Scotrail

ScottR96

1 hour ago, LinkinFighter said:

EK seems a particularly busy route.

It's always fun and games on a Saturday afternoon before the football. People getting knocked back as early as Giffnock due to it being full and standing.

I feel ever so sorry for them as I sit at my table full of lager.

On 3/30/2017 at 15:29, MEADOWXI said:

Scotrail's busiest cattle trucks,

Full story in link but list is;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39442233

The top 10 busiest trains in Scotland:

3. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:07. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 375 (133%)

4. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:24. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 367 (130%)

Hope no-one endures these ones.

That's the train I get to and from work, although not at those times.  I get the 07:32 one.  As I get on a Patterton, which is only the second stop on the line from Neilston, getting a seat is never an issue, but the train is usually jammed by the time it gets to Mount Florida.

On the way home I normally get the 16:05, which is busy but not too bad, but if I'm ever late and have to get the 16:35 or trains after it, it's like a sardine tin if you aren't there early enough to get a seat. 

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That's the train I get to and from work, although not at those times.  I get the 07:32 one.  As I get on a Patterton, which is only the second stop on the line from Neilston, getting a seat is never an issue, but the train is usually jammed by the time it gets to Mount Florida.

On the way home I normally get the 16:05, which is busy but not too bad, but if I'm ever late and have to get the 16:35 or trains after it, it's like a sardine tin if you aren't there early enough to get a seat. 

I sometimes get that train from Mount Florida. Can you keep me a seat if I give you a heads up?

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I sometimes get that train from Mount Florida. Can you keep me a seat if I give you a heads up?

No bother mate.  I'll passive aggressively stick my laptop bag on the seat next to me and stare out any c**t that comes near.

I saw this on Twitter but although not Scotrail I thought it appropriate on here.
C8lchtMW0AAQDWq.jpg

I used to work for the company that dealt with the online and telephone enquiries for Railcard, and the amount of people who couldn't be arsed reading the very simple website and decided to phone up complaining about this was worrying!

I buy a zonecard each 4 weeks as I need to use the bus and the train.  It usually takes three or four passes through the ticket machine at Central for the thing to be rendered useless, but this month broke the record and allowed me just one journey before it packed up.

Plus....I was told that Scotrail have stopped cutting out parts of the journey when they are late so that they can catch up time, but the practice is continuing.  The train I got out to Coatbridge Sunnyside (Caotbridge....Sunnyside.....you've got to laugh!) for our game at Cliftonhill stopped at Bathgate rather than continue to Edinburgh.

On 4/3/2017 at 14:37, Scosha said:

I get on and off these trains at Giffnock most days and it's nothing short of a f*cking shambles every day. The 07:59 gets to Giffnock at 8.16 folk are already having to stand. By Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West you're squeezed right in with folk piling in the doors at the last second. I can't understand how the train conductors don't report how bad an issue it is. There's a part between Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West where two train lines join and there's a 'jolt' at that point. Often puts people who are on their feet on their arse as they've nothing to hold on to since it's so crammed. 

The EK line is a shambles. 6 car is the maximum that can run and that service is still rammed full. Needs to be far more frequent. I get on at Crossmyloof- when I get that train I only get on because Hutchie kids are coming off and if I push myself on and make myself unpopular. Actually I often just walk to another station than face it. Last time I did it, the train stood at Crossmyloof for 4 minutes trying to get people on and off.  The issue is the express trains- they are rarely standing full which is frustrating seeing them zoom past. 

On 4/3/2017 at 17:05, Cille Mhernaig said:

The bit I've bolded is interesting as when the 18:07 Neilston service was just 3 carriages, you understandably wouldn't see the conductor till normally Muirend where they would put in an appearance once enough people had disembarked and train was no longer overcrowded. 

Guess though there is still enough money for them to take a quick walk through even if the train is halfway through the service at the risk of them being found out they had opened the doors late.

There is no guard on the Neilston line- the driver deals with doors, the ticket examiner is responsible for 'customer service and tickets'.

On 4/3/2017 at 17:55, 19QOS19 said:

It must depend what kind of guard you get. I've twice went from Lockerbie to Glasgow on the TPE and both times I never saw a conductor. I think it's understandable if it's short gaps between stops that you won't see a guard but there's a fair distance between Lockerbie and Glasgow and it wasn't even remotely busy either time.

I travel on Virgin West and East Coast a lot and you almost always get a ticket check if you are on for more than 30 mins. Indeed if you go past crew switches it is done twice- my last trip on West Coast I was checked leaving Motherwell and again at Wigan. 

In my experience of the EK line about 20-30% of guards can't be arsed doing anything but doors and won't bother to sell or check tickets. 

5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I travel on Virgin West and East Coast a lot and you almost always get a ticket check if you are on for more than 30 mins. Indeed if you go past crew switches it is done twice- my last trip on West Coast I was checked leaving Motherwell and again at Wigan. 

I've been running down to London frequently this year and my experience is a bit different. There is no ticket check at Glasgow, nor at Euston and on about a third of my journeys - usually afternoon or early evening - there has been no check on the train.

4 of us travelling from Montrose to Glasgow in June, but if we get a ticket from Aberdeen we can get some group ticket that costs £50 return for all 4.

We've been told that we actually have to board the train at Aberdeen or we can be made to buy new tickets from Montrose. Is it worth just risking getting on at Montrose and hoping the conductor isn't a w**k, or just head up to Aberdeen and have a few pints before getting the train back down again?

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 at 12:27, Hampden Diehard said:

I buy a zonecard each 4 weeks as I need to use the bus and the train.  It usually takes three or four passes through the ticket machine at Central for the thing to be rendered useless, but this month broke the record and allowed me just one journey before it packed up.

Plus....I was told that Scotrail have stopped cutting out parts of the journey when they are late so that they can catch up time, but the practice is continuing.  The train I got out to Coatbridge Sunnyside (Caotbridge....Sunnyside.....you've got to laugh!) for our game at Cliftonhill stopped at Bathgate rather than continue to Edinburgh.

The problem is if your zonecard gets near anything such as a mobile phone, tablet, etc. it busts it. I've left the card in trouser pockets accidentally & it has been fine with the automated barriers even after going through the wash (ticket inspectors however haven't been so amused) . Left near anything generating a magnetic field, & it means a trip to the nearest ticket station to get a replacement (doesn't cost anything, but the time).

Unfortunately this also means if you are on a packed train you could get your card deactivated by someone with their mobile on 24/7 in a pocket, especially on some of the early morning cattle trucks.

As for the station jumping, all they are doing is rationing it out rather than let all the lines take the King Cnut whenever they like.