Plan to start watching after the groups.

greenockraver

Obviously the increase in teams means that the only 8 from 24 will be eliminated at this stage. This will undoubtably mean that the Euros group stage will be incredibly watered down as for most regulars, this stage will be a formality. For this reason I look forward to entering my interest at the last 16 stage.

There will obviously be a couple of matches that may be considered exceptions .

Anyone thinking the same?

No. You'll miss out on the opportunity to see unusual teams playing at a major tournament, and big names taking an unexpected scudding at the hands of minnows.

Ah, wait, you're a Celtic fan. Sorry, carry on.

Think I'm off work for lot of the group stage but not going to go out my way to watch it. Some sort of play off round would be better. I would have liked them to try 5 groups of 4 with winners and best runner up getting a bye and remaining runners up in the play off round.

Not bother watching football on TV? No thanks. I'll watch every single game that I can, absolutely love Euros and WCs, and it's always good to watch some different teams as well as the usual home nations and Spain/France/Germany games.

Football is football I don't only watch it for the big teams so if San Marino vs Liechtenstein was at the euros I would watch it just as much as I would watch Germany vs Spain.

24 teams is going to make for a ridiculously flabby tournament and three teams going through from most groups reduces excitement. I'd vote for an 8 team finals tournament with proper leagues used for qualification that continue to the next round of World Cup/Euro qualifiers. Would ensure its the very best teams that qualify and teams like Gibraltar will be matched to more suitable opponents.

Will still watch most games in the summer tho.

24 teams is going to make for a ridiculously flabby tournament and three teams going through from most groups reduces excitement. I'd vote for an 8 team finals tournament with proper leagues used for qualification that continue to the next round of World Cup/Euro qualifiers. Would ensure its the very best teams that qualify and teams like Gibraltar will be matched to more suitable opponents.

Will still watch most games in the summer tho.

You're not going to like the one in 2018, m8.

If you scaled up the World Cup to the same proportion of Fifa members that a 24 team euros has then there would be 93 teams in 2018.

Aye...that's not really feasible though, so they just made it 32 teams. Seems to work quite well.

Obviously the increase in teams means that the only 8 from 24 will be eliminated at this stage. This will undoubtably mean that the Euros group stage will be incredibly watered down as for most regulars, this stage will be a formality. For this reason I look forward to entering my interest at the last 16 stage.

There will obviously be a couple of matches that may be considered exceptions .

Anyone thinking the same?

the qualifiers were said to be so watered down qualification would be a formality for the so called big teams

so is your money on Holland or Denmark to win it overall?

A lot has been said about the three teams potentially qualifying part as a negative, but could well work as a positive. Teams that lose both of their opening games usually head home, and if you've got two giants in a group, that means the entire group can be sewn up after those two games. With this system, it's possible for one of those teams on zero points still to qualify with a last day win, so it'll keep things more competitive that way.

Historically the group stage has always been a bit dour, especially at World Cups (2014 aside) but I get the feeling that this one will be different.

Archived