Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

I like the Challenge Cup.

It provides the only realistic chance for part-time clubs to reach a Semi-final or Final, plus the only chance most clubs have to win a national cup... I thought it was a good idea to invite the Highland and Lowland champions in to make a round 32 in R1, and it was a good idea to regionalise R2 (on midweek) in the same way as R1... It had a bit of a niche in the market with R1 opening the season and QFs > SFs > Finals held on international weekends.

That said I didn't think it was good when they moved the Final back to April.

I don't mind the idea of adding more Highland and Lowland clubs, plus that could see some more variety... I'm not a fan of adding Irish or Welsh clubs, certainly not their weaker teams and certainly not entering at a later stage than actual SPFL members... I find the whole idea of putting 'B' teams into a first-class cup competition unwelcome.

I can't beleieve that the clubs outside the top division would go for this, and if it came from a committee, surely the clubs themselves would be entitled to a vote on it if they strongly disagreed, since it would be changing the rules of a competition.

I'm not that keen on the new league cup format, but OK, it isn't completely ridiculous and is worth a shot to see how it goes. This though, if it is seriously to happen, is without doubt the worst attempt at restructure of a league or cup I have ever heard of.

Someone can check SPFL rulebooks on their website, but it's almost certainly like League Cup i.e. set by SPFL Board, not AGM vote.

That last picture has made me change my mind actually. That is fantastic.

Don't get too excited: their floodlights are retractable as they interfere with the landing approach. Evening game presumably means no flights?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it they're still scrambling for a sponsor to finance this nonsense, which is why there has been radio silence on the plans for months. It sounds absolutely shite in every single way and I hope supporters boycott this competition.

There must be another bookies that they can find somewhere who'll sponsor it, surely?!

It wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be used to set a precedent for bringing B teams into the main competitions - specifically, the League proper.  And the argument will be that it's to help our youngsters develop by playing against senior pros, which is reasonable enough.

I don't mind the idea though: it's more interesting than the soul-less, missed opportunity that the Challenge Cup has been until now.  It should have been the national competition for league and non-league part-timers only; it's just a second-rate consolation cup without any real identity as it is. 

There must be another bookies that they can find somewhere who'll sponsor it, surely?!

It wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be used to set a precedent for bringing B teams into the main competitions - specifically, the League proper.  And the argument will be that it's to help our youngsters develop by playing against senior pros, which is reasonable enough a load of bollocks.

fixed. Otherwise, yeah.

I take it they're still scrambling for a sponsor to finance this nonsense, which is why there has been radio silence on the plans for months. It sounds absolutely shite in every single way and I hope supporters boycott this competition.

I'll certainly be boycotting it if these plans are true, what an absolute shambles. Whoever is behind it, Doncaster no doubt, should get their jotters for even coming up with the idea.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be used to set a precedent for bringing B teams into the main competitions - specifically, the League proper. And the argument will be that it's to help our youngsters develop by playing against senior pros, which is reasonable enough.

I have a system for that which is better than b teams, what we should do is allow clubs with talented youngsters who aren't yet good enough for their 1st teams to rent the services of these players to other clubs who do consider then good enough. These clubs will then play these players in competive games alongside senior pros and against other senior players, introducing them to the do or die nature of first team football.

I have a system for that which is better than b teams, what we should do is allow clubs with talented youngsters who aren't yet good enough for their 1st teams to rent the services of these players to other clubs who do consider then good enough. These clubs will then play these players in competive games alongside senior pros and against other senior players, introducing them to the do or die nature of first team football.

Nah don't think that'll work mate, not the same as playing for the mighty rangers b or the glorious celtic b.

Just struck me that this would also mean the possibility of ties likes Aberdeen 'B'/Dundee 'B' v Dundee United... Hibs v Hearts 'B'...

Any idea who the Welsh and Irish teams are yet?

As mentioned on an earlier page - if as reported they'd be the highest non-European qualifiers, those would be:

Coleraine, Glentoran,

Newtown, Airbus UK Broughton

Excellent idea. You should be SPFL CEO with this quality of thinking.

I agree it would cover the cost of travel as well, I'm guessing everyone would pay £150 to play in a competitive match for their team and that would easily pay for the bus to Wales.

I'm well up for strutting my stuff* infront of 150 hardcore Welsh football fans.

*Limping off after 17 minutes

Guest Flash

As mentioned on an earlier page - if as reported they'd be the highest non-European qualifiers, those would be:

Coleraine, Glentoran,

Newtown, Airbus UK Broughton

How many teams is this?

Six.

UK away please.

Archived