Non-League clubs live on TV

HibeeJibee

16 hours ago, Anfield 1977 said:

This figure would be consistent with the then agreed rate for a ten minute edit of a league match, which was 100 Guineas to be split between both teams which concurs with your total of £105. Scottish Cup matches and internationals were obviously more expensive and commanded higher fees.

I have no data regarding televised matches for that particular Saturday, 29/12/1962,  but among the six  First Division  fixtures to go ahead were Celtic V Falkirk, St Mirren V Rangers and Partick V Kilmarnock.  There were just three postponements in Division 1 - the games at Airdrie, Dundee and Dunfermline.

I suspect the weather may not even have been a factor in this instance and that Scotsport may have planned to cover the Junior Cup game regardless of postponements.

It is worth pointing out that both Sportsreel and Scotsport were permitted to broadcast ten minutes of two senior matches at this point and later that season the STV show featured two first division games PLUS the Junior Cup semi final between Glenafton and Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

Thank you for explaining about the standard television fee that was shared between the two clubs.  I had thought that £52 10s 0d was a very precise amount for a club to receive. I think you are right that they must have planned to cover the Irvine Victoria v Glenafton Athletic match.  It is possible that on say the Friday they considered the First Division matches in Glasgow and Paisley were at risk of postponement and they might be safer heading down the Clyde coast. The Vics’ pitch had been heavily sanded that meant the players had a good footing. Coincidentally the match referee was reported as “Ian Foote (Glasgow)” and must have been one of Scotland’s leading referees early matches as a referee and probably his first television appearance!

6 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Thank you for explaining about the standard television fee that was shared between the two clubs.  I had thought that £52 10s 0d was a very precise amount for a club to receive. I think you are right that they must have planned to cover the Irvine Victoria v Glenafton Athletic match.  It is possible that on say the Friday they considered the First Division matches in Glasgow and Paisley were at risk of postponement and they might be safer heading down the Clyde coast. The Vics’ pitch had been heavily sanded that meant the players had a good footing. Coincidentally the match referee was reported as “Ian Foote (Glasgow)” and must have been one of Scotland’s leading referees early matches as a referee and probably his first television appearance!

It is interesting that the Juniors received the same fee as the League clubs actually.

The figure illustrates the increase in payments for television coverage when compared to the £40 paid to Aberdeen and Hibs for the first visit by TV cameras to Pittodrie three years earlier on Boxing Day 1959. This was incidentally also by STV .