Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

Never saw the day I might even think about not going to a Mo game but I don't like this proposed set up one little bit. The SPFL no doubt see some benefits but the idea of Welsh and Irish clubs coming in at this level is outrageous. If it was possible for L2 and L1 teams to boycott this competition I'd urge them to do so. I reckon most fans will and I'm a long time fan.

This competition in my opinion should anyway just be for L1 and L2 teams with a Hampden final so each has a realistic chance of success over the years.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welsh/Irish teams = meh.

U20s = pish idea.

I see there's similar uproar with the EFL trophy down south. Petitions already set up to stop Premier League development squads taking part.

I know that everyone likes to see something a wee bit quirky or different but these steps are just a bit much.

All that Wilderness rage deleted :(

Anyhoo:

Shite idea.

No interest in playing U20s - will not go if drawn with Falkirk.

Welsh and Northern Irish teams entering in Round 4 is a joke.

Hibs or Utd playing Hearts or Dundee's U20s would be a joke.

Introducing a system that could see Celtic or 'Rangers' U20s playing 'certain' foreign teams is a joke.

Etc.

The Irish teams that are in The Petrofac Cup are Rangers friends Linfield and Stranraer's friend Coleraine and The Welsh teams are Bala Town and The New Saints and not Airbus Broughton fc and Newtown!

Err, Crusaders are in the competition, not Coleraine.

Never saw the day I might even think about not going to a Mo game but I don't like this proposed set up one little bit. The SPFL no doubt see some benefits but the idea of Welsh and Irish clubs coming in at this level is outrageous. If it was possible for L2 and L1 teams to boycott this competition I'd urge them to do so. I reckon most fans will and I'm a long time fan.

This competition in my opinion should anyway just be for L1 and L2 teams with a Hampden final so each has a realistic chance of success over the years.

I feel the same way MOFOREVER. Wouldn't bother if we played 11 trialists if it was allowed. P45 for dopey Doncaster.

If there was a 'consensus' among the clubs themselves then Doncaster would be able to achieve nothing and would be out on his arse. A slight flaw in the bullshit line put forward at every opportunity, when the majority of clubs are actually engaged in furthering their own interests. Which in this case was achieved by the prospect of a better TV deal, prize money and sponsorship profile for a moribund, third-ranked cup competition.

Oh and hate to break it to you, but if perma-raging League Two clubs chose to 'protest' by either fielding dross sides or by their fans not attending games, absolutely no-one in the rest of Scottish football would notice the difference. 

How is that c**t Doncaster still in the hot seat?? Still can't get my head around the clubs voting him at the heid honcho when the SPFL was formed...

This challenge cup is a complete and utter farce. Here's hoping it's a resounding failure. I honestly hope we go out at the first round as this is going to cost us money rather than gain any...

Have you forgotten who the alternative was?

I know who he is but can't off the top remember his name. Whilst the game kinda stagnated with him in charge of the SFL, he didn't really do anything to piss me off.

He tried to get clubs to allow Rangers to join the 1st Division.

If there was a 'consensus' among the clubs themselves then Doncaster would be able to achieve nothing and would be out on his arse. A slight flaw in the bullshit line put forward at every opportunity, when the majority of clubs are actually engaged in furthering their own interests. Which in this case was achieved by the prospect of a better TV deal, prize money and sponsorship profile for a moribund, third-ranked cup competition.

Oh and hate to break it to you, but if perma-raging League Two clubs chose to 'protest' by either fielding dross sides or by their fans not attending games, absolutely no-one in the rest of Scottish football would notice the difference.

Unlucky. I was talking about supporters, not clubs.

They're taking this seriously, they have a friendly vs Bala in a fortnight. :lol:

http://www.crusadersfc.com/

The Northern Irish and Welsh representatives have been doing this for a good few seasons now as preparation for the, (comparatively), big money available in Europe.

How is that c**t Doncaster still in the hot seat?? Still can't get my head around the clubs voting him at the heid honcho when the SPFL was formed...

This challenge cup is a complete and utter farce. Here's hoping it's a resounding failure. I honestly hope we go out at the first round as this is going to cost us money rather than gain any...

Well the clubs obviously had a lot more info on the two candidates than you do.

And no it isnt going to cost you money. In fact it will make you more than last year even if you go out in the first round.

Well the clubs obviously had a lot more info on the two candidates than you do.

And no it isnt going to cost you money. In fact it will make you more than last year even if you go out in the first round.

It will cost us money I won't go into detail but even the 10% to cover expenses is a pittance

All that Wilderness rage deleted :(

Anyhoo:

Shite idea.

No interest in playing U20s - will not go if drawn with Falkirk.

Welsh and Northern Irish teams entering in Round 4 is a joke.

Hibs or Utd playing Hearts or Dundee's U20s would be a joke.

Introducing a system that could see Celtic or 'Rangers' U20s playing 'certain' foreign teams is a joke.

Etc.

It was hilarious all the welts attacking Raith Rovers for hailing the changes to the tournament, it turns out that they were just the first team to do so.

I did a random check of ten teams OS and the message is broadcast loud and clear.

The proposal for change the SCOTTISH Challenge Cup has nothing to do with generating extra TV money, sponsorship or prize money - it was just an added bonus to draw attention away from the real issue.

The original competition was for the 30 SFL sides. later 2 were added from lowland/highland to make it a straight out 32 team knockout competition. And this competition served its purpose. It gave smaller teams outside of the SPL a chance at silverware, even clubs further down the leagues had a chance. I remember when my team Arbroath only narrowly missed out on a final spot after losing in extra time, away to Queen of the South.

To reach a final of any competition is special, certainly if you are a club that cant compete with the bigger budgets of other clubs. The Challenge Cup was the diddy diddy cup, but no one can argue that if their team had reached the final and won it they wouldnt celebrate winning it. Im not talking about open bus parades or 25 year anniversary dinners. Im talking about a good day out for the fans and a trophy in the cupboard the. something for the players to enjoy also.

But now this cup is no longer a Scottish Competition. Its no longer a cup for the smaller teams. And its not a cup for the fans.

its now another SPFL cockwomble wet dream.

The SPFL voting struture means that no matter if the 20 teams (64% of the teams that compete in the cup) from League 1 and 2 were against the idea, the top members from the SPFL board could vote it through regardless due to their overall majority in the voting rights. The old SPL couldnt give two sh1ts about the Challenge Cup before as it had nothing to do with them. Now they are the SPFL they see it as a chance to have their to tier under 20's teams playing in this cup ahead of clubs that have been around for years. Clubs such as Nairn County, Pollock, Linlithgow Rose, Tayport, Fort William, Auchinleck Talbot, etc etc etc should have been first in line for a chance to compete in this cup. Not under 20's..... and certainly not Northern Irish and Welsh teams.

Yes they have opened up a few more places for Highland and Lowland teams, but whats the point. I dont see many clubs or their fans having much interest in this cup if they are asked to go play Killie Under 20's or host a game against Partick Under 20's. And when we see TNS vs Linfield in the final it will be seen as an international joke.

Its no longer the SCOTTISH Challenge Cup. Its now the Diddy Diddy Multi-National Youth Development Cup.

Archived