Scotrail

ScottR96

I'm with 3 so have totes #dece 3G or 4G all the way down on the Perth line and across on the Aberdeen line. Wi-Fi is for losers who are with Vodafone and the like.

Is complaining about wi-fi on a train not similar to complaining about food on a plane?

Well, no, not really. You pay more for food on a plane therefore you have a right to complain if you don't find it satisfactory. Wifi is (as far as I'm aware) free on the Scotrail service therefore I don't think you can have the same right to complain.

That's just my view and it's something that boils my piss in general. Folk who complain about something they get for free.

Well, no, not really. You pay more for food on a plane therefore you have a right to complain if you don't find it satisfactory. Wifi is (as far as I'm aware) free on the Scotrail service therefore I don't think you can have the same right to complain.

That's just my view and it's something that boils my piss in general. Folk who complain about something they get for free.

^^^Only flys Ryanair.

Ok...let's assume I was talking about where the food is included in the ticket cost...then what I said.

You realise that free at the point of use doesn't = free.

Unless you are suggesting scotrail board of directors pay for additional bonuses on top of actual transpor like Wi-Fi seats out of their own pocket as a treat for passengers.

Can you complain about a toilet on a train? They are "free".

Ok...let's assume I was talking about where the food is included in the ticket cost...then what I said.

So you've paid for the food, as I've already mentioned? :rolleyes:

You realise that free at the point of use doesn't = free.

Unless you are suggesting scotrail board of directors pay for additional bonuses on top of actual transpor like Wi-Fi seats out of their own pocket as a treat for passengers.

Can you complain about a toilet on a train? They are "free".

I don't understand what you are saying in the first two parts. But of course you can complain about a toilet. Having somewhere to do your business is a basic human right surely. Access to free wifi isn't!

So you've paid for the food, as I've already mentioned? :rolleyes:

I don't understand what you are saying in the first two parts. But of course you can complain about a toilet. Having somewhere to do your business is a basic human right surely. Access to free wifi isn't!

Wifi was part of the franchise agreement s9.11

It isn't being provided as a free service but to meet their contract obligations. Therefore customers are perfectly entitled to expect it.

From the agreement:

The provision of passenger ‘Wi-Fi’ internet access is required.

9.11.1 The Franchisee shall ensure that the Rolling Stock includes the installation of equipment to allow passenger access to the mobile digital communications via an onboard wireless connection.

9.11.2 The Franchisee shall ensure that the installation as a minimum allows 4G operation from the public networks where this is available for passengers with mobile devices, and Wi-Fi connectivity with 802.11n standard access points, minimum speed 20 Mbps.

They're okay. The only times I've ever been delayed more than about half an hour on a train has been when on non-Scotrail services, but they were all journeys into England and the cause of the delay in each instance was in England. Once delayed for a dead animal on the track and a couple of times for things like signal failures.

My main gripe is cost. The only real journey I do frequently by rail is Aberdeen to Glasgow and even with the 16-25 Railcard it sets you back over £45 for an Off-Peak return. That's more than I'd spend on fuel driving there and back including a stop each way at the Horn for a bacon and egg roll and Irn Bru.

The cost of a single to Edinburgh at peak times is also a bit of a nonsense at about £12, and you can't get an open-return, just same-day, which is pish.

I have resorted a couple of times to getting the Megabus to Aberdeen to save money, but christ, for the £30 you save on a return journey it's fucking depressing.

Also the WiFi is crap on most of the Glasgow to Aberdeen route. It just gives up outside of most stations from Dundee north.

ETA: and some of the trains on the Central line out past the lines that Giffnock and Williamwood are on are proper BHS apocalypse levels of old and decrepit.

Edited by Ad Lib

Wifi was part of the franchise agreement s9.11

It isn't being provided as a free service but to meet their contract obligations. Therefore customers are perfectly entitled to expect it.

From the agreement:

The provision of passenger ‘Wi-Fi’ internet access is required.

9.11.1 The Franchisee shall ensure that the Rolling Stock includes the installation of equipment to allow passenger access to the mobile digital communications via an onboard wireless connection.

9.11.2 The Franchisee shall ensure that the installation as a minimum allows 4G operation from the public networks where this is available for passengers with mobile devices, and Wi-Fi connectivity with 802.11n standard access points, minimum speed 20 Mbps.

I suppose that actually backs up my initial grievance about when it became people's right to have access to wifi :lol:

By the same argument mate, you've also paid for the 'free' wi-fi...

If ticket prices went up once it was introduced then yes that's of course true. Did they? As I say, we don't have wifi down these parts (yet) so can't say whether prices went up or not after it was introduced.

If ticket prices went up once it was introduced then yes that's of course true. Did they? As I say, we don't have wifi down these parts (yet) so can't say whether prices went up or not after it was introduced.

No idea if they did or not...I'm sure not directly but we all know that each and every cost is factored in when ticket prices are re-calculated.

Wi-fi on trains? Where I am we don't even have trains!

Whilst getting an open return ticket can be horrendously expensive, if you book a specific train far enough in advance you can get some good deals. I was getting quoted a £60 off peak return from Dundee - Lancaster. Looked into it further, got from Edinburgh - Lancaster and back for £6.95 each way and then Dundee - Edinburgh for £7 and just £3 on the way back. Overall it was £24, less than half the price of an off peak return.

Likewise, I was being quoted £32 return for Dundee - Balloch in a couple weeks. Can get advance tickets to Glasgow from Dundee for £3.30 each way. Then the Glasgow - Balloch train is just a few quid for a return.

Basically, if you plan in advance it can work out far cheaper taking the train than the bus. Though if you can't plan in advance, it can be fucking expensive.

Whilst getting an open return ticket can be horrendously expensive, if you book a specific train far enough in advance you can get some good deals. I was getting quoted a £60 off peak return from Dundee - Lancaster. Looked into it further, got from Edinburgh - Lancaster and back for £6.95 each way and then Dundee - Edinburgh for £7 and just £3 on the way back. Overall it was £24, less than half the price of an off peak return.

Likewise, I was being quoted £32 return for Dundee - Balloch in a couple weeks. Can get advance tickets to Glasgow from Dundee for £3.30 each way. Then the Glasgow - Balloch train is just a few quid for a return.

Basically, if you plan in advance it can work out far cheaper taking the train than the bus. Though if you can't plan in advance, it can be fucking expensive.

Only if it isn't too far in advance. If you want to travel more than 24 weeks in the future, you cannot purchase a cheap ticket.

No idea if they did or not...I'm sure not directly but we all know that each and every cost is factored in when ticket prices are re-calculated.

Wi-fi on trains? Where I am we don't even have trains!

f**k yer trains and WiFi; I wanna ride in one of these bad boys!

jeepney.jpg