Scotrail

ScottR96

Apparently some uni student in Sheffield was going back home to Essex and found it cheaper to fly home via Berlin than take the train :lol:

Seen that on BBC. Must be the ugliest person I've ever seen, looks like he's wearing one of they fake noses/glasses masks. Personally think he just flew to Berlin to get his hole off a hooker or something.

Don't know how he's managed it though. A train to Derby, flights, bus fares and lunch in Berlin for £44.07?! Spoof.

post-14721-14539805043016_thumb.jpg

Seen that on BBC. Must be the ugliest person I've ever seen, looks like he's wearing one of they fake noses/glasses masks. Personally think he just flew to Berlin to get his hole off a hooker or something.

Don't know how he's managed it though. A train to Derby, flights, bus fares and lunch in Berlin for £44.07?! Spoof.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1453980502.639682.jpg

Here's how the cost broken down in the Independent;

He spent 7hours in Berlin

He broke down what he spent on his adventure:

• Train from Sheffield to Derby: £4
  • Bus from Derby to East Midlands Airport: £4.20
  • Ryanair flight to Berlin: £11.83
  • Train from airport to Berlin city centre: £5
  • Currywurst sausage for lunch: £1.50
  • Ryanair flight to London Stansted: £9.54
  • Bus home to Hutton from Stansted Airport: £8

Total: £44.07

This is in comparison to the £47 train ride, a £2.99 sandwich and the £1.80 bus home at the other end - coming to £51.79 - if he took the train.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/teenager-flies-from-sheffield-to-essex-via-berlin-because-it-is-cheaper-than-getting-the-train-a6837836.html

Edited by MEADOWXI

Here's how the cost broken down in the Independent;

He spent 7hours in Berlin

This is in comparison to the £47 train ride, a £2.99 sandwich and the £1.80 bus home at the other end - coming to £51.79 - if he took the train.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/teenager-flies-from-sheffield-to-essex-via-berlin-because-it-is-cheaper-than-getting-the-train-a6837836.html

The price of they flights, my days. I'm £8 odds for a return train to and from Dundee. Mental.

Fuctifano's post. :lol:

From the article,

He said his technique would not suit everyone as it means an entire day of travelling but if “your focus is saving money and you fancy a little walk around a European city, it’s worth a look”.

The money saving blogger said on certain train routes it can often be cheaper to fly via Ireland or elsewhere in Europe than travelling directly.

He warned it would take "a bit of trial and error" so consumers needed to be wary about extra booking fees.

If you have a day to waste and travelling any distance.

I have to get 2 trains to work, one to Edinburgh then another to Inverkeithing. I find the train service OK for the most part, pretty annoything though if your train is delayed and you miss the connection.

The price is an absolute joke though, £25 return from Coatbridge to Inverkeithing via. Edinburgh. I only work Mon-Thurs so the weekly ticket doesn't save me much (if anything).

Why is the stuff he spent in Germany round numbers in £ and the flights, which are normally £x.99, non-rouded numbers. Also been pointed out he could have got the bus home for £28

Agree that must have been a fairly small currywurst.

I have to get 2 trains to work, one to Edinburgh then another to Inverkeithing. I find the train service OK for the most part, pretty annoything though if your train is delayed and you miss the connection.

The price is an absolute joke though, £25 return from Coatbridge to Inverkeithing via. Edinburgh. I only work Mon-Thurs so the weekly ticket doesn't save me much (if anything).

Move to Fife?

Never had many issues on the Aberdeen - Inverness line. Trains were normally pretty busy but you were almost always able to get a cheap advance single ticket and there are plenty of trains to pick from.

The Edinburgh - Inverness line is shite. Don't think I've been on a train that's arrived on time once yet when heading north. Not many trains to pick from either (compared to the Aberdeen - Inverness route) and the advance tickets sell out pretty quickly. If I travel north on a Friday and get the 17:46 from Haymarket I'm lucky if I get a seat by the time I get to Perth.

That said these new £5 advance tickets are superb value so that's something at least.

Of course it's going to be expensive to travel from Coatbridge, on a peak service between the two principal cities of the country, then on to Inverkeithing on a second train rammed with commuters as well. Anyone spending £100 a week to travel to their work simply needs to move much closer to it, rather than expect to pay a shilling for travelling on such a ridiculous route at the peak travel time of the day.