Albion Rovers v Ayr United Select

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently so, I was there Preston, Stevo, then Preston

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Cool, would have been decent to see Preston getting a hatty, but it's just as good to see Stevo on the scoresheet again!

We really needed that today, really difficult place to go but a good win. That Stevo goal... Wow! The strike that rattled the cross bar was probably even better and was so unlucky not to see it hit the back of the net.

Half a team missing and rarely out of third gear.

Stevenson much better today and will be frightening at this level once Doc and Adams free him up to go forward more.

Credit to Wardrope - thought he got stuck in and gave us the dig that's been missing in recent weeks.

That said, Albion were woeful. Expected a far tougher test but the two early goals killed the game. Might have been different had it gone longer at 0-0 but they looked a fairly sorry bunch.

We got our comeuppance against a team which was simply too good for us. I didn't fancy us to get anything from today's game but it did show up our weaknesses. Need three points from the next two games to stave off our slump.

An unwelcome but understandable Rovers blip after three weeks without a game - Ayr got off to a flying start and the game was out of sight after 5 minutes. The first goal came from a silly foul and a breakdown in inter-Dunlop communications; the second was a first-rate screamer. Stevenson gave the best individual performance I've seen this season - part of me actually wanted to see his second strike go in; if we were going to concede a third I'd rather it had been another wonder goal. Even without three of their key players Ayr coasted the game.

It was probably the worst the Rovers have played so far this season - another afternoon of squandered sitters - but they improved in the second half with Mark Ferry and Ally Love (McRobbie an unfortunate and ineffective interim) - both Ferry and Love should be given runs in the first team. I don't have long-term worries though; there were times in last year's championship season when we played worse than that against worse opposition, and Darren Young always had us bouncing back.

Hows he doing?

Jordan Preston scores goals x

I thought he was very tidy as per. Hit the post at one point and just generally got on fine with no fuss, most of the team was the same.

A bit disappointed with Michael Donald trying to get Josh Mullen sent off, going down holding his face after the most minor of tangles.

This was right in front of me, but was watching Stevo so missed it. Mullen certainly spent the rest of the game acting like an utter fanny.

I particularly enjoyed when he was slevering everywhere and punching the pitch

Josh is an eager young player, keen to impress. Didn't have a good game today as our team wasn't in the contest, but he's having a good season at the highest level at which he's been involved.

Considering the makeshift team we put out that was an impressive display. Stevo was different class, the type of performance I was expecting from him but obviously he wasn't match fit until today. I also thought Preston was much sharper with Moore up front to help him, a quick word for Mick Wardrobe he was a bit nervous to begin with but came onto a game in the second half.

Rovers were a shadow of the team that we played earlier in the season and I worry a bit for them that 4th place spot is looking harder to achieve now, even with the games in hand.

Archived