F1 2016

kerrdavidson95

Yes, I'm sure he is but he's at maximum earning potential and that's why his retirement is such a shock to me. He's maybe earned about £30m and he could probably earn another £50m. Would you walk away? I wouldn't!....

You're kidding on??
If I had 30 million I'd happily retire. Why put yourself through more stress when you can chuck it at the very top.
Delighted he won the WDC and he can have a good life with his wife and baby and forget about the pool of sharks that is F1

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:

You're kidding on??
If I had 30 million I'd happily retire. Why put yourself through more stress when you can chuck it at the very top.
Delighted he won the WDC and he can have a good life with his wife and baby and forget about the pool of sharks that is F1

This. Plus don't forget that most F1 champions do continue to earn money even after they retire due to various endorsements and advertising. It's not as if he's going to stop earning completely.

You're kidding on??

This....He can now eat n drink whatever he wants as opposed to the silly regime the drivers undergo nowadays. He's earned the right to chill oot n forget about childish wee p***ks like Hamilton.

Eta Hamilton interview about this but crikey Lewis really does fill every millilitre of the bitter c**t bucket.....utterly 5yr old spoilt brat pish from a supposed grown up.

This....He can now eat n drink whatever he wants as opposed to the silly regime the drivers undergo nowadays. He's earned the right to chill oot n forget about childish wee p***ks like Hamilton.

Eta Hamilton interview about this but crikey Lewis really does fill every millilitre of the bitter c**t bucket.....utterly 5yr old spoilt brat pish from a supposed grown up.

I think you probably have to take what happened to Bianchi into account. My guess would be that incident hit a lot of drivers hard and probably made a few of them (and their families) consider if it's worth racing.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Capture.PNG

:lol:

It remains one of the biggest mysteries in F1 how Maldonado managed to win a Grand Prix. What is even more baffling is that he finished the season on 45 points, with 25 of those coming in Spain. Even Kobayashi managed to finish that season with more points!! :o

He knew this season was a one off and he doesn't have the ability or bottle to battle someone as good as Hamilton long term.

I hope it's Vettel or Alonso who replace him, though Bottas would be another interesting choice. The opportunity probably comes a little early for Wehrlein or Ocon. Perez is another driver who I think deserves another chance at a competitive team. It would be great to see all the top teams filled with top drivers again if it's Alonso and hopefully the new rules see them all challenging.

21 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

He knew this season was a one off and he doesn't have the ability or bottle to battle someone as good as Hamilton long term.

I hope it's Vettel or Alonso who replace him, though Bottas would be another interesting choice. The opportunity probably comes a little early for Wehrlein or Ocon. Perez is another driver who I think deserves another chance at a competitive team. It would be great to see all the top teams filled with top drivers again if it's Alonso and hopefully the new rules see them all challenging.

The opportunity has come for others who have less F1 experience than the Manor drivers, Hamilton himself for example. I said Wehrlein would be an obvious choice but I just think that with Vettel unsettled at Ferrari there could be something there, it will cost. Vettel also appears a more outgoing personality than Rosberg and might be able to deal with the inevitable psychological battle with the spoilt brat and put him in his place.

On 02/12/2016 at 22:07, thepundit said:

Yes, I'm sure he is but he's at maximum earning potential and that's why his retirement is such a shock to me. He's maybe earned about £30m and he could probably earn another £50m. Would you walk away? I wouldn't!....

He wasn't a very happy camper and very reluctant to go through another season with this same bullshit. Believe me he has made his money and that has nothing to do with it.

Another season tied into a contract alongside the most difficult of team mates. Rosberg won the title, he knows there is only one way to go now and this is his tenth season. There's also a performance issue and he might have set himself this goal a while ago and stuck with it, so he knows his motivation and his hunger for success won't be as much as the likes of some of the young up and coming drivers. Performance wise he might be feeling he has peaked and this season maybe he hasn't been happy with himself and noticed a small drop off, also the constant pressure of his team mate who has shown on a few occasions will put personal goals ahead of his team. Rosberg is more of a team player.

Keke Rosberg also retired early after only 8 seasons as an F1 driver and winning the title in 1982, he retired at the end of 1986 and I'm sure after a poor season at McLaren with Prost as his team mate and with the likes of Senna coming through he knew his chances of another title was unlikely. I think the same is true of his son and its very likely there has been a father son advice chat.

For the future I think Nico will follow in his Dad's shoes and drive in the DTM and also sportscars, he might enjoy the more laid back atmosphere in those two disciplines.

Historically there have been F1 drivers who have retired as Champions (Mansell, Prost) and others (a past double World Champion springs to mind) who locked into a contract have also quit. Sometimes because they could not compete with a team mate or for other reasons, rather than simply being dropped or missing out on a drive.

1 hour ago, thepundit said:

Seems more like Alonso's name was brought up to him and he was just being polite. I may be wrong.

More chance of Button getting the seat! :)

Yeah he was asked directly and said it is a driver they have to consider. The rumours, reflected in the bookies odds, say it is almost certainly going to be a trial one year contract for Wehrlein.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived