2016 - watching BBC Alba abroad

dee_62

Just checking to see if anyone has done this recently - used the BBC i-player to watch live telly?

I'm off to India in a few weeks and it's coinciding with a live Forfar match (what's the chances eh?)

I've an i-pad to take with me (or a Kindle Fire) and I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent success and what software/VPN they've used. (I think the BBC may have got a bit smarter with regard to stopping VPNs).

Cheers.

From recent experience (though hee-haw technical knowledge) you're much more likely to succeed by watching Alba on a TV streaming site than a VPN. Tried a couple of the free VPNs over the past few months and they were completely useless, after working fine a few years ago.

Just checking to see if anyone has done this recently - used the BBC i-player to watch live telly?

I'm off to India in a few weeks and it's coinciding with a live Forfar match (what's the chances eh?)

I've an i-pad to take with me (or a Kindle Fire) and I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent success and what software/VPN they've used. (I think the BBC may have got a bit smarter with regard to stopping VPNs).

Cheers.

I used to use Expat shield and it worked fine until it started to insist on giving me a US IP. It could be worth a try.

Another free service is Cyber Ghost. If you don't mind waiting to be connected and sometimes having to try two or three times to connect successfully ( I think it's deliberate to try and get you to pay. I took advantage of one of their super duper special offers only to find that my ' package ' did not include the UK).

If you are there for a while I would definately recommend Private Internet Access. Good fast and reliable service. Worth checking to see if they are offering a free trial.

ETA Whichever you use :- Clear cookies, reboot and open the VPN before using your browser otherwise the first IP you are assigned will still be recognised.

I used to use Expat shield and it worked fine until it started to insist on giving me a US IP. It could be worth a try.

Another free service is Cyber Ghost. If you don't mind waiting to be connected and sometimes having to try two or three times to connect successfully ( I think it's deliberate to try and get you to pay. I took advantage of one of their super duper special offers only to find that my ' package ' did not include the UK).

If you are there for a while I would definately recommend Private Internet Access. Good fast and reliable service. Worth checking to see if they are offering a free trial.

ETA Whichever you use :- Clear cookies, reboot and open the VPN before using your browser otherwise the first IP you are assigned will still be recognised.

That PIA looks a good deal if reliable. Anyone tried it for accessing UK gambling sites in Spain?

That PIA looks a good deal if reliable. Anyone tried it for accessing UK gambling sites in Spain?

Been using it for a few months now. Don't know about gambling sites but it has been good for what I've used it for - BBC iplayer, STV etc. Good tech and customer support too.

• 1 month later...

Used Tunnel Bear with the hotel wifi - worked really well. The only problem was that Tunnel Bear gives you 500MB free per month and, even though a google search hinted that would probably be enough - it had disappeared by half time. So, second half was spent refreshing i-message when the Mrs could be bothered giving me any updates! At least the beer was good!

Used Tunnel Bear with the hotel wifi - worked really well. The only problem was that Tunnel Bear gives you 500MB free per month and, even though a google search hinted that would probably be enough - it had disappeared by half time. So, second half was spent refreshing i-message when the Mrs could be bothered giving me any updates! At least the beer was good!

Tunnel Bear is 3.11 a month for unlimited use.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 18.01.2016 at 16:23, dee_62 said:

Just checking to see if anyone has done this recently - used the BBC iplayer to watch live telly outside UK?

Cheers.

On 18.01.2016 at 17:11, Kamenitza said:

I used to use Sahrzad and it worked fine until it started to insist on giving me a US IP. It could be worth a try.

Another free service is Aeroshield. If you don't mind waiting to be connected and sometimes having to try two or three times to connect successfully ( I think it's deliberate to try and get you to pay. I took advantage of one of their super duper special offers only to find that my ' package ' did not include the UK).

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
I want to stream it to my TV without VPN :huh:

Archived