Scotrail

ScottR96

Possibly. There looks to be an overtime ban on that day. If the jobs are covered on the day there shouldn't be an issue but if someone was off sick it would become an issue as no staff would come to cover. But there is generally folk sitting spare in case of sickness etc. so I imagine you should be ok.*

* Not accountable if this turns out to be not the case.

ETA. Does that service have a conductor? If not then it won't affect you at all.

What time do peak time rates start in Brighton? I have a 10am flight from Gatwick and stopping in Brighton the night before, and would like to avoid the extra cost.

Possibly. There looks to be an overtime ban on that day. If the jobs are covered on the day there shouldn't be an issue but if someone was off sick it would become an issue as no staff would come to cover. But there is generally folk sitting spare in case of sickness etc. so I imagine you should be ok.*

* Not accountable if this turns out to be not the case.

ETA. Does that service have a conductor? If not then it won't affect you at all.

I'm in seat 34A for my Scotrail train to Edinburgh at 6.28 on Friday morning. Will I have a power socket in the near vicinity?

Services without conductors would surely be hugely open to abuse. You could just buy the cheapest possible tickets online to get you through the barriers at either side.

Say I was going to Glasgow from Dundee. I could buy an advance single from Dundee to Broughty Ferry to get through the barriers at Dundee and an advance single from say Croy to Queen Street to get through at the other end.

And I would do that sort of thing if I could get away with it

To combat that they would need to introduce a smart card ticketing scheme, like that in operation on the london underground, whereby you tap in and out of the rail network.

Not sure if there's a better thread to use, but is Glasgow Queen Street still fine to travel through with the upgrades or whatever it is going on at the station?

if you are on a Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness train they are going into Central during the work at Queen Street. The rest are using Queen Street low level

I'm in seat 34A for my Scotrail train to Edinburgh at 6.28 on Friday morning. Will I have a power socket in the near vicinity?

I'm in 34B , just off a night shift with a couple of cans and sweating like a pig. I suggest you sit somewhere else.

To combat that they would need to introduce a smart card ticketing scheme, like that in operation on the london underground, whereby you tap in and out of the rail network.

Which would cost loads and be a pain to install at all stations, meaning they won't do it

They just put new barriers in at Inverness and there's more staff monitoring them than there were checking tickets before.

They are also positioned in the daftest place possible funnelling folk into a pinch point at one of the main cross over points of the station. They also tend to only have the barriers working in one direction as well. And then there's that tiny wee gate that lets people in / out of the station into Falcon Square. Barely wide enough for one person to get through with a bag let alone passengers heading in / out of the station and other folk passing through.

I imagine Dundee-Haymarket will, the train to Linlithgow I doubt.

PM me your name so I can shout it at officials in the station if I miss connecting trains and/or delayed.

Thank you.

And even then you get a cheap multi zone trip home when they leave the barriers open at the end of the night.

I've had quite a few reused return tickets when they've done that for the late trains at Aberdeen tbh.

Not sure if there's a better thread to use, but is Glasgow Queen Street still fine to travel through with the upgrades or whatever it is going on at the station?

Perfectly fine, just know what platform you need and where the entrance points are and that's it really. Queue system at peak times where simpletons moan because they can't fathom the platform being open to overcrowding.

A member of staff is not needed to open and close the fucking doors; the RMT are a joke outfit. 

When the trains are older than the conductor unfortunately they do!

The trains on my local service are one step ahead of steam locomotives.

I seem to remember when conductors went on strike (6/7 years ago), barrier gates were left open and they just opened/closed doors. Went Glasgow-Kilmarnock for gratis.

I pretty sure that's what happened when the Paris metro went on strike, they continued to 'work' ie. running the services but took no fares off anyone.

That's the way to go about getting the public on your side.

Regarding staff at the barriers, why oh why do they entertain utter simpletons who have a season ticket in the plastic wallet who walk up to the barriers and hold the season ticket up like they are in the CID showing their warrant cards rather than do what ever other person does and take the ticket out the wallet and place through the ticket reader.

You then get the scotrail staff checking it is valid and manually open the gates for them, causing hold up for other people who have elected to use that particular barrier.

Get these fuds told to get the ticket out the wallet and go to the back of the queue  as they are causing a hold up. These eejits might not see it as customer service but everyone who is held up by their gormlessness certainly would and after a couple of times they should learn from their mistakes.

ETA maybe more appropriate for PTTGOYN than this thread but is scotrail related. 

In glorious Deutschland there are no ticket barriers and very, very few inspectors. When I went to Cologne and Dusseldorf last year I was on trains an awful lot over the four days and only seen two, had my ticket checked once, on the way to the airport.

The incentive to buy a ticket is the massive fine if you're caught freeloading.

In glorious Deutschland there are no ticket barriers and very, very few inspectors. When I went to Cologne and Dusseldorf last year I was on trains an awful lot over the four days and only seen two, had my ticket checked once, on the way to the airport.

On the Munich underground the penalty used to be sweeping the platform of a station.

Similar to when I used the underground in Prague. You buy your tickets at machines but there are no ticket barriers and in 4 days, I never once saw an inspector. Though I'm certain the one time I didn't have a ticket, one would have appeared!

Similar to when I used the underground in Prague. You buy your tickets at machines but there are no ticket barriers and in 4 days, I never once saw an inspector. Though I'm certain the one time I didn't have a ticket, one would have appeared!

Tickets are cheap as chips out there too! Actually, it's not sufficient to just have a ticket. You have to have it stamped in one of the machines dotted around. So I guess you could buy your ticket, then keep a hold of it, and then make a mad dash to the validation machine as soon as you see an inspector. 

When the trains are older than the conductor unfortunately they do!

The trains on my local service are one step ahead of steam locomotives.

It's not so much about the age of the trains, more the safety aspect. I work on older sets but the driver still has the power in his cab to open and close the doors.* But if the train is on a bend he would have absolutely no way of knowing if anyone was caught in the doors.

A lot of people seem to think that our sets have a sensor release if they stick their arm out before it shuts. It's not the case. If someone puts their arm out to hold open the door, their arm will be caught in the door.

*This never ever happens. I'm just pointing out that the setup of the set would allow it.

Edited by 19QOS19