Scotrail

ScottR96

I paid £93 for two returns from Aberdeen to Dunfermline a few months back, the train back up was far too overcrowded that we couldn't stay on for nearly 3 hours so we got off at Ladybank, and my girlfriend was about to pass out with anxiety. The seat reservation tickets had been removed so it was just a big fucking free-for-all to get a seat, regardless of who'd had one booked and who didn't. Scotrail said I'd be refunded if we had a seat booked but didn't get them, so I sent the tickets back upon request and highlighted the bit that marked our reserved seat. The spineless c***s went back on their word and gave me £20 'good will' vouchers for another journey.

I don't get a train often but Scotrail often seem to make an almighty arse of things. I also made a connection train from Perth to Inverness by a bawhair as my initial train had been delayed 20 minutes for a change of drivers. Had I missed the Perth-Inverness train, that would have meant an overnight stay in Perth for the next service that was in the morning.

In my experience the trains have got noticeably less reliable since Abellio took over, used to moan when it was First but since they lost the contract and it's just gotten worse.

Not sure about reliability, but the communication of problems has got much worse IMO. Plenty of announcements warning you not to slip on the platform but nothing about the reason why the last 3 trains haven't appeared. The rest of your post covers that quite nicely!

Don't use the trains myself but heard a report on the BBC travel news that a train wasn't stopping at certain stations on its route due to the 'weather conditions'. WTF?

Probably just poor reporting. Trains aren't stopping at Ardrossan and Largs, but that's because the lines they are on are temporarily closed due to the weather.

The weather on Tuesday caused my train to stop at Busby, granted not Scotrails fault, however when the train empties and there's about 100 people crowding round the information point they told us to go to it's not the most convenient. Bus stop outside the station was also mobbed so decided to walk it up to Hairmyres, glad I did, as in the 20 minute walk not a single bus passed me and it took Scotrail about an hour to organise a replacement service. Piss poor contingency planning.

How the hell did you walk 3 miles in 20 minutes?!?!

How the hell did you walk 3 miles in 20 minutes?!?!

I only had to walk a couple of miles and it was horrendous weather. Head down, turn up the music and CHAAAAARRRGGGGEEEE!!!

Water was streaming down the dual carriageway and the cars were sending waves towards the footpath, had full waterproofs on and still managed to get my feet soaked. :(

I find the wi-fi to be OK when you're travelling through urban areas but a unusable in less populated/rural areas. Not much of a surprise since it'll be using the mobile network.

I noticed that there are new tiers of advanced tickets now. I was buying my train tickets for my trip to see Muse at The Hydro in April. I got a standard advanced at £11.40 down to Glasgow but the return to Aberdeen was just £5. The catch is you don't get a reserved seat but for that price it a good deal.

Foe the people with reading comprehension difficulties.

I don't think a single person has said scotrail are shite because of the Wi-Fi.

If there was no Wi-Fi no one would care.

The fact it is there and used as a selling point and widely advertised by Scotrail and doesn't work is worthy of comment.

Similarly, I don't think a single person's said that anyone's said that Scotrail are shite because of the WiFi.

How are the comprehension classes going? :P

Some tramp sitting on the seats across from me just now with his feet on the chair. Hate manky selfish tramps like that. When I first started getting the train I would pull folk up for their ignorant behaviour on a daily basis but it doesn't reduce the incidence of it overall and just gets me wound up so unless it affects me directly now I just ignore it.

Weren't you accusing people of making stuff up earlier in the thread? :P

Granny Danger, on 29 Jan 2016 - 15:43, said:

Don't use the trains myself but heard a report on the BBC travel news that a train wasn't stopping at certain stations on its route due to the 'weather conditions'. WTF?

This is more likely to be that old trick where a late running train goes 'express' in order to make up time and get it to terminus before the TOC gets fined for being late. Hugely irritating when you rely on a smaller station to get you by.

Last night had a two carriage train at peak time southbound, then I was 20 minutes late getting in this morning. Standard.

Foe the people with reading comprehension difficulties.

I don't think a single person has said scotrail are shite because of the Wi-Fi.

If there was no Wi-Fi no one would care.

The fact it is there and used as a selling point and widely advertised by Scotrail and doesn't work is worthy of comment.

I wouldn't say the wifi is a selling point tbh. I'd say it's more a courtesy to passengers (when it's available). And as someone said, it runs off a 3G signal which will explain why it's not the greatest. It's not something available on our lines anyway!

I find the wi-fi to be OK when you're travelling through urban areas but a unusable in less populated/rural areas. Not much of a surprise since it'll be using the mobile network.

I'm the complete opposite, the rural areas tend to get the better and faster WiFi than the urban areas on my train.

I wouldn't say the wifi is a selling point tbh. I'd say it's more a courtesy to passengers (when it's available). And as someone said, it runs off a 3G signal which will explain why it's not the greatest. It's not something available on our lines anyway!

Well your employer doesn't think it's a courtesy. They think it's a pretty basic necessity that they acknowledge has to improve.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13464512.ScotRail_operator_in_bid_to_bring__high_quality_and_reliable__wifi_to_Scotland_s_trains/

Well your employer doesn't think it's a courtesy. They think it's a pretty basic necessity that they acknowledge has to improve.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13464512.ScotRail_operator_in_bid_to_bring__high_quality_and_reliable__wifi_to_Scotland_s_trains/

I still wouldn't class wifi as a necessity (at any public area for that matter). My view is that wifi is a bonus when it's available and I don't go to places based on whether or not those places offer free wifi!

Is the Wi-fi free? You should try it on the Virgin trains. You need to pay for it, and it's slower than AOL dial-up.

Yeah I encountered this going to Newcastle last year. You get 15 free minutes then charged the rest.

I chose to get drunk. I chose correct.

I used to always get the Irvine to Glasgow train 5 days a week for work but found it cheaper to car share with the misses! The prices are crazy for even monthly ticket (over £160 easily) and now over £12 for a peak daily return is a bump. Still have get it once a week on her day off and service is fine March to November but December to February wind, snow and flooding often delaying trains. They are very comfy and I know what trains to get that have plenty carriages and space but still get raging when some usually smelly b*****d gets on at Johnstone or Paisley and wakes me up. The trains home at peak time from Glasgow to Ayrshire are actually too frequent going through Paisley so end up held up and 5/10 minutes late all too often.

If ever more than 30 minutes late highly recommend claiming it back. Done it a few times now and get money off next ticket.

Edited by Shannon

I still wouldn't class wifi as a necessity (at any public area for that matter). My view is that wifi is a bonus when it's available and I don't go to places based on whether or not those places offer free wifi!

Is complaining about wi-fi on a train not similar to complaining about food on a plane?

Of course it's going to be expensive to travel from Coatbridge, on a peak service between the two principal cities of the country, then on to Inverkeithing on a second train rammed with commuters as well. Anyone spending £100 a week to travel to their work simply needs to move much closer to it, rather than expect to pay a shilling for travelling on such a ridiculous route at the peak travel time of the day.

There's a girl in my work who commutes from Dundee to Glasgow every day. Think her season ticket is about £5000 per year. Absolutely mental, but I believe her husband is some scientist at Abertay, so most likely makes a mint, and she just genuinely enjoys doing what she does for a living.

I was blotto last night in Edinburgh and they only let me on the last train because it was my birthday and if I bought a coffee from Burger King. Helped me off the train as well.

Scotrail = good c***s