The Overpriced Mercenary Leagues Thread

Sloop John B

While the companies are making healthy profits they'll pump money into the clubs...

The guys signing for Chinese teams are the international equivalents of the guys who signed for Rangers in the 3rd division.

Companies throwing resources into football isn't that unusual - look at Bayer and Volkswagen (Wolfsburg) in the German leagues, Red Bull with a couple of teams although they've been shit at it; they did rather better through Formula 1 for a while. Whether the Chinese league will last long enough to build some credibility is the obvious question, and the lack of transparency around the Chinese economy and the state in general could mean that went companies go tits up or fall out of favour, their clubs are folded as well.

Hopefully the standard of the league as a whole continues to increase as a result of this - more and more talented players will continue to move here, especially with the Brasilian league in bits. I'm all for leagues around the world increasing their standards - albeit spending fortunes in the process.

Why do you care ?

Serious question ?

Why do you care ?

Serious question ?

Always enjoyed and had an interested in foreign leagues. All stems from watching Vasco da Gama against Corinthians, in what might have been a copa libertadores final about 16 years ago when I was just getting properly into football.

Since then I've always followed the main South American leagues in Brazil and Argentina - mainly reading about them in FourFourTwo but retaining a keen interest. Although with a lot of big name players moving back recently Brazil has had a lot more exposure.

Have followed the MLS since beckham moved over and going to games while over in the states also helped my interest, again I'll try and at least watch their 'Match of the day' style highlights shows and maybe a live game a week - the same as I do with the Bundesliga highlights on ITV and the European football show on BT sports.

The Chinese league could be the next one my interest moved towards. If the overall standard increases it could be a pretty competitive league and coverage will start to become more readily available.

Is it okay that I have an interest in football from around the world?

Hopefully this has an absolutely mental effect on world transfers. 'Mon the Chinese.

Yup. There could be an argument that some of these signings are made for raising the profile of the Chinese league but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few moving to the EPL next season when the bonkers money starts getting paid out.

Straight up venture capitalism, imo.

• 1 month later...

Mario Balotelli has received offers from Turkey and China but it is believed he would prefer a move to China. Jiangsu lead the race

It's a shame Supras is banned.

I would have loved to see him go on some rant about the Chinese leauge being the new hotbed of football or some such other guff.