Scotrail

ScottR96

I think it's fair to say that Scotrail has a pretty poor reputation. A quick look on social media and delays, cancellations, overcrowded trains and shite staff appear to be common.

I saw a lot of people moaning today about there being no trains between Croy and Glasgow which meant they were late for work or Uni. I rely on trains to get to and from work and very rarely have any problems so I've always thought the extent of their incompetence is greatly exaggerated. Lo and behold, my train to work is cancelled and with no replacement bus service on offer. I'm now going to be late for work.

Do any P&Bers have any Scotrail horror stories?

Considering how much I get the train, I'm stunned I haven't been burned by them more often. There was one though, when I was waiting for the train, and about 20 minutes beyond the time when it was supposed to arrive, I decided to try and contact them using the services they have for that at the stations. They very quickly told me the train was cancelled. Which wasn't relayed to us at the station, despite having the capability to do so. And also meant I couldn't reach another station in time.

I use Scotrail pretty much daily.

Pros. I find the service to be punctual and reliable. Any time there has been an issue I have been taxied to my destination including from Dundee to Glasgow.

Trains on the Aberdeen to Glasgow and Edinburgh lines are clean comfortable and modern.

Cons. Trains from Glasgow to anywhere not Aberdeen are rattly, cold and shite seats. Like old corporation busses.

Wifi is shite

There is about a 1/5 chance the card machine works on board.

Can't buy a coffee by card.

Too few trains have catering.

I think it's fair to say that Scotrail has a pretty poor reputation. A quick look on social media and delays, cancellations, overcrowded trains and shite staff appear to be common.

I saw a lot of people moaning today about there being no trains between Croy and Glasgow which meant they were late for work or Uni. I rely on trains to get to and from work and very rarely have any problems so I've always thought the extent of their incompetence is greatly exaggerated. Lo and behold, my train to work is cancelled and with no replacement bus service on offer. I'm now going to be late for work.

Do any P&Bers have any Scotrail horror stories?

I seen a statistic say that only 6% of trains arrive on time at Arbroath, it's a pretty busy station obviously with trains coming from Dundee/Aberdeen very regularly so that's a lot of late trains.

Brora away though, thank f**k we booked in advance or we wouldn't have made it. Train was 5 minutes late, connecting train to Inverness was leaving 5 minutes after we were supposed to arrive in Aberdeen, if we missed that there was only the one train north from Inverness that would've made it in time for KO.

We asked them if they could hold the one to Inverness at Aberdeen, told no, we then arrived in Aberdeen, stepped off the platform and heard the other train just starting up, tried to make a run for it but doors were closed.

The result was a taxi to Inverness and then another one from there all the way to Brora. Awful, awful journey.

In my last job I travelled between Glasgow and Aberdeen 3 times per week for six months and I can only recall two delays in that time.

Alternately, a good friend of mine had constant delays between Kircaldy adn Edinburgh.

The service has definitely gotten worse since Abellio got the contract.

I used to travel from Wishaw to Cathcart, winter time was bollocks from Wishaw to Central. Always frozen points or some other shit.

If you threw yourself down in they seats it would seriously f**k up your back. You learned to suss the ones that had been replaced and were comfy.

Staff on scotrail were decent enough, Virgin female bruiser slung me out of first class gig once. Hardly a c**t in it tae, couple of business bloaters.

Fucking raging with tail between my legs. Plush as f**k tae, super comfy, the business.

Fat cow, and just because I was given the wrong ticket.

To be fair the Circle line from Central to Cathcart was pretty decent though. A very multi-cultural lot travelled on this line.

Edited by wishyman

The service in this neck of the woods is pretty decent most of the time. My only gripe is there being no train from Dingwall to Inverness after the match until about half 7 on Saturdays. It's a good excuse to stay in the pub for a few hours though.

I used to travel between Edinburgh and Glasgow for uni 3 times a week. The service was always pretty good to be honest, the only complaints being that some of the trains coming back were a bit overcrowded to start with and that for some reason they'd never put up what platform the train was leaving from until about 2 minutes before it was due to go. This always resulted in a mad scramble along the platform from folk who wanted a seat - I suspect the staff were watching this and betting on who'd get to the train doors first and who'd fall off the platform under the train.

I travel by train a fair amount for gigs. My main journey would be Aberdeen-Glasgow and the odd one to Edinburgh. Not had any major issues with those two routes. Once or twice I've got into Aberdeen maybe 10-20 minutes later then scheduled.

The only major issue I had was a planned trip to Rothes which involved a train to Elgin last year. The train I was booked on was cancelled as a train had broken down north of Dyce. I was told I could catch the next train but I was going to the football and I would have missed the entire first half and part of the second half if I did that! I got a full refund though.

I used the Borders railway not long after it opened last year and the train out to Galashiels was fine but on the way back to Edinburgh there were several cancellations in both directions and I probably got back to Edinburgh nearly an hour later then planned.

The guys at my work who use the train to commute between Aberdeen and the likes of Inverurie often complain about how poor the rush hour services are.

I don't have to travel on trains for work at the moment, which is great, it's not just Scotrail who are shite. My main gripe with Scotrail is their normal underestimation of people wanting to travel between the 2 biggest cities in Scotland at the weekend, particularly on a Sunday, leading to 3 carriage trains and massive overcrowding.

The Wifi is bollocks as well but at least they don't have the gall to charge you for it like Virgin do (or used to)- though I discovered the way round that was to sit in the carriage nearest to first class and you could pick up the free signal from there.

Fife circle is shite. I noticed a wee "performance results" thing stuck up in Dunfermline Town ticket office and it's something like 86.3% running to time. Bear in mind that includes the criteria of being ten minutes late being "on-time", which is fucking gash. Despite the lack of seats, during the Bridge closure the service was better than normal!

Scotrail seem to pick excuses for delays and cancellations out of a hat. Last night it was a "train fault". Recently we've had lack of train crew, signalling, late running other trains, congestion on the line and animals on the line, which given the fact it goes through Cowdenbeath probably carries a lot of truth! :lol:

Considering how much I get the train, I'm stunned I haven't been burned by them more often. There was one though, when I was waiting for the train, and about 20 minutes beyond the time when it was supposed to arrive, I decided to try and contact them using the services they have for that at the stations. They very quickly told me the train was cancelled. Which wasn't relayed to us at the station, despite having the capability to do so. And also meant I couldn't reach another station in time.

Clearly doesn't wear a sheep costume on the train.

I use Scotrail pretty much daily.

Pros. I find the service to be punctual and reliable. Any time there has been an issue I have been taxied to my destination including from Dundee to Glasgow.

Trains on the Aberdeen to Glasgow and Edinburgh lines are clean comfortable and modern.

Cons. Trains from Glasgow to anywhere not Aberdeen are rattly, cold and shite seats. Like old corporation busses.

Wifi is shite

There is about a 1/5 chance the card machine works on board.

Can't buy a coffee by card.

Too few trains have catering.

How difficult is it to carry a couple of quid in your pocket? (or have a £500 note... ho ho ho).

I find the service generally all right but it does get a bit annoying having 'dry trains' for the fitba.

Only time I ever had to complain to them about anything was when my train was delayed by an hour coming back from visiting the (at the time) missus in Glasgow. Was trying to get back to Aberdeen in time for the first race of the Cheltenham Festival on the TV, meant I had to get a taxi from town out to the local (rather than the bus) and I applied to get the taxi fare paid back to me. They refused and gave me something like half the cost of my train ticket, which was about £5 because I'd booked it in advance, didn't even cover half the taxi fare. Was a bit miffed at that.

I've also just e-mailed them to try and get some money back for the train tickets that I didn't use for the St Johnstone game that was called off at the beginning of the month, not holding my breath though.

Edited by 10menwent2mow