd need to buy a ticket for the other train which would leave me £30 worse off.

Thankfully when I turned up at Queen Street relatively early and asked where is the bus they were like just get on the earlier train I had tried to swap my ticket for. 

I generally find Scotrail foot soldiers to be decent and helpful. They're coping manfully with the crisis at Ayr station and regularly have to deal with problems not of their making. But they get the flack off the customers who are disgruntled due to management calamities.

18 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The new Scotrail 385 trains have been taken out of service due to a problem with the brakes. Will be some crowded trains between Queen Street and Edinburgh for the next few weeks. 

I don't know what they're worried about, Trackdaybob says there's an 80% chance the brakes will work.

25 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The new Scotrail 385 trains have been taken out of service due to a problem with the brakes. Will be some crowded trains between Queen Street and Edinburgh for the next few weeks. 

Not sure why they need brakes when the drivers cant see out of the windows anyway ;)

4 hours ago, drs said:

Not sure why they need brakes when the drivers cant see out of the windows anyway ;)

Well at least they managed to fix that. Not been a good couple of months for the reputation of Hitachi. It’s rumoured the problems on the new trains are more serious than what has been revealed in the media. 

From what i have read the problem is when they run two units coupled together. Only the brakes in the front unit work(apart from emergency setting) so only 3/7 or 4/7 brakes are working.

The newly refreshed HST travelled from Aberdeen to Edinburgh yesterday but, erm, broke down as it passed through Fife and ended up being 30 minutes late. Not really what Scotrail were needing with the other problems that happened later that day on the line.

On 06/10/2018 at 12:04, Bold Rover said:

I generally find Scotrail foot soldiers to be decent and helpful. They're coping manfully with the crisis at Ayr station and regularly have to deal with problems not of their making. But they get the flack off the customers who are disgruntled due to management calamities.

After the last Scotland game, between signalling and the Ayr situation they were cancelling all the trains to Ayr.

As I was heading for Irvine, I just went to another platform spoke to the frontline folk and aksed could I get on Kilmarnock train with my Irvine ticket as my train cancelled.

No problem, and guard on train was fine with that ticket too. Many of the frontline staff are happy to be helpful, just they work for a shower of Management twats.

URGENT. I needPnB counsel. p***k presently sitting opposite me in a 10% occupied Edinburgh to Glasgow train asked me to vacate the seat I occupied upon boarding at Haymarket. It was his, you see, before he rose to go to the lavvy. As demonstrated by his bag above on the rack. In true PnB fashion, I drew him a look and migrated to the seat opposite (at a four seat table.) Is this worth a fist fight before we alight, comrades?

33 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

URGENT. I needPnB counsel. p***k presently sitting opposite me in a 10% occupied Edinburgh to Glasgow train asked me to vacate the seat I occupied upon boarding at Haymarket. It was his, you see, before he rose to go to the lavvy. As demonstrated by his bag above on the rack. In true PnB fashion, I drew him a look and migrated to the seat opposite (at a four seat table.) Is this worth a fist fight before we alight, comrades?

If there are loads of other seats, sniff,  mutter jesus, that's rank. and move elsewhere.

Guest Moomintroll
Boarding at Haymarket? What strange euph hell have I wandered into here?

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Boarding at Haymarket? What strange euph hell have I wandered into here?

Stayed on until Queen St. Then took another train to Ayr, but, with the crumbling buildings there, the train doesn't fully enter the station. Make of that what you will.

Guest Moomintroll
Stayed on until Queen St. Then took another train to Ayr, but, with the crumbling buildings there, the train doesn't fully enter the station. Make of that what you will.
I am also legally obliged to point out there, f*ck your Ayr.

• 1 month later...