Last Man Standing Fundraising Idea

tellyboy

Apologies if most clubs already run these but we have a new guy on our Committee who started a new fundraiser for us and it has taken off in dramatic fashion so thought I would share it with all. It should run for around 4-8 weeks but our first one lasted 4 weeks and we are almost finished our second one which is on week 4 next Saturday and we are down to 5 people left. Here is how it works:

£10 entry per player

Based on English Premiership matches.

You pick one team per week to win (if they draw or get beat you are out)

You cant pick the same team again in the same competition- No picking Man City every week not that it matters this season!

The last man (or woman) standing wins the pot

There are variations on the rules. I hear some work on the basis that if your team draws you receive a yellow card and two yellows you are out. Some operate on a rollover basis if all the players lose in one week. Eg we have 5 left and if they all lose we let them play again the following week. Some LMS Competitions rollover where all are invited back in and pay £10 again and it starts a double pot. (I can post our rules for any club who wants them)

Here are our financials though which are most impressive and I think we can grow it. First competition attracted 104 which was split 50/50 with club so £520 to club and winner (which was a player, its transparent!)

Our second one has attracted 173 entrants so £865 to club and the winner! We have perhaps been lucky however even in an 8 week period that would be a good earner.

We operate ours by Facebook and the organiser just posts an update of fixtures, who is left and has a spreadsheet which is uploaded every week.

I believe it is quite common out there but I had not heard of it. If your club does not operate one feel free to join ours but lets hope most clubs can do one and its is a fun way of fundraising.

Our new Committee guy also did a one off Lottery draw for Hospitality at a game for 10 people. Again done by Facebook he took in 59 entrants paying £10 a head to win it and it was based on the Lottery Bonus Ball on a certain date. It was sold out quickly and he plans to do another one in March.

Great to see a young guy come in with such simple but effective ideas. Was formerly with an Amateur side as Manager and when they folded we approached him to come and help and he has certainly done so.

Good luck!

Taken part in a few of these in the past and like victor says they have been among friends where winner takes all. Good fun with chance of winning 100 for a tenner over a period of around 6 weeks. However when half of the pot is being donated to a football club I suspect there would need to be a very large number of participants resulting in a huge payout for it to have the same appeal. The figures you're quoting tellyboy are impressive and it would be very interesting to see this time next season (you will most probably be playing in the north league) when the novelty has worn off if those amounts are being sustained. Kudos to the young man running it too , reaching so many people to receive there money not to mention the time and effort that goes into doing it properly has to be commended. Wouldn't be a problem for a big club like Kelty, a well run club like Dundonald or a club on the up like Kennoway but how could a wee ,run down, club facing extinction like Glenrothes achieve this?

Make hay whilst the big yellow thing shineth!!

Archived