Scotrail

ScottR96

I don't use scotrail regularly, but did see moans on social media from people I know who did, but I use them quite a bit and I've never had an issue and often it'll be for - along with a bus - getting to/from an airport.

Their WiFi is atrocious and some of their trains are grubby as f**k, but find them decent value most of the time I use them personally.

I've been on that Fife route though from Inverkeithing. f**k me, it took about an extra forty minutes to get to Dundee stopping at every station.

Here's how the cost broken down in the Independent;

He spent 7hours in Berlin

He broke down what he spent on his adventure:

• Train from Sheffield to Derby: £4
  • Bus from Derby to East Midlands Airport: £4.20
  • Ryanair flight to Berlin: £11.83
  • Train from airport to Berlin city centre: £5
  • Currywurst sausage for lunch: £1.50
  • Ryanair flight to London Stansted: £9.54
  • Bus home to Hutton from Stansted Airport: £8

Total: £44.07

This is in comparison to the £47 train ride, a £2.99 sandwich and the £1.80 bus home at the other end - coming to £51.79 - if he took the train.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/teenager-flies-from-sheffield-to-essex-via-berlin-because-it-is-cheaper-than-getting-the-train-a6837836.html

Distinct absence of drink, whores, strippers and drugs.

Im not a massive user of the trains but everytime i have its been fine,but the best thing ive ever seen on a train is when a women had an advance ticket on the train and the conductor was explaining to her that she had to buy a new ticket as she wasnt on the correct train.The women goes into a rant about how she had phoned up saying she was gong to be late for her train and that scotrail should have "held " the train for her,she paid for her ticket again and then continued to phone all and sundry on her contact list telling them about how nasty scotrail had treated her

Never happened.

I put it on here at the time as it was funny as fook,best thing about it was she was saying to the conductor she had only missed the train she was booked on by about a minute when in truth she just about made the train she was on as everybody seen here running down the footbridge including the conductor,the trains here are every 20-30mins

Edited by doulikefish

Scotrail are pish. Don't let any of these people who don't have to commute at peak times tell you otherwise. Linlithgow to Haymarket and back is a complete platform and timetabling lottery. £10 return for a journey that should last about 12 minutes is hellish. And it's worse for the poor sods trying to get on a 2 coach Dunblane train. Two of the most frequently used words in the English language "Scotrail apologises ...". Bawsacks.

I put it on here at the time as it was funny as fook,best thing about it was she was saying to the conductor she had only missed the train she was booked on by about a minute when in truth she just about made the train she was on as everybody seen here running down the footbridge including the conductor,the trains here are every 20-30mins

I think anyone who's used the trains regularly will be familiar with the occasional mentalist who thinks that train schedules should be malleable for folk who're running late. I've no doubt the staff at most stations have to deal with a few calls from them every day.

Once enjoyed the hilarity of a whole family running with suitcases and stuff (imagine the Fast Show running family sketches) across Aberdeen station for the 08:20 service to Penzance.

The one that got closest to the train as it pulled away from Platform 5 was the father of the group who in utter defeat and desperation throw a large dog bed frisbee style down the platform at the departing train, before looking for a member of staff to berate for failing to get his family there on time for a train.

For a few months before Christmas I found myself using the Edinburgh - Stirling route, which was always usually empty plus around £7 return, which I found quite good value.

Now I'm travelling to Stirling from Dundee, which sets me back £14 (even though the journey time is pretty similar) and since it's going to Queen Street, usually much busier.

Have never had too much bother with ScotRail though. Yeah the WiFi is usually shit, but I appreciate the fact that they don't charge me at least!

It's Cross Country trains that I despise with a passion. I've frequently got the same Sunday night service from Edinburgh - Dundee, and every single time I've been pressed up against the door with around 20 others standing around me. You'd think if this happened every single time, you might want to have more than 3 standard class carriages.

I can't complain that much about Scotrail, my railway passes get me most places for nowt. If I was paying for the service I'd be raging, prices for travelling within the British rail network are frightening. I travel back and forward from Haymarket to Queen street for uni so I suppose I'm not getting a true perspective on what they're really like. Scotrail will allow any other parts of their network suffer so that the flagship Queen St line is working well. Past 6 months if I've been travelling at peak times they're 6 car services, which is as big as they can get at the moment. 5 years time I believe part of the EGIP program has longer platforms in place at Edinburgh and Glasgow to accommodate longer trains, but that'll be 5 years off at best.

The fact that Scotrail's WiFi service has been one of the most common complaints in this thread has been something of an eye-opener. Back when I started using trains, it was more about whether or not there'd actually be a bloody train, and the assumption was that you'd be shunted in a filthy threadbare box that hadn't been cleaned since the Fifties. Still, at least I'm too young to remember the days of chimney sweeps being paid to sprinkle coal dust around third class carriages in order to force besuited professionals to pay for first class tickets.

(yes, QI)

The fact that Scotrail's WiFi service has been one of the most common complaints in this thread has been something of an eye-opener. Back when I started using trains, it was more about whether or not there'd actually be a bloody train, and the assumption was that you'd be shunted in a filthy threadbare box that hadn't been cleaned since the Fifties. Still, at least I'm too young to remember the days of chimney sweeps being paid to sprinkle coal dust around third class carriages in order to force besuited professionals to pay for first class tickets.

(yes, QI)

Was thinking something similar myself.

If shitty wi-fi and not being able to buy a cup of coffee with a credit card are all Scotrail have to worry about, they can rest easily.

I really like Scotrail. Free travel, a really good wage, great pension scheme, lots of time off :ph34r:

Agree with the wifi thing. When did it become people's god given right to have access to free wifi? :lol:

Folk who ask to have the train held makes me laugh as well. Seriously? These are probably the same people who complain when the train is late!

In my experience the trains have got noticeably less reliable since Abellio took over, used to moan when it was First but since they lost the contract and it's just gotten worse.

The weather on Tuesday caused my train to stop at Busby, granted not Scotrails fault, however when the train empties and there's about 100 people crowding round the information point they told us to go to it's not the most convenient. Bus stop outside the station was also mobbed so decided to walk it up to Hairmyres, glad I did, as in the 20 minute walk not a single bus passed me and it took Scotrail about an hour to organise a replacement service. Piss poor contingency planning.

Yesterday I head over to Hairmyres station for the 14:30 train and the next train on the board is the delayed 14:45 to East Kilbride, no mention of the 14:30 train at all. So I go to the information point to ask whats happening, the guy on there hasn't got a clue just keeps disappearing for a couple of minutes at a time and comes back with 'just trying to find out whats happening with that train', 10 fucking minutes this eejit is 'trying to find out' and I'm getting more and more stressed because I've got wean to pick up from school at 15:00. The train actually turns up before this chump can tell me if the train exists or not, absolutely useless. How is it possible that this guy couldn't tell me there was a train sitting at East Kilbride station?

So, aye, Scotrail, bunch of c***s!

Foe the people with reading comprehension difficulties.

I don't think a single person has said scotrail are shite because of the Wi-Fi.

If there was no Wi-Fi no one would care.

The fact it is there and used as a selling point and widely advertised by Scotrail and doesn't work is worthy of comment.