Junior Football needs to evolve or it will die

pollokfan87

This guy clearly has been blinkered. I have been to many Talbot games in recent years where the crowd numbers less than 200.People only come out for the bigger games against the bigger clubs. To think Talbot moving in to a higher league system is feasible is bonkers.People won't even travel up to Glasgow when they are playing Pollok Petershill etc.Never mind having a situation where they have to travel to the other end of the country.

Must be shite having fans that don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How on earth are clubs doomed if they were to move to the pyramid? Playing the same teams as they are currently?

I'd imagine given the almost certain increased level of governance as part of the pyramid there would be pressure on them to commit to achieving licenses and carrying out ground improvements - for a lot of the smaller sides who effectively play on public parks in front of a couple of dozen spectators this would be a bridge too far. They'd either turn amateur or fold.

I'd imagine given the almost certain increased level of governance as part of the pyramid there would be pressure on them to commit to achieving licenses and carrying out ground improvements - for a lot of the smaller sides who effectively play on public parks in front of a couple of dozen spectators this would be a bridge too far. They'd either turn amateur or fold.

I would expect and would want a degree of 'licencing' applied at all levels, but it would be clearly stupid for current entry level requirements that apply to tier 5(and with addition of floodlights up to league 1) to be required at tier 7 or 8, more suitable requirements would clearly be more sensible. Gradual increases of off-feild standards is obviously part of the pyramid,but they would be gradual.

'They'd make all them get a licence' is tom Johnstone levels of hysteria.

I would expect and would want a degree of 'licencing' applied at all levels, but it would be clearly stupid for current entry level requirements that apply to tier 5(and with addition of floodlights up to league 1) to be required at tier 7 or 8, more suitable requirements would clearly be more sensible. Gradual increases of off-feild standards is obviously part of the pyramid,but they would be gradual.

'They'd make all them get a licence' is tom Johnstone levels of hysteria.

It would be if I'd actually said it.

It obviously doesn't fit your narrative, but what I actually said was that the lowest levels of the North juniors - clubs from small villages normally run by a handful of committeemen and watched by a handful of locals - would likely be doomed to slow extinction financially and administratively by even a modest increase in the level of governance and ground requirements it might entail.

It's hypothetical anyway - you've got no more definite idea than I have what the requirements would be for any putative lower tiers to the current setup, so to claim something would be "clearly stupid" doesn't rule it out.

We're talking about the SFA here...

Given SoS and EoS have entered the pyramid with virtually no additional requirements and everyone else are held to pretty low standards I think it's pretty clear strick requirements are not going to come into force.

And if you can't handle basic governance then you shouldn't be in football at all.

Summer football would be one of the best changes we could make in my opinion.

The difference between watching in the pishing rain at 2 degrees and pishing rain at 20 degrees would get fans through the door lol. But in all honesty the spfl teams wouldn't be playing and I'm sure with a big advertising push and campaign these fans could be persuaded to go see their local team. It only takes a few games and you can really feel invested in the club and that will keep them coming back when their team might not be playing.

I would love to be standing watching the football with a beer in the sunshine in the middle of the summer when there is nothing else on and I'm not the only one of course.

Summer football would be one of the best changes we could make in my opinion.

The difference between watching in the pishing rain at 2 degrees and pishing rain at 20 degrees would get fans through the door lol. But in all honesty the spfl teams wouldn't be playing and I'm sure with a big advertising push and campaign these fans could be persuaded to go see their local team. It only takes a few games and you can really feel invested in the club and that will keep them coming back when their team might not be playing.

I would love to be standing watching the football with a beer in the sunshine in the middle of the summer when there is nothing else on and I'm not the only one of course.

Last season Arthurlie finished ther season at the end of May and started pre season friendlies in July, there were teams playiung after us, the problem of moving to summer football is where do you have the spare month when we are basically playing for eleven at present?

Playing through summer would mean more games would be played, Saturday's as well as during the week. That would surely cut off an extra couple months for a break during the winter months. However this has been discussed on countless times and there are pros and cons to both.

Personally I'd love to see some summer junior football. I work a fair amount of Saturday's so getting to some games on a Monday or Wednesday night throughout the season would be great.

Last season Arthurlie finished ther season at the end of May and started pre season friendlies in July, there were teams playiung after us, the problem of moving to summer football is where do you have the spare month when we are basically playing for eleven at present?

As the other poster has said mate more games would be played due to better weather so the season wouldn't be forced to go on for so long due to postponements etc.

Have 2 months off December and January or however long it may be.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loony-joons-junior-football-dying-7226509#EJEBEDIrFtEaWE7J.97

Written by a player, a goalkeeper at that. One with a brain. Shame the Record had to turn it into the usual football article. At least he didn't have to say what his favourite food was, favourite drink or favourite film star.

The players can contribute a lot to any discussion about the future of junior football. After all they have to cope with a lack of advance warning of fixtures, last minute postponements, playing in harsh conditions, not to mention reinstatement and how clubs are run.

Ardeer have played 5 league games since the start of the season and have only played 2 meaningful games since 17th Oct = a total farce,one of many in the junior game . Don't try and kid on that this is a semi professional sport.There is nothing professional about the powers that be in the junior game. It's glorified amateur stuff all round. "Big" teams should look to their future now while they still have somebody to play against.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loony-joons-junior-football-dying-7226509#EJEBEDIrFtEaWE7J.97

Written by a player, a goalkeeper at that. One with a brain. Shame the Record had to turn it into the usual football article. At least he didn't have to say what his favourite food was, favourite drink or favourite film star.

The players can contribute a lot to any discussion about the future of junior football. After all they have to cope with a lack of advance warning of fixtures, last minute postponements, playing in harsh conditions, not to mention reinstatement and how clubs are run.

It appears in the Daily Beano say no more.

The biggest problem we face is demographics - the crowds following the juniors are mainly older as are most committees.

Younger people largely don't want to get involved in the running of the clubs. Or when they do their input maybe isn't always welcomed by all.

I was at my wee cousins birthday party today (all boys around 10/11) and all they did was argue over what English PL team they supported.

Kids don't even have an interest in Scottish football anymore never mind the juniors.

Utterly soul destroying.

Now that's what I call a well written article. Thumbs up

That's another thing that is good about summer football. They are off for 2 months when there isn't any football on TV for them to watch.

If you get people to go to a game the chances are they will enjoy it because the product for the price is really good. My dad always rubbished the juniors when I said come to a game but then he eventually came along and he really enjoyed it and has been to a few. Kids would be the same I'm sure. Kids will love the fact they can get so up close and personal with actual footballers.

Junior football struggles a lot because of the amount of football on TV at the weekends so we need to take advantage of the times where there is no TV on offer and just so happens the weather is a lot better

Archived