Bratislava

Not a common poster to Pie and Bovril, however it must be better for tips on travel for Scotland than my club's site.

Me and my mates are in the supporters club for Scotland and are looking to go to a couple of away games. Having vaguely priced the away matches in terms of flights I was pretty amazed to see Edinburgh to Bratislava costing near £800 in flights. I used Skyscanner, but I'm not sure that sum is right. Kaunas costed £150 so there's clearly a massive disconnect.

Any advice on travel and flights for these games in general?

Return flights Manchester to Vienna are currently around £170. I'm flying out Sunday afternoon, 1 night in Vienna then through to Bratislava for 2 nights. Flight back to Manchester is around 10am from Vienna on the Wednesday. Can pre book taxis from Bratislava to Vienna airport for 40 euros.

We're flying into Brno in Czech Republic which isn't too far by train to Bratislava. Don't think the match will be played there though!

Don't get the train to Bratislava, get the bus which is the same price if not cheaper, arrives in Bratislava closer to the city centre and has complimentary tea & coffee, TV screens you can plug your earphones into, and allows bevvy. Both journeys take around an hour and a half from here so it's not a huge deal, but I've never been let down by Student Agency buses (studentagency.cz, despite the name you don't have to be a student)/

I should also add, direct flights to Brno are via London by Ryanair, and are cheap. The airport is only 15 minutes from the town centre as well, and if you're not planning on sampling the far superior Czech pub scene the airport bus stops right outside the bus and train station, which are about a minute's walking distance from each other.

Don't get the train to Bratislava, get the bus which is the same price if not cheaper, arrives in Bratislava closer to the city centre and has complimentary tea & coffee, TV screens you can plug your earphones into, and allows bevvy. Both journeys take around an hour and a half from here so it's not a huge deal, but I've never been let down by Student Agency buses (studentagency.cz, despite the name you don't have to be a student)/

Thanks for the info mate. Much appreciated!

I'll second this, trains over there are a bit of a nightmare and can be expensive. We travelled around Budapest/Bratislava/Prague/Vienna using Eurolines - the European arm of National Express. http://www.eurolines.co.uk/

The buses are really nice, clean and comfortable, has wifi (usually) and the journeys were pretty short. We also got free water. Very cheap as well, the bus station is a bit scary but Bratislava itself is nice if a bit small.

Watch out when you are eating there - there is a nice place called Slovak Pub which does good food and we had no problems with but there are a few dodgy places that do a menu for X number of euros but then they'll add in taxes and stuff and so it costs a lot more - just maybe check what's included before you order!

Trains are an absolute piece of piss and can be booked easily in advance for no money. The game will almost certainly not be played in Bratislava - either Žilina or Trnava. Žilina is a good two and a half hours north.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Booked me and the missus for this.

Glasgow to Heathrow and Heathrow to Vienna with BA on Monday10th and back on Friday14th, Flights were about £240 each.

Get bus from Vienna airport to Bratislava. Still to arrange transport to game on Tuesday through TAMB.

Booked for 4 nights in the Ibis Bratislava Centrum.

Overall, this was quite a bit cheaper than going to Malta in September!

• 2 weeks later...

Booked for this one now.

Fly Edinburgh - Stanstead - Brno then train to Bratislava on the way out. Two nights in Bratislava. Train to Vienna then fly Vienna - Oslo - Edinburgh.

Would have liked to get a night in Brno on the way out but wife wants to head straight to Bratislava.

Archived