The Overpriced Mercenary Leagues Thread

Sloop John B

21 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The only way this  makes some kind of sense is in a "fake it till you make it" sense

If they keep doing this for long enough and burn enough money then eventually they're going to attract enough attention and some people somewhere will give a toss.

Although probably not in Western Europe

The Chinese communist party ran out of patience for this project. The Saudis don't have as much money but might just be more stubborn

My opinion is that they will find their into the Champions League, or put mega coin behind the Super League using the likes of Juve, Milan, Real, Barca et al to do their dirty work. 

Convincing players to come to Saudi then farming them out on some sort of billionaire "hotel allocated on arrival" deal might be the most sickening display of what football in 2023 is about we've yet seen. 

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The only way this  makes some kind of sense is in a "fake it till you make it" sense

If they keep doing this for long enough and burn enough money then eventually they're going to attract enough attention and some people somewhere will give a toss.

Although probably not in Western Europe

The Chinese communist party ran out of patience for this project. The Saudis don't have as much money but might just be more stubborn

There's also a potential they are not going at it the same way,  and maybe are taking their golf experiment as the prototype and aren't thinking about sustained high levels of investment to make it work on their own,  more hoping they can go so hard so quickly that it buys a seat at the big table. The levels of investment needed even to do that will be very high, much higher than they did with golf and that was high in the first place,  but I think they reckon its doable. 

As much as I hate the sportswashing shite going on here.

And the inevitability of a horrible super league being pushed through with the backing of these cretins.

There is a massive brass neck from c***s like Neville and Carragher getting raging about vast sums of money being used to buy players when they w**k themselves silly about the money involved in the EPL.

On 18/06/2023 at 19:13, Miguel Sanchez said:

A reply to the tweet I saw about the transfer suggested he could be loaned to Newcastle as some sort of FFP workaround. It wouldn't surprise me.

This should immediately trigger investigation.

Also convenient that Chelsea are being linked with dumping 8-10 overpriced players off to Saudi clubs all of a sudden.

• 1 month later...